Author Topic: remastered box set live tracks  (Read 2881 times)

Offline SIRJARVIS01

remastered box set live tracks
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
this is something I've been noticing for a while now....I loved the fact that we got live stuff in the box set but I was surprised to find out that most of the recordings sound very similar to bootlegs currently available everywhere. Eg. Rockpalast, semifinal, caribia....most of all I noticed that the recording of the beginning of the end from 1999 sounds exactly the same down to the time from an audio source of one of the  bootleg tapes we could find on this site(excluding the tape noise which makes the guitar sound bouncy). with that being said do you guys think that the band somehow took bootlegs off the internet and remastered them professionally it really wouldn't surprise me because honestly the quality is barely any difference especially our diabolikal rapture it kind of sounds a little fuzzy when it comes to the highs in the EQ.  hell..... the bootleg from that same show sounds even better than what we got on the official release. Plus the clips from 2002 an 2003 sounds like what we got on the love metal archives DVD...maybe the true love metal archives isn't as large as we all think. I at least expected for the recordings to be mixed a little different then what we've heard on the DVD or previous bootlegs.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
Re: remastered box set live tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
no
if there is some broadcast - means profi video and audio is their soundboard - they have the same audio as the broadcast company - same rig, same input and basically there is some audio tech who mix the audio tracks together (Rock AM Ring 2010 is TERRIBLY mixed)
When it comes to the live track release - its the same source but only it is mastered in the studio and it is mixed in the studio - some producer does that , when there is a TV broadcast its mixed live by some sound tech - skilled obviously less than for example Hiili or anyone from the band really, they recorded so many stuff that they are already well skilled and experienced
You have that feeling that it is the same because "in general it is the same", but bootleg is a rip from TV (most of the time there is another rip of the audio from the video) and the live track on the release is from the original source (it is not encoded so many times as the bootleg usually is + it is mixed and mastered in the studio = clear and better sounding)
Maybe back in the days they did not have all tracks separately stored, maybe they were captured as it was mixed live only saved as a stereo track and done.... you know what i mean
Our Diabolikal Rapture sounds more fuzzy because it comes directly from their source , what we have on the bootleg was encoded so many times that it has lost 90% of the quality..... + CD is always "flat" and its compressed so ....

Offline Kir

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
Our Diabolikal Rapture sounds like shit because they took a crappy lossy encoded file for an official release.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
do you do remasters?

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 11:21:08 PM »
It's the same thing with the unplugged versions of It's All Tears and For You. They both are inferior to the versions that were already released a long time ago. They probably didn't have access to the original masters or couldn't find them and had to use a different source for those songs. We can assume that back in the day they weren't recording and storing all of their shows, and even if they were those tapes can wind up missing easily, so they would then have to rely on television and radio broadcasts, even bootlegs of those shows as you had mentioned, and they were probably dealing with a second or a third generation source of a recording of a broadcast and not a first generation flat soundboard feed. Hell, even a YouTube source is possible if they were lazy and desperate enough. It happens more often than you might think. They could've just avoided the whole thing entirely, though, and given us something that we hadn't heard before. The entire situation with the box set from top to bottom was just handled extremely poorly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:38:25 PM by 666WTLOnVinylFTW »

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
It's the same thing with the unplugged versions of It's All Tears and For You. They both are inferior to the versions that were already released a long time ago. They probably didn't have access to the original masters or couldn't find them and had to use a different source for those songs. We can assume that back in the day they weren't recording and storing all of their shows, and even if they were those tapes can wind up missing easily, so they would then have to rely on television and radio broadcasts, even bootlegs of those shows as you had mentioned, and they were probably dealing with a second or a third generation source of a recording of a broadcast and not a first generation flat soundboard feed. Hell, even a YouTube source is possible if they were lazy and desperate enough. It happens more often than you might think. They could've just avoided the whole thing entirely, though, and given us something that we hadn't heard before. The entire situation with the box set from top to bottom was just handled extremely poorly.

I feel like they shouldve given us some whole concert shows

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »

Definitely. Or at least an entire disc's worth of live material from the album's time period on top of everything else. Or both, honestly. I look at what all these other bands have been releasing for their anniversaries of albums, and for a single album they're putting out three to four or more discs worth of extra material. Even though this box set was a band anniversary thing and not a specific album anniversary event, it still makes you wish they made that extra effort and went that extra mile to give us something truly special and not only eight bonus tracks per album; ones that they've already released before or a quick acoustic rendition done in Ville's kitchen. Just something more professional, thorough, and worth the asking price.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:35:31 PM by 666WTLOnVinylFTW »

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 12:59:02 AM »
Or at least stop re-releasing stuff we already have!!

