Author Topic: Article in the latest Sonic Seducer issue [translated]  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
Article in the latest Sonic Seducer issue [translated]
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:17:48 PM »
So there is an article about HIM in this year's October issue. And I needed some distraction. So here you go, read it translated to English.

No breaking news in it, but it's a nice read.
Sorry about the mistakes I might have made. (I'm also sorry that I had to retranslate the answers back to English, but needless to say I don't have the original transcript of what was being said.)

HIM
HIMsalabim - new Album in 2016

One sole concert in August and a lot of secretiveness about what the future will bring - it's been a nerve-wrecking year for HIM fans, the exit of drummer Gas Lipstick alias Mika Kristian Karppinen shows that the Finns are not in the most carefree chapter of their career exactly. After 2013's album "Tears On Tape" and the release of "XX - Two Decades Of Love Metal" one year before, things have calmed down around Love Metal icon Ville Valo and his bandmates. Receiving Gold and Platinum records in early years puts a lot of pressure on one's shoulders. Even if Ville keeps his cards close to his chest in Leipzig, you can feel the Dark Rocker's inner tension. A new drummer, a new album, a new direction?

"How our new drummer Kosmo came to our attention? You really wanna know?" Ville Valo jokes cheerfully during the soundcheck break that serves as our interview time. "It certainly sounds crazy but it fits this day and age: per text message! A friend of ours plays together in a band with Kosmo. Since they're currently on a break, he let us know that there was a drummer who was too good to be wasted. So, that's how we got into contact with Kosmo, and of course we now have to extensively test if he fits in with us. Playing in a band is like a family, the chemistry has to be absolutely right." Kosmo, being in the room himself, flashes Ville a laughing glance and the other bandmembers, who are busy signing booklets and other fan treasures, burst out laughing. It's obvious that Kosmo has already settled in well, the atmosphere is great and he seems shy as he counters grinning, "Well, I do need to know if I can even put up with you guys."

Jukka 'Kosmo' Kröger just had his HIM live baptism of fire in Finland in July - the 1000 fans who managed to get hold of a ticket for the Leipzig Täubchenthal gig took the newbie in happily and with a positive attitude as well. Frontman Ville further reveals about the exit of Karppinen, "It is of course extremely heartbreaking when a bandmember leaves after so many years. But in this case we're even kind of glad because we found Kosmo." But let's be honest: Ultimately, a new album is due. Losing a bandmember in such a situation comes close to a catastrophe! Or doesn't it? Ville Valo secretively and still grinning says, "Whether Kosmo will be on board when we'll record the new album is something I cannot say yet. We are, after all, testing if it is a pleasure having him with us. Over the years, as a band, things like that establish themselves especially while touring and you get to know each other better as well as you get to know yourself better without a doubt, too. So this current situation is very special because with a new member comes new dynamics. This is exciting and you do have to understand that it is far too early to give definitive outlooks and future prospects. I learned about myself that I can be a very correct person and sometimes even a really fussy asshole. It's easy to lose your grip on reality on tour, when time schedules change all the time and everything around you is in constant movement. I do try to stay as relaxed as possible but that doesn't always work out."

Speaking of 'working out' - How is the work on the new album progressing? The charismatic singer looks around the room for a moment. As no one rises to speak he formulates obviously deliberately cautiously, "Of course you have some ideas already, but we won't start working more extensively on those before we're back from tour. We will then begin to work on new material more concentrated and if everything goes well, the new album could be finished in a year from now - maybe at the end of the year, I don't want to make any commitments at this point."

Would a female drummer be imaginable? On this question Migé Amour alias Mikko Heinrik Julius Paananen immediately looks up and smugly comments, "You never know!" While the others chime in with their amused comments, bandleader Valo stays concentrated, but can't keep himself from joking, "That's exactly what I've always waited for!" More sincerely he amplifies, "Hm, I truly never thought about that. For sure, there are enough bands for whom it works well with a female bandmember, but if that was the right thing for us? In fact, I do believe that it's much more difficult to find a good female drummer than a singer, for example. There probably aren't many in Finland that could be considered seriously - for various reasons, certainly."

