Author Topic: Ville Sings ABBA's 'Knowing Me Knowing You' On MGT Album  (Read 8925 times)

Offline kellylugosisdead

• Picciotto
  • (undead, undead, undead)
    • Tumblr
Ville Sings ABBA's 'Knowing Me Knowing You' On MGT Album
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
British guitarist Mark Gemini Thwaite, MGT for short, has signed with Hanover record imprint SPV and is scheduled to release his first solo album, "Volumes", at the end of June. The lead single, "Knowing Me Knowing You", a cover version of the ABBA classic featuring guest vocalist Ville Valo of HIM, will be available from April 15, mixed by Tim Palmer and mastered by Maor Appelbaum.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hims-ville-valo-sings-abbas-knowing-me-knowing-you-on-mgt-album/#zjWOxs2RLWeeh5Z0.99

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:40:25 AM by Inferno »
"I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no melancholy." - Charles Baudelaire

letsmakehope.com

Offline Zhivago

Re: Ville Sings ABBA's 'Knowing Me Knowing You' On MGT Album
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
The song is supposed to play on some UK site tonight.

Info here:
http://saintscream.ru/

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 08:42:08 PM »
You can now hear the song at the same link. It's...ok. Ville doesn't sound like he really tried at all. Someone just needed a paycheck until he can get off his ass and get another HIM album out.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 03:38:53 AM »
Well, at first when that idea was represented i was  a little afraid .... "Ville sings ABBA song :D " but then i realized that HIM did all kind of weird covers like Backstreet Boys so i decided NOT to check the original ABBA song as i dont know it so i wont be influenced.
To the song - i like it, Ville did a good job. No he did a great job - he has so strong and great voice there, even in lows. At 4:01 i like that "....the best i can doooooooooooo" from that moment its awesome until the end.

And i cant agree more with @Daedalus - Ville needs to work on the new album more. One more month and it will be 3 years since Tears On Tape ..... Can you believe that it has been so long?

Offline Until_Love_Do_Us_Part

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 08:11:30 AM »
I agre. I thought it was extremely misrepresented. I could barely hear Ville except for "good days.... bad days...."

I thingk Ville just needed a paycheck. And as for Mark, I think he's riding the coattails of Ville. He was barely in the song at all, but of course its the singpe for the album.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 08:16:18 AM by Until_Love_Do_Us_Part »
"See the forest for the trees"

Offline kellylugosisdead

• Picciotto
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:13:25 AM »
Zhivago, thanks so much for the link!

I really think he did a good job on the cover, but I wish they'd have left the "aha" in the chorus from the original instead of replacing it with that guitar bit after he sings "knowing me, knowing you". I feel like his voice sounded pretty heavily processed, though, and at times sounded more like he was just singing along instead of trying to inflect emotion into what he was singing. Either way, it's nice to hear something kind of new. :)
"I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no melancholy." - Charles Baudelaire

letsmakehope.com

Offline kellylugosisdead

• Picciotto
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
Well, at first when that idea was represented i was  a little afraid .... "Ville sings ABBA song :D " but then i realized that HIM did all kind of weird covers like Backstreet Boys so i decided NOT to check the original ABBA song as i dont know it so i wont be influenced.

I've heard Ville's actually a huge pop fan, so it's not that surprising! :D HIMBrasil did a video of HIM covers that included some pop: https://youtu.be/Qwx2xNGgJ9g

letsmakehope.com

Offline Steel

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
Neat. I can't wait to get this. Haven't been on here in awhile hope everyone is well.

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »
I hope it's not a digital only song.

Offline kellylugosisdead

• Picciotto
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
From MGT's Twitter:
"Ville Valo on video shoot for 'Knowing Me Knowing You' with MGT 21March. #villevalo @TheHeartagram @MarkGThwaite https://t.co/HKqQtXLoEH"

Our boy's in fine form, ladies and gents. ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:04:27 PM by kellylugosisdead »

letsmakehope.com

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
without the tattoo he looks almost like a slightly aged version of himself from 2005 :)

Offline Fink_7

• Cafone
  • The son of rage and love
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 09:05:35 PM »
He needs to shave and then it will be Ville from 2005 :D

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
Ville with hair !  ;D i mean no beanie, finally, he looks great like this

something between 2000 year and  2005 year Ville with a little bit of facial hair , looks good

Offline kellylugosisdead

• Picciotto
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »
Ahhhhh he looks so so so good in that video, Ville Juurikkala did a fantastic job.

letsmakehope.com

Offline Fink_7

• Cafone
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 06:51:10 PM »
Let me ruin everethyng! Just kidding :P
Actually, If it wasn't Ville and his sexy body ;D, the clip would be boring af. And he looks so bored and unenthusiastic, but maybe he's supposed to look like that, idk. So let me just fangirl about how's Ville looking good and stuff. That's the only thing I like about this video.

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 05:27:08 PM »
I must say the song is really growing on me, okay it's not HIM but it'll tide be over for the time being, but please Ville not too long.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:47:27 AM by AcousticFuneral »
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
I hate that I've been singing along to an Abba song. But it's a great track.

Mr Valo is looking amazing for almost 40
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 05:01:33 PM »
And yet again I have too much free time on my hands. (I really don't. It's just that this is more interesting to translate than stuff about Harlem, sorry.)
Apologies for the suckyness of my English.