I'd want a pro-sound recording of the deep shadows tour!!!! excluding stuff we've gotten already

Definitely. Or at least an entire disc's worth of live material from the album's time period on top of everything else. Or both, honestly. I look at what all these other bands have been releasing for their anniversaries of albums, and for a single album they're putting out three to four or more discs worth of extra material. Even though this box set was a band anniversary thing and not a specific album anniversary event, it still makes you wish they made that extra effort and went that extra mile to give us something truly special and not only eight bonus tracks per album; ones that they've already released before or a quick acoustic rendition done in Ville's kitchen. Just something more professional, thorough, and worth the asking price.

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »
I was really hoping to get at least one song that we never even knew existed before. Like Too Happy To Be Alive, for example. Besides that, a Greatest Lovesongs demo or two (or three or four) would've been great, or some pre-Kelo Club '97 live material would've been kinda cool to have. The re-recorded version of When Love And Death Embrace that we were supposed to get a long time ago would've been nice as well. I'd love to hear what the demos of The Sacrament and Sweet Pandemonium sound like. They're the only two that are missing from the 2002 demo with Mika and it would've been a perfect opportunity for them to complete the set for us.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
I was really hoping to get at least one song that we never even knew existed before. Like Too Happy To Be Alive, for example. Besides that, a Greatest Lovesongs demo or two (or three or four) would've been great, or some pre-Kelo Club '97 live material would've been kinda cool to have. The re-recorded version of When Love And Death Embrace that we were supposed to get a long time ago would've been nice as well. I'd love to hear what the demos of The Sacrament and Sweet Pandemonium sound like. They're the only two that are missing from the 2002 demo with Mika and it would've been a perfect opportunity for them to complete the set for us.
]

I feel like another thing ville needs to stop doing is ignoring the dark light to SW era. Theres plenty of content to be heard. The live stuff on the KL and Waob single was good. The whole VD 07 tour was great (my opinion their best live sound) and id love to hear what Andy Wallace produced for them

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 02:07:15 AM »
i dont care what they released and what they did not, every band has a tons of outtakes and versions and demos and recordings..... they wanna put out only the best in their opinion. I respect that.
When it comes to the band i think the most important are live concerts, every band should be doing music because of concerts to entertain the people and enjoy the energy on the concert. Just be there with the fans, knowing that every fucking person in the crowd is there for us, it must be awesome and the priority should be - lets have the best concerts, putting everything into it. We have a band in Slovakia, they play together like 27 years, they have been through a LOT, they released only 4 albums - they are touring all the time every year- their gigs are AWESOME! Playing setlist of 4 albums (the fourth album is kind of new so it has been only 3 albums until 2014) and you wont be bored on their gig.
HIM has 8 albums right? tons of songs, ability to do great covers, acoustic performance , whatever - they are far from being a great live band.

And when they release some live track - i just cant enjoy it as they are only playing the same songs over and over and so the live released track is always some overplayed shit like RHIMA or BABL (no offense but i these are singles, but definitely not their best songs) !!!!

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
I love the band and just think they should have more confidence in their music.

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
]

I feel like another thing ville needs to stop doing is ignoring the dark light to SW era. Theres plenty of content to be heard. The live stuff on the KL and Waob single was good. The whole VD 07 tour was great (my opinion their best live sound) and id love to hear what Andy Wallace produced for them

I've often wondered what an Andy Wallace produced Dark Light would sound like. Unfortunately he was fired very early on in the process so there aren't any tracks that they could put out that he did. It just goes to show you the amount of pressure the band was under to live up to their new major US record deal and make an album that would reach as broad of an audience as possible without completely alienating their current fanbase. Andy Wallace isn't a bad producer by any means. He's worked with some huge artists and done some very good and very successful albums in the past. I think he would've done a fantastic job with Dark Light as well and that the decision to bring Tim in instead plays into your statement about them not having confidence in their music in the sense that Ville already pretty much knew what the results would be with Tim but wasn't so sure with Andy and couldn't take the risk of putting out a flop right out of the gate. It was the safe route. That very well could've killed their careers right then and there if Dark Light didn't sell like it did.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:33:54 AM by 666WTLOnVinylFTW »

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
I guess the only way to know would be to listen to the demos of DL and create a judgement from there....They broke through in 05 and both WOAB and KL were done very well. I feel ville doesn't like to steer very far from a certain sound studio wise (especially vocal-wise...he's been altering his voice since DSBH)
]