Well, a female singer probably isn't necessary at all - fans worldwide adore HIM especially because of their charismatic frontman, who established himself as a Rock icon in the musicbiz long ago, after all. Heartache meets Rock'n'Roll - no one does that as good as Finnish rocker Valo. The decision for the multi-instrumentalist to be singer of the band was originally born out of necessity, though, because there was no one else present in the founding days. Ville enjoys looking back and reveals, "I really don't want to judge if being a singer is the right instrument for me, but I haven't given up hope! In those days I was a big fan of Jane's Addiction and Faith No More were just releasing their album "Angel Dust" - I sang along to those bands after school every day. The neighbors must have hated it!"

Valo, born in 1976, grew up in a time when internet access wasn't as present as it is now. How does he handle the infinite possibilities of the World Wide Web and would if have influenced the development of HIM significantly if the technical possibilities had been the same back then as they are now? Valo's expression is serious as he says, "Yes, a lot of things would certainly have happend differently. Maybe we would have spent plenty of our time on social networks instead of practicing our instruments. These days, people are really good at all things Twitter and Co., which is a talent in itself. Actually, I do always feel like an outsider where things like the internet and social networks are concerned. All that is just too hectic for me but luckily some of my bandmates are much better versed in that than me."

When I once again dig deeper re future endeavours, the bandleader answers deliberately generalized, "Oh well, then again some decisions aren't that difficult after all and it doesn't have to be melodramatic all the time. Quitting smoking, that was really dramatic for me. But all other things don't have to be like in 'The English Patient'. I want to do things right and that sometimes needs some patience."

pls don't kill me, Sonic Seducer peeps. kthxbye
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:21:39 PM by Kaysa »
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close

Offline Vesku_FIN

Re: Article in the latest Sonic Seducer issue [translated]
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
Thanks!

Offline kellylugosisdead

• Picciotto
  • (undead, undead, undead)
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
Thank you, Kaysa! That was a good read, you did a great job translating! :)
"I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no melancholy." - Charles Baudelaire

letsmakehope.com

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
Thank you, Kaysa! That was a good read, you did a great job translating! :)

Aww, thank you!
I was thinking about maybe translating parts of the upcoming HIM chronicle (it should arrive within the next few days) and you just gave my motivation a push :D

Offline Lila

• Cafone
  • it always ends up in tears
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »
I figured this was the new interview Sonic Seducer promised to include in the Chronik book, so I decided to wait for that and not buy the issue but I'd have totally read it at the newsstand if the magazine hadn't been sealed (yeah I am that cheap lol). So thank you for posting this! :)

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
but I'd have totally read it at the newsstand if the magazine hadn't been sealed (yeah I am that cheap lol). So thank you for posting this! :)

You're welcome!

I totally do that, too. Actually, this time I aquired scans of the article and then translated, I didn't even buy the mag myself >.>
There's also a concert review, btw, but I figured it wasn't as interesting to people here, so I didn't bother with it.

Offline Lila

• Cafone
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 04:14:43 PM »
Ahh I was at that gig so I don't really need the review. But I prefer to read interviews originally done in English in the original version and not in German, so thanks for also translating it back! ;)

LOL I just noticed we have the same avatar, that's weird... my 1st thought was "dang did I double post?!"

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Yeah, I like original material, so I would have preferred an English article myself. But German mag, German article  ¯\_(?)_/¯

It doesn't stop there, you know? xD
I was at the gig, too, and I used to have 'Lilya' as a username a lot, so that is quite similar as well :D
(I take it you figured that I'm also a fellow German ; ) )

Offline Lila

• Cafone
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 06:18:43 PM »
Yeah your flawless translation kinda gave you away. ;-) Ahh you were in Leipzig too? Next time we need to plan better & meet up!  ;D

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
Haha, thanks :D
We should! I'm not from around there but I just had to go :)
Let's see when we get the next opportunity...