Author Topic: Former HIM And AMORPHIS Members Join Forces In FLAT EARTH  (Read 23102 times)

Offline Inferno

Former HIM And AMORPHIS Members Join Forces In FLAT EARTH
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »
Former HIM members Mikko "Linde" Lindström (guitar) and Mika "Gas Lipstick" Karppinen (drums) have joined forces with ex-AMORPHIS bassist Niclas Etelävuori and POLANSKI singer Anttoni "Anthony" Pikkarainen in a new band called FLAT EARTH.

Based in Helsinki, Finland, FLAT EARTH is "anything but your run-of-the-mill 'supergroup," according to a press release. "The fearsome foursome is an ideal amalgamation of love for music, every bandmember's unique skillset and battle-tested charisma, completed with a dynamic of a band that has been playing together for aeons.

"The audible musical signposts point to the heydays of alternative rock, take a nonchalant bow to the forefathers of all things heavy with a pinch of wistful psychedelia," the press release continues. "Magnetically melodic, playful, exhilaratingly unconstrained and thoroughly permeated by vocalist Anthony's passionately melancholic overtones, FLAT EARTH delivers in the same parcel both the beauty and the beast.

"Gas and Niclas's robust-yet-subtle rhythmic dynamic work pave the perfect runway for Linde's guitar solos to freewheel and Anthony's maudlin-yet-contemplative singing that gives the band's sound a tint of mawkish desperation that sets them apart from any other band you've heard."

FLAT EARTH is recording its debut album at Finnvox in Helsinki with producer Hiili Hiilesmaa, who has previously worked with HIM, AMORPHIS, THE 69 EYES and APOCALYPTICA, among others. A label deal for the effort has not yet been secured.

FLAT EARTH is:

Mikko "Linde" Lindström (HIM) - Guitar
Mika "Gas Lipstick" Karppinen (HIM) - Drums
?Niclas Etelävuori (AMORPHIS) - Bass
?Anttoni "Anthony" Pikkarainen (POLANSKI) - Vocals

Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-him-and-amorphis-members-join-forces-in-flat-earth/
Crowdfunding: https://fundyou.io/project-details/4190ab37
Official Flat Earth Website: https://flatearth.band/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:05:49 PM by Inferno »
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

666WTLOnVinylFTW

Re: Former HIM And AMORPHIS Members Join Forces In FLAT EARTH
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:41 AM »
There's only one problem: where's the music? The description of the sound they're aiming for sounds good, but how am I supposed to know if I want to donate if I don't know if I'm going to like the music? Kind of a bold move to ask for crowd funding to finish an album they're already working on with no distribution set up without giving us song samples to judge first, no?

Offline Inferno

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:13 AM »
There's only one problem: where's the music? The description of the sound they're aiming for sounds good, but how am I supposed to know if I want to donate if I don't know if I'm going to like the music? Kind of a bold move to ask for crowd funding to finish an album they're already working on with no distribution set up without giving us song samples to judge first, no?
I'd be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that these guys aren't exactly nobodies... We know what they're capable of, but if you're really curious about the sound they're describing then watch the video on their crowdfunding page and there are also these short clips of Gas and Niclas:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be7-rUogtrM/?taken-by=tonypanties
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcVinKdF1Yy/?taken-by=niclas.etelavuori
https://youtu.be/rKdgaWJ_RRY
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:11:10 AM by Inferno »
[/

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
such a dumb name for a band LOL

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:37:58 AM »
I'd be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that these guys aren't exactly nobodies... We know what they're capable of, but if you're really curious about the sound they're describing then watch the video on their crowdfunding page and there are also these short clips of Gas and Niclas:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Be7-rUogtrM/?taken-by=tonypanties
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcVinKdF1Yy/?taken-by=niclas.etelavuori
https://youtu.be/rKdgaWJ_RRY

I watched those videos before I posted in the farewell tour thread about the band. I thought that short clip of Gas recording drums sounded cool, but it's not nearly enough for me to judge what the final product is going to sound like. I don't know anything about the other two guys. That's what I'm worried about the most. Going from Ville doing the songwriting to this Tony Panties guy presumably, I just need to hear some actual material first before I can support them. And I know both Gas and Linde have done their share of writing songs for their other projects besides HIM, but I haven't liked anything else Gas has ever done and only really the first Daniel Lioneye album with Linde, so I have my reservations about this band until I hear otherwise.

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:39 AM »
GAS IS BACK!!!!
im definetly going to follow this one with Linde being such an amazig guitar player.   i havent responded in a while but the farwell in north carolina was my my favorite sthow of all the 10x.   It was a best of set for sure and i finally got to hear rebel yell after getting booted from the fillmore in silver spiring.   The only thing i missed from final Finland show was Stigmata and i should have held a sign for that or SWPH. 
Run Away From The Sun

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:52:36 PM »
that name is cringe worthy though, I really hope none of the band members are actually "flat earthers" LOL!

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list

Offline Len777

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
Pre-ordered last night, can’t fucking wait!

Offline Len777

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »

Good enough for me!