I've often wondered what an Andy Wallace produced Dark Light would sound like. Unfortunately he was fired very early on in the process so there aren't any tracks that they could put out that he did. It just goes to show you the amount of pressure the band was under to live up to their new major US record deal and make an album that would reach as broad of an audience as possible without completely alienating their current fanbase. Andy Wallace isn't a bad producer by any means. He's worked with some huge artists and done some very good and very successful albums in the past. I think he would've done a fantastic job with Dark Light as well and that the decision to bring Tim in instead plays into your statement about them not having confidence in their music in the sense that Ville already pretty much knew what the results would be with Tim but wasn't so sure with Andy and couldn't take the risk of putting out a flop right out of the gate. It was the safe route. That very well could've killed their careers right then and there if Dark Light didn't sell like it did.
. But live, man those guys can really play! I feel like the true stage fright comes in the studio rather than the tours...Wallace would've done a great job...BUT what I meant about their confidence is the fact that in my opinion, Ville feels like he needs to be picky rather than just let the material speak for itself after the release, that's probably why we've gotten duplicates of certain songs.. Not to sound arrogant, but almost every HIM fan loves and appreciates every piece of archive release  we can get regardless of how confident the band feels about it, which is what makes them one of a kind. These guys deserve so much more than what they've gotten.

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »
i dont care what they released and what they did not, every band has a tons of outtakes and versions and demos and recordings..... they wanna put out only the best in their opinion. I respect that.
When it comes to the band i think the most important are live concerts, every band should be doing music because of concerts to entertain the people and enjoy the energy on the concert. Just be there with the fans, knowing that every fucking person in the crowd is there for us, it must be awesome and the priority should be - lets have the best concerts, putting everything into it. We have a band in Slovakia, they play together like 27 years, they have been through a LOT, they released only 4 albums - they are touring all the time every year- their gigs are AWESOME! Playing setlist of 4 albums (the fourth album is kind of new so it has been only 3 albums until 2014) and you wont be bored on their gig.
HIM has 8 albums right? tons of songs, ability to do great covers, acoustic performance , whatever - they are far from being a great live band.

And when they release some live track - i just cant enjoy it as they are only playing the same songs over and over and so the live released track is always some overplayed shit like RHIMA or BABL (no offense but i these are singles, but definitely not their best songs) !!!!

I can't say I disagree with you these guys only put out a handful of Live tracks all of which are overplayed. I would like to know your opinion as to why you think the band is far from a good live band. in my opinion the DVD release from Los Angeles was done very very well they could have included some songs from Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights but they didn't I feel like that whole tour was different from anything else because it might have been the first time Ville was sober...BUT i feel like what also made the tour different was the fact that their sound seems to have "matured" during that time. Linde really opened up and showed tremendous guitar playing. Not to mention Burton having those gothic piano skills. Their new instruments sound very nice, however in the last few years valos voice hasnt been the same.

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 12:34:55 AM »
I fully agree with 616. The band's live show has never been anything special. It's always been just play the songs, stop a couple of times so Ville can mumble something inaudible to the audience, leave, come back for an encore, and done. But the band also had a certain energy and mystique about them that isn't there anymore. That's why it's so important that they keep things fresh with different songs and new arrangements each time they go out on tour to give the fans a different and unique show that's worth the money. Not to mention the fact that they play a shorter set to begin with than most headlining acts do, so it leaves less room for error. The last time I saw the them in 2014 (I believe) it felt like I was watching the same show I had seen them perform time and time again, and that's because they pretty much were. They sounded great, minus the obvious wear on Ville's voice, but the show itself was nothing new and very robotic, and I just couldn't truly get into the experience. The only real difference was the Tears On Tape songs, but that's pretty much been the way that they've been doing things for quite awhile now. They have the staples of the setlist that they always play and then they replace two or three lesser played songs with songs from whichever album they're promoting at the time. Once you've seen them live once you pretty much don't have to see them again if you're worried about missing out on something. It's like watching old reruns of your favorite TV show. You still enjoy it to a certain extent, but you also know the entire episode by heart and it just doesn't hit you the same way as it did when it was still new to you. Throw in some extended and deleted scenes, though, and it becomes something new and good again.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:40:44 AM by 666WTLOnVinylFTW »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 02:27:35 AM »
yeah Digital Versatile Doom is good because it was done on purpose, they had two nights to compile the materials for the DVD and it was all profi mastered, mixed and edited and it is indeed a great performance, but also it lacks spontaneousness... it was planned so they did their best, tried to make no mistakes. It came out 9/10 (one point down because of the setlist)
I prefer Semifinal 2003 DVD from ALSN digipak - that must have been one hell of a concert! I wish they finally put it together as it was - Bam Margera has it taped anyway and released it as a 15 years anniversary of Love Metal - in 2018.
2001, 2000,1998, 2004, 2015 and 2003 are the best!!!! 2003 is probably my favorite, just whenever i have a need for a great HIM stuff i always end up watching Taubertal 2003 DVD - Ville high on cocaine and drunk, performed it 10/10 , Linde also drunk and best. And Viva Overdrive 1998 follows it, i love that small performance - Its all Tears was so .... so.... aawww "fuck yeah". I wish they fucking released some 1998 full concert - with RR songs in it! No matter how i love Razorblade Kiss, i prefer that "virgin" early version of Razorblade Kiss from 1998 - its a pure awesomeness. Also I Love You from 1998 which is basically The White House version from Uneasy listening is fucking brilliant - Frankfurt 1998 - whoever taped this bootleg is my hero
but i need to add - 2015 tour was SUPERB!!!! At least the first gigs (I was at Fezen festival and in Bratislava) and it was fucking MAJESTIC! Seriously i think 2015 was probably their live peak, better than 2003 (altough 2003 is my favorite). Seriously guys i was shocked - me, ME!! I am always bitching and complaining - and i was amazed. At Fezen i could not speak they were amazing and i thought they wont do any better next day in Bratislava - but they did, Bratislava was so amazing, they enjoyed it and they were on fire - it was seriously that great! i have it taped - i know what i am talking about

