Author Topic: Join Me different bass drum patterns  (Read 1517 times)

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end
Join Me different bass drum patterns
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »
The Strongroom/13th Floor Mixes have different kick patterns in the song's verse.

Different recording or just heavily edited? Maybe it's edited, because I think I hear the original pattern bleeding from the other drum mics in the Strongroom & 13th Floor mixes.

Does anyone know why was it changed?

Offline SIRJARVIS01

Re: Join Me different bass drum patterns
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
it kind of sounds like bleed from what I could tell. Sounds like they gave the movie studio stems, not the actual tracks from what I'm hearing. Just rearranged

Offline playdead616

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »
Join Me in Death was recorded with the straight beat kick pattern that we hear in the Strongroom Mix.
The 13th Floor production team didn't have anything to do with the song.
It was edited for the final album as a directive choice for the overall flow. Happens all the time when singles from albums are released before the album is complete.

The endless river, forever and ever...

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
Join Me in Death was recorded with the straight beat kick pattern that we hear in the Strongroom Mix.
The 13th Floor production team didn't have anything to do with the song.
It was edited for the final album as a directive choice for the overall flow. Happens all the time when singles from albums are released before the album is complete.
You're right! I was listening to the Rockfield Monitor mixes one day and realized the verse beat being different again, but it's not exactly the same as on the Strongroom mix. The Rockfield mix only has the kick on the 1 and 3. The Strongroom one has something more going on in the low end, it's like a blend of the original and the album versions. Are you hearing what I'm hearing? IMO they did the right choice changing the beat for the album, it sounds catchier.

Offline playdead616

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
It was recorded as a single 8th note kick on beat 1 and a single on 3.

The Rockfield Monitor Mix is an earlier phase, unfinished mix.

The "strongroom mix" label was given to distinguish the studio where the "13th floor mix" was mixed, opposed to calling "13th floor mix". This is because it was not mixed by the music supervisor for the film.

The Rockfield Mix doesn't have much reverb on the drums or vocals, hence no echo on the bass drum.

The Strongroom Mix version has more effect on the drums, and the kick is echoed for effect or emphasis. Maybe as ghost notes?The song developed and demanded slightly different phrasing of the bass notes. They almost nailed it on the Strongroom Mix, but not close enough to where they wanted it I guess. They also added more reverb and warmth to the keys.

I write and produce drums and have done similar things in the edit. Last minute changes can be made at any stage of a mix usually.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:04:05 PM by playdead616 »

The endless river, forever and ever...

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 12:53:03 PM »
Oh yeah, the possible use of delay/echo didn't come to my mind at all. It's kind of rare to put something like that on the bass drum I guess, not talking about kit reverb though.

I know that the Rockfield Monitors are just the raw mixes from the sessions, and it's very interesting to hear all the things that were left out from the final versions of the songs. Parts of YS666 and I Love You were cut out, I'd never have noticed the percussion in Wicked Game, Poison Girl originally had a longer intro, the acoustic guitar tracks on Heaven Tonight are buried on the album, no fade out in RHIMA etc.