Freedom
0 (0%)
Blunt
0 (0%)
Kill My God
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 04:20:03 AM

Author Topic: What's your favorite Flat Earth song from None For One+ discussion  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Ziggy18

Review to follow
Run Away From The Sun

Offline HelouHill

Re: What's your favorite Flat Earth song from None For One+ discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:11:01 AM »
The Blame didn´t hit me at first but now it feels different, whole album is great!

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 04:20:37 AM »
I've had the album downloaded for a little while now and I still haven't worked myself up enough about it to quit being lazy and transfer it over to my phone so I can finally listen to it.

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:02:45 AM »
I voted Noble Swine but I also really like None For One and Limelight( gas said he wrote this song and Anthony wrote lyrics).  At first I didn't like the singer but he is growing on me.  Linde sounds amazing, almost like Tony I.  Gas joining Linde is a blessing after leaving HIM.  So far I really like this CD and hope they tour in the states.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 01:34:45 AM by Ziggy18 »
Run Away From The Sun

Offline Inferno

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »
I only listened to the album once and I didn't find it very good at all. Don't mind me though, I think my love for this kind of music died along with HIM.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 04:05:54 PM »
Comparing Flat Earth's sound to HIM should be considered blasphemy!

But, in all seriousness, I do get a bit of a wannabe Ville vibe from the singer dude. I can't really blame him, I guess.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
eh, in the last 10 years HIM has had a very generic sound (studiowise) anyway. Say what you will, but I Feel Wallace would've been a good producer for them at the time, Tim Palmer has a very clean, predicatable way of producing all the way back to the ALSN Album. Flat Earth, so far isn't bad as far as sound goes. TBH the sound of the album excluding the composition is what I've wanted HIM to do for a while now. Crunch guitars, A clear big snare and distorted vocals like in RR

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 07:37:10 AM »
eh, in the last 10 years HIM has had a very generic sound (studiowise) anyway. Say what you will, but I Feel Wallace would've been a good producer for them at the time, Tim Palmer has a very clean, predicatable way of producing all the way back to the ALSN Album. Flat Earth, so far isn't bad as far as sound goes. TBH the sound of the album excluding the composition is what I've wanted HIM to do for a while now. Crunch guitars, A clear big snare and distorted vocals like in RR
Ville, Finnish interview 2005:
"Andy Wallace has done many albums that I love, like Nevermind by Nirvana and all that. But he took our material and made the melancholy disappear from it, I don't know how. It sounded fucking good, but it sounded like radio-friendly American rock."

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
I personally thought the entire album ended up sounded radio friendly anyway.  Especially the first 4 tracks, 3 of which I heard on KROQ. The slower, more dark melancholy tracks were good but weren't played live during the tour anyway, except play dead. I mean, I thought In the night side of eden was good but it wasn't anything that great, the cage was awesome and so was venus in our blood, none were ever acknowledged.

"Andy Wallace has done many albums that I love, like Nevermind by Nirvana and all that. But he took our material and made the melancholy disappear from it, I don't know how. It sounded fucking good, but it sounded like radio-friendly American rock."

They also never really strayed from Tim, which I thought hurt them. John fryer would have been good for DL and ToT , SW should have been done by Hilli

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
Man, ITNSOE is one of my favorite HIM tracks of all time. I absolutely love it. But yeah, The Cage and Venus are both great songs as well that are pretty much always forgotten about. The reasoning as to why they were bonus tracks instead of on the album proper never really made sense to me, but I'm glad they threw them our way regardless.

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Man, ITNSOE is one of my favorite HIM tracks of all time. I absolutely love it. But yeah, The Cage and Venus are both great songs as well that are pretty much always forgotten about. The reasoning as to why they were bonus tracks instead of on the album proper never really made sense to me, but I'm glad they threw them our way regardless.
I personally thought the entire album ended up sounded radio friendly anyway.  Especially the first 4 tracks, 3 of which I heard on KROQ. The slower, more dark melancholy tracks were good but weren't played live during the tour anyway, except play dead. I mean, I thought In the night side of eden was good but it wasn't anything that great, the cage was awesome and so was venus in our blood, none were ever acknowledged.

They also never really strayed from Tim, which I thought hurt them. John fryer would have been good for DL and ToT , SW should have been done by Hilli
NightSide is my favorite track on the album. To me The Cage and Venus are great songs.

I think Tears On Tape is fine just the way it is. Even if the album lacks something little, it still sounds like HIM. But I agree, that SW should have been done by Hiili. Tim Palmer should have mixed it as well.