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 09:39:32 AM »
yeah Digital Versatile Doom is good because it was done on purpose, they had two nights to compile the materials for the DVD and it was all profi mastered, mixed and edited and it is indeed a great performance, but also it lacks spontaneousness... it was planned so they did their best, tried to make no mistakes. It came out 9/10 (one point down because of the setlist)
I prefer Semifinal 2003 DVD from ALSN digipak - that must have been one hell of a concert! I wish they finally put it together as it was - Bam Margera has it taped anyway and released it as a 15 years anniversary of Love Metal - in 2018.
2001, 2000,1998, 2004, 2015 and 2003 are the best!!!! 2003 is probably my favorite, just whenever i have a need for a great HIM stuff i always end up watching Taubertal 2003 DVD - Ville high on cocaine and drunk, performed it 10/10 , Linde also drunk and best. And Viva Overdrive 1998 follows it, i love that small performance - Its all Tears was so .... so.... aawww "fuck yeah". I wish they fucking released some 1998 full concert - with RR songs in it! No matter how i love Razorblade Kiss, i prefer that "virgin" early version of Razorblade Kiss from 1998 - its a pure awesomeness. Also I Love You from 1998 which is basically The White House version from Uneasy listening is fucking brilliant - Frankfurt 1998 - whoever taped this bootleg is my hero
but i need to add - 2015 tour was SUPERB!!!! At least the first gigs (I was at Fezen festival and in Bratislava) and it was fucking MAJESTIC! Seriously i think 2015 was probably their live peak, better than 2003 (altough 2003 is my favorite). Seriously guys i was shocked - me, ME!! I am always bitching and complaining - and i was amazed. At Fezen i could not speak they were amazing and i thought they wont do any better next day in Bratislava - but they did, Bratislava was so amazing, they enjoyed it and they were on fire - it was seriously that great! i have it taped - i know what i am talking about

Are you saying what I think you're saying???? Will semifinal 03 really be released in 2018???? How do you know????

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
nah, just said that i wish they did it

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »

Are you saying what I think you're saying???? Will semifinal 03 really be released in 2018???? How do you know????

616,.FEZEN was indeed really amazingnot only that but I think their new Drummer does really well not to say that gas wasn't great but their new Drummer kind of adds a new life into the bandyou said that you give it A 9 out of 10 because of the set list what do you think they should have included I think they should have included maybe some songs from Deep Shadows probably should have included the sacrament razorblade kiss under the rose Rebel Yell When Love and Death embrace gone with the sin in joy and sorrow and heartache every moment. the whole Venus Doom tour would have been so much better with songs from Deep Shadows and Brilliant HighlightsI'm going to have to give you that it was planned and that's what lacks true life of the concert I heard the crowd was even told to behave themselves during the show...

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 07:48:25 PM »

if I Remember correctly, we are still missing The Funeral of Hearts from the 02 sessions

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »

if I Remember correctly, we are still missing The Funeral of Hearts from the 02 sessions
We are not. Ville said that multiple times, that Funeral of hearts was composed during recording of Love Metal, basically in studio And was put on the album as the last song when the rest was finished and recorded

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
Holy shit,  how did I not know that?
I'd also be curious to hear the alternative mixes of the deep shadows and brilliant highlights album.