Sonic Seducer 05/2016

Mark Gemini Thwaite feat. Ville Valo
One man, countless bands

Nearly everyone has heard him play or seen him on stage before. But most people don't know him. Mark Gemini Thwaite is probably the humblest guitarist on earth. He played in Tricky's, Peter Murphy's, and Gary Numan's bands. Even though he has worked on more than 20 albums and was a member of The Mission for many years he always took a back seat. Just now has he finished his first solo album. For the vocals he rounded up the who's who of the scene. A foretaste of the album gives the single "Knowing Me, Knowing You" with Ville Valo. An ABBA cover.

"I actually never wanted to make a solo album," admits Mark Gemini Thwaite. "I don't write lyrics and I don't have a good singing voice. What made me change my mind was working with the musicians collective Primitive Race. We sent each other song ideas and then got different singers for them. So I thought: Why not do that for a solo album?" Gemini already had song ideas for the album in heaps and he also wrote new pieces, sometimes with a singer in mind already. Because of his good contacts to the music scene it was easy for him to find friends and colleages to sing on his album. Among them Wayne Hussey, Julianne Reagan, Miles Hunt, Saffron, Ashton Nyte, Andi Sexgang, and the golden voice of HIM, Ville Valo.

"For 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' I immediately had Ville in mind. I wanted to make a cover of that ABBA song for a long time. As a really dark version in the style of The Mission. But I was never able to actually do it because I didn't work with anyone who I thought wanted to sing it. The moment I decided to make the solo album I knew I wanted to record the song. I asked Ville who was the ideal choice for me", says Thwaite.

Ville Valo, a friend of Thwaite since the nineties, immediately agreed. It's his first guest performance outside of HIM since years. "HIM usually consumes all my time. Because of that it's always hard for me to take part in projects besides HIM," explains Ville, "but Mark is a friend and the stars were right. It was the right song at the right time."

Surprisingly, Ville Valo didn't know the ABBA song about a broken relationship. Ville laughs: "I am a Scandinavian but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm a fan of ABBA. I grew up in a family that didn't own a single ABBA album." Which turned out to actually be an advantage for the singer. He was able to approach the song without any bias or expectations. Ville explains: "I wanted to give the song a gothic vibe. The song itself is really poppy but the lyrics are pretty dark. There's no light at the end of the tunnel which was very surprising to me." Mark Gemini Thwaite adds: "I wanted to keep everything that's good in the original. My only aim was to change the vibe. The 'Ahhs' in the song are now played by guitars and that removes the cheesy pop factor. Now it almost sounds like a HIM song."

Thwaite actually planned that Ville Valo write a melody with lyrics for one of his demos but that didn't work out because of the lack of time. The next HIM album is still a thing of the distant future, as Valo reveals, but he's already busy gathering ideas. A cover version was easier for him to fit into the schedule, as he explains: "Musicians tend to overanalyze their songs. With a cover you don't have to think about the lyrics. That's why they often sound less forced and more relaxed. You can just take what is already there, set your stamp on it, and don't have to think about it too much. It's the same for me when I play cover versions with HIM."

Apart from the ABBA song and a Human League cover all of 'Volumes' is new material. It's fascinating how it all fits together really well even though the many guests from the scene all left their mark on the songs. Musically, all options were on the table from the start, says Thwaite. "The album surely is on the darker side. But I didn't have a definite idea in mind for the sound. The good thing about the album is that it's really organic and that I could write whatever I wanted. I didn't worry about whether the goth kids would like it or not. But both my guitar play and taste of music now and then brush the gothic genre, and you can hear that on the album." 'Volumes' will be published by record label SPV. Old friends of Thwaite that he's known since his years with The Mission. More on Thwaite and "Volumes" in the next issue.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:08:34 PM by Kaysa »
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close

Offline SilverLiningBE

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »
The next HIM album is still a thing of the distant future, as Valo reveals, but he's already busy gathering ideas

So... not this year...

Personnaly, I find your English perfect (but I am not english spoken either)!

Thank you very much for this translation :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:53:47 AM by SilverLiningBE »
"Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi, you just can't do it..." - Ville Valo

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
I'm perfectly fine with the probability of there not being a new album this year. They can take as much time with it as they please. I'm glad Ville doesn't seem pressured to release something as soon as possible once again due to the ever-declining fanbase. Tears On Tape was rushed out the door in order to capitalize on the hype of their comeback after releasing Two Decades Of Love Metal. It featured the “best of the worst” (so to speak) of the unused/unfinished material that Ville had lying around. This band is better than that. Whatever it takes for them to kick ass once again and show everyone that they've still got it, I'm down for.

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen some sort of new compilation album this year...it has been 3 years since ToT and a year and a half since the 4 album remasters in the US...doesn't someone want to take my money for little to no new material???
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 12:46:21 AM »
I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen some sort of new compilation album this year...it has been 3 years since ToT and a year and a half since the 4 album remasters in the US...doesn't someone want to take my money for little to no new material???
yeah DVD Love Metal Archives vol 2 would be great!

Offline SilverLiningBE

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Did someone manage to download the highest quality video from youtube before it was put under copyright?

Since I permanently deleted the video by mistake yesterday, I have been trying for hours to download it again (or to merge the "without sound" youtube mp4 dowloadable file with the iTune m4a file, in vain).

I also tried two software to restore the deleted file without success because I was downloading something else at the same time...

Anyway, I am so pissed off for my mistake!!  Not to be able to download the video again is driving me crazy. Could someone please help me? :(
"Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi, you just can't do it..." - Ville Valo

Offline Fink_7

• Cafone
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »
I don't know but for me everything works great and I don't see any copyright restrictions. But anyway, I have this video in 1080, so If you want I can send it to you.