Author Topic: Which HIM album was the biggest flop for you?  (Read 696 times)

Offline SIRJARVIS01

Which HIM album was the biggest flop for you?
« on: January 04, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
I got into their music in 2005. And from the very beginning,  I noticed they had a very unique sound, and learned to love Dark light as a whole before moving on to older albums starting with GLS. at first, I believed the band had 2 singers. Moving on from GLS I pretty much listened to them in order and loved everything they put out. When venus doom came out, I believed it was an album which was underappreciated due to it not really having any memorable songs at first listen. I love that the band followed up with a live DVD and found myself In awe of that album to the point where I listened to it every day. After hearing a snippet of Heartkiller i found myself bobbing my head along and eventually appreciating the album exactly as it was, no more no less. The tour following the album was great in my opinion although it was a little commercial for my taste. Tears on tape was pretty much a cookie cutter formula for what I thought was everything I love about what they do .

The biggest flop I'd consider was perhaps the SWRMX album which I was excited about for some reason.  The fact that I cant find a melody my head likes just drives me crazy.  What do you guys think?

Offline six6sixways2love

Re: Which HIM album was the biggest flop for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 05:44:02 PM »
I used to think DL was super weak for years because that was the first internationally commercial album of theirs. As time has gone on, I find myself skipping more Screamworks tracks when they come up on shuffle. DL sounds like a masterpiece these days.

I'm only counting Studio albums. b-sides, greatest hits, remix albums not included.
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Night Shade

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »
I'd have to say Tears on Tape.  It's a perfectly fine album, but it didn't "wow" me, and I thought it wasn't the best end to their amazing run.
"I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no Melancholy" - Charles Baudelaire

Offline HelouHill

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:37:13 AM »
Screamworks. I really like the songs and those acoustic-versions are great, but the album is still last one on my list. When the album was released, I wasn´t first in the line to get it, actually I listened it much later and I don´t have any idea why. Maybe I was too busy with my life at the moment  8) GLS and RR was already released when I found the band, and I remember where I was when albums were released. It´s like...I have memories of each era of (almost) every album except Screamworks. Maybe I need to make these memories and pretend it was released today  ;D

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
as time goes,....and after 18 FUCKING years of being a HIM fan, i cant believe how this years passed!!!!!!! .... i think that Screamworks has just one solid song on it - Shatter me with hope. I like Sword of Democles version, but album version is great too. Even demo of the song is solid.
The rest of the album is boring. I used to like Love the hardest way, but maybe only because of the first verse of the lyrics. The song is catchy yeah but its like Boyzone played HIM song. Sorry but Screamworks is so FAR from His Infernal Majesty, that its even impossible to call it HIM. Yeah of course Dark Light is more or less pop too, DSBH either. But these albums have one important advantage - songs. When you play DL - there is not a single weak song. Maybe someone will fight over Dark Light song or maybe The Face Of God, probably Drunk on Shadows too... these songs are much better than any of Screamworks songs. Actually i used to skip The Face of God, now i usually listen to this song mainly from the entire DL album....DSBH has only one weaker song - Close to the flame and one lame album filler and unimportant song - Dont close your heart. Again song was fucking AWESOME - it should have been a single
So Screamworks is an album that i really dont need.
On the other hand - i cant imagine my life without GLS666 - the first album is always the best. Its All Tears one of the most badass songs ever, cruel riff, so fucking perfect.

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:44:21 PM »
Dark Light. The first four songs are amazing, but once you hit “Dark Light”, it goes downhill for me. Behind The Crimson Door and In The Nightside of Eden are good, but would feel much weaker on a stronger album. While I don’t particularly love the aesthetics of Screamworks, I like it more than Dark Light overall.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.