Author Topic: Ville Valo - Loud Legacy Documentary (02/25/2015)  (Read 20814 times)

Offline Jay

Re: Ville Valo - Loud Legacy Documentary (02/25/2015)
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
I'm going to check out the documentary/interview today.

You can't credit Bam for the music, obviously.  I don't think Ville would allow anyone but himself or the 4 guys around him to influence that. 

And @616 you're right, cKy were heavily promoted by Bam and didn't reach the level HIM did.  The difference is the music.  I like cKy here and there, but I never was a huge fan of theirs.  There had to be more to the band than just Bam.  While I remember the name Vains of Jenna, I couldn't tell you shit about them.

HIM was successful in Europe, no doubt.  It's hard to say what would have happened stateside without Bam and whatnot.  I'm glad the connection was made, at least initially, as it made merch more accessible here. HIM haven't stuck around as long as they have because of some kid in Philly.  Over the years, the association has faded.  The bandwagon (BAMwagon?) fans have left.  I stuck around because of the music, which is why everyone on this forum is here.

No matter how we got here, we're all fans of HIM.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:37:08 AM by Jay »

Offline Inferno

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
The thing is that we have no idea how things would have turned out here in the states. While BAM may have not have directly influenced their popularity here, he certainly did jump-start their presence here by promoting them in many ways. It's hard to think how things would be now without BAM because their presence/popularity would have grown much slower which that alone could have opened/closed many doors for the band. Things like record labels would probably had been different and maybe even every album from Love Metal on would have been different in some way as a result. There's no way to prove that BAM's influence ultimately put the band in a better or worse position, but the band is still here for the time being and that's all I really care about.

You can add my name to the list of people who learned of the band through BAM. I was immediately hooked when I saw the music video for RHIMA on CKY so I don't know if I would have discovered the band without BAM.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:18:00 PM by Inferno »
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
Ok I wont lie I heard of HIM from cky, actually went and bought a cky album and was like wtf this isnt HIM.  Regardless people can get into a band for whatever reason but it doesnt matter really how.  It has always been the music and Ville said in this "He takes too much credit".  I liked bam the least in cky and jackass.

I just watched it, worth watching.  One thing thats cool is how