Offline Eric616

• Picciotto
  • There is no end to the hurting - I love you...
Re: What's your favorite Flat Earth song from None For One+ discussio
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
The worst mixed album is Dark Light. And I’m not sure if Warner Brothers had a hand in it. Cause Tim’s other mixes aren’t bad.

I’d love to hear Dark Light with the guitar given more room in the mix.
We are the ones with moonlit hearts - run to me
And we belong to another world
Run to me

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
The worst mixed album is Dark Light. And I’m not sure if Warner Brothers had a hand in it. Cause Tim’s other mixes aren’t bad.

I’d love to hear Dark Light with the guitar given more room in the mix.
I know what you mean. Dark Light has a more natural sounding feel to it. It's not as processed as the others.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
In the nightside of Eden was actually really well written but my mind couldn't wrap-around the melody. It kind of reminds me of the song love's requiem. When I think of longer songs done by the band I think of songs like sleep walking past hope or the path. I don't know why though songs just grab me more than 1st two... One of my favorite albums mentioned on here personally is SW.  Aside from the production and the poppy paramor like sound The album was written very very well And I absolutely love all the melodies I kind of wish the song ofe to solitude  Would have been played more if at all during shows.

I personally liked the entire tears  album. Although to be honest I really don't listen to the interludes too much. Production wise I think the album venus doom  Was 100% done  Correctly. The entire sound of the album represents everything him should sound like

Offline Night Shade

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »
Honestly, Dark Light is my favorite HIM album.  Maybe it's a girl thing, but I like the (somewhat) softer, radio friendly vibe.  And Vampire heart is my favorite HIM song, hands down (although Dark Light and Heartache Every Moment come close).

Tears on Tape is fine, but not up there with my favorite albums.  But WLSTD has to be counted as one of their greatest, imho.

I'm partial to Screamworks too.  The Acoustic Funeral is such a beautiful song (I'm getting girly again - which is why I wish this forum had heart emojis  ;D)
"I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no Melancholy" - Charles Baudelaire

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
Acoustic funeral was a gem! Loved it a lot!

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »
As I've gotten older I've begun to appreciate Screamworks more than what I did after the initial hype of it coming out wore off. Certain things, though, like the lyrics "here's to the pain, the light of the oncoming train” along with the jumpy beat behind it still just makes me cringe listening to it. And then of course there's the overall production, which in and of itself was actually pretty good I feel, but I think that it could've definitely been toned down a bit to include more of that "Finnish melancholy” or whatever it was that made HIM unique and not sound so whiny and whimpy.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 12:26:05 AM »
As I've gotten older I've begun to appreciate Screamworks more than what I did after the initial hype of it coming out wore off. Certain things, though, like the lyrics "here's to the pain, the light of the oncoming train” along with the jumpy beat behind it still just makes me cringe listening to it. And then of course there's the overall production, which in and of itself was actually pretty good I feel, but I think that it could've definitely been toned down a bit to include more of that "Finnish melancholy” or whatever it was that made HIM unique and not sound so whiny and whimpy.

Some of it was cringeworthy,  but not too bad. I agree on the toning down of the music. There are probably demos or alternative takes where ville sings at a deeper octave like he does during the bleed well intro...during the dark light making of, you can hear ville recording Vampire heart in his deep Johnny cash like voice but it never made it to the album. I remember when I saw him playing it acoustic to demonstrate to Tim how he should record it and my teenage brain believed there was an acoustic version floating around lol

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 02:46:01 AM »
during the dark light making of, you can hear ville recording Vampire heart in his deep Johnny cash like voice but it never made it to the album.
it is on the album. listen carefully. When recording the vocals in studio Ville and many many singers sing more vocal tracks that are mixed together. These tracks are usually sang in different octaves. What you saw on the DL making of is in the backround. Probably every HIM song was recorded like that, even demos are done like that.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »
during the dark light making of, you can hear ville recording Vampire heart in his deep Johnny cash like voice but it never made it to the album.
it is on the album. listen carefully. When recording the vocals in studio Ville and many many singers sing more vocal tracks that are mixed together. These tracks are usually sang in different octaves. What you saw on the DL making of is in the backround. Probably every HIM song was recorded like that, even demos are done like that.

it starts at "you can't escape the wrath of my heart" he's singing in a deeper octave than what was dominant in the mix. Personally, I love when the vocals are mixed with the lower octaves dominating the higher ones, like during the chorus of I Love You or even In Joy and Sorrow. BUT if I had to pick my favorite studio rig, it's be the Vinnfox relics