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:29:54 PM »
I didn't realize until just now how insanely limited all of the crowd funding options are. It must be a mistake? The only option left is just the album itself - which is fine - but once that one is gone as well, the goal still won't be reached by a long shot. Once the incentives are gone, who's going to donate all that much? Those who do will still have to purchase the album wherever it's sold whenever it comes out, if it ever does, even if they donate that specific amount or more? I know you can more than likely donate whatever amount you want without choosing to receive anything in return, but most people, like myself, are going to want to get something for their donation and not have to purchase anything separately afterwards. They should at least add an unlimited digital download option for $15 or something like that if they're going to keep the amount of physical items so curiously low. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to donate. By the time that happens everything might be sold out in which case I'll just say screw it if I still have to buy the music later. Why would someone want to pay twice as much as the other guy for the album just because they were slow to decide or find out about it? 100 copies just isn't enough.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:54:57 PM by 666WTLOnVinylFTW »

Offline Inferno

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »

Good enough for me!
That was awesome!
[/

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 09:00:50 AM »
You guys are easy to please lol.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »
me personally, i dislike the band's name, from the videos on the instagram and youtube i disliked everyting(music), but everyone can have a different taste + the general hype after the HIM's split up,... it makes sense
this did not start well for me and as i know myself i think i will not like this band as i dislike Gas' Hallatar
i am very conservative when it comes to music and i dont automatically like everything that has anything to do with former HIM members
i only liked Daniel Lioneye's Vol 2 and Vol 3 albums, King of Rock and Roll is shit for me, the same with other stuff that done former members ..... but i admit that i loved when Ville hosted on Musta Paraati tribute gig in Tavastia, it was his best side shit so far. I hope he will come up with something i will like. I hope he wont become the second John Frusciante... from genius to experimental electronic music...

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 10:19:28 PM »
me personally, i dislike the band's name, from the videos on the instagram and youtube i disliked everyting(music), but everyone can have a different taste + the general hype after the HIM's split up,... it makes sense
this did not start well for me and as i know myself i think i will not like this band as i dislike Gas' Hallatar
i am very conservative when it comes to music and i dont automatically like everything that has anything to do with former HIM members
i only liked Daniel Lioneye's Vol 2 and Vol 3 albums, King of Rock and Roll is shit for me, the same with other stuff that done former members ..... but i admit that i loved when Ville hosted on Musta Paraati tribute gig in Tavastia, it was his best side shit so far. I hope he will come up with something i will like. I hope he wont become the second John Frusciante... from genius to experimental electronic music...

I appreciate the honesty in your statement. there are MANY fans out there that just jump on the hype train and automatically get offended if someone disagrees with their opinion. Ive gotten kicked out of a group for simply disagreeing. Just like I can't say I'm excited for Ville's solo project, but I cant say I won't check it out...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:21:29 PM by SIRJARVIS01 »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 02:25:46 AM »
seriously guys, what can beat this?  :'( 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1i0BeKalQ

wtf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_2YJrcTEU  - it sounds exactly as my warm up... it is so...random, omg

is it just me, or anyone else hopes that none of their projects and upcoming stuff will work well so they will re-group and HIM will continue ?

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 01:58:44 PM »

wtf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti_2YJrcTEU  - it sounds exactly as my warm up... it is so...random, omg

is it just me, or anyone else hopes that none of their projects and upcoming stuff will work well so they will re-group and HIM will continue ?

i agree with you 100 percent, man!

Offline Inferno

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »

I doubt that. I get the notion that it was mainly Ville who wanted to breakup the band. That's just how it looks to me.
[/

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »
I’m sure it was Ville who caused the whole thing, at the end of the day it was Ville’s band. As harsh as it sounds and don’t get me wrong they are all accomplished musicians in their own right especially Burton and Linde, they needed him more than he needed them.
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »
i also feel like it was mostly ville's call.....I mean it sounds fishy they'd attempt a remaster, tour, lose a band member and gain a new one only to leave a few months later? I feel like there was a bit of creative differences. I feel like Ville is mostly responsible for how the tour was run. The choice to not record anything, release a little something as a goodbye I feel was all Ville. Same robotic setlist, autopilot preformances, Ville looking annoyed, fans feeling "taken for granted" Prehaps they will reunite when they see how different it is without each other. I agree with the others needing Ville more than he needs them.....I guess the final verdict will be when the remaining HIM Fans finally see what Ville's project will sound like. I imagine poor feedback will make him think twice...not that I WANT him to fail, I would just rather see those five guys succeeding together than to watch them pinch for pennies with their music idividually

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
As harsh as it sounds and don’t get me wrong they are all accomplished musicians in their own right especially Burton and Linde, they needed him more than he needed them.

Exactly. If Ville does a solo album in the HIM style, it's not going to suck just because the other guys weren't involved. If it sucks it's going to be because he's exhausted all of his ideas in that area and the songs are mediocre, just as they would've been if the band never broke up and it was a true HIM album instead. I'm not saying that everything would sound absolutely identical, especially to people like us because we have everyone's particular playing style engrained into our memory, but Ville was HIM. He can get other musicians to perform the music he writes and it will still sound like we expect it to provided the songs are any good to begin with.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:00:34 AM by 666WTLOnVinylFTW »

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wnLNGOvv72s

1:18-1:42 Ville essentially confirming what we’re saying, remember watching this back in 2010 and thinking that’s brutally honest.
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
I think it's going to end up shaking out like this. Imagine a chef at a restaurant who comes up with all the dishes and recipes. He fires his entire cooking staff, and then hires all new ones. Will the recipes changes? No. They might be cooked slightly differently, but ultimately it's still the same dishes. If Ville goes the full band route again, that's what it will be. HIM without HIM.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
A lot of hate on Gas' Facebook after he officially announced the band on his page. Everything ranging from the name, to the fact that they're asking for crowd funding, to of course the fact that there's no Ville. Things are going swimmingly.