Author Topic: HIM on TVtropes.org  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
HIM on TVtropes.org
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »
Nothing new or particularly interesting, I just like the site a lot. I always have to force myself to stop browsing it.

Their HIM page is quite old though, the last edits were made a year ago. Plus, some of the listed tropes aren't quite right imo.

Like 'I'll violate you in the most sensual way' isn't Getting Crap Past the Radar. It's neither 'shocking not only to the Media Watchdogs and Moral Guardians, but to everyone else' nor 'out of keeping with its context', or is that just me?
And while Ville stated that Katherine Wheel is 'on a poetic level S&M' I wouldn't call it an Obligatory Bondage Song. Since torture doesn't qualify, it's not 'a song that (almost entirely) deals with fetishistic and/or sadomasochistic sex'. Okay, maybe figuratively if you want to see it that way. But it's definitely no 'attempt at sounding Darker and Edgier' :D
They mention 'a particularly jazzy cover of 'For You'' (which has to be the Acoustic/ Unplugged Version, since that's the only one, at least that I know of) with the tropes Vocal Range Exceeded and Played for Laughs. While I don't think the first one is even appropriate, HIM surely wouldn't play For You 'with the intention to be comedic'...
Under Trivia Killing Loneliness is listed as a Black Sheep Hit. Maybe I'm just not able to judge objectively, but I feel this isn't quite right.
And last but not least, YMMV asks 'How many casual listeners even know HIM is a band and not just Ville Valo?' Maybe we're all biased on that one.

Oh, I found a bonus one: 'Lead singer Ville Valo is often photographed indulging in public displays of affection with various men' Maybe I haven't been around for long enough. I know two such pictures.
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close

DSC5LU

Re: HIM on TVtropes.org
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »
I know of three such pictures. Zoltan, Jussi69, and Bert from The Used.

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
I guess that depends on what you consider. Like "how serious?"
Like if you were to consider stuff like this there is plenty. lol

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:23 PM »
Yeah, sure. I obviously didn't count those, since there are so many :D
But even if we counted them, that would be really outdated information.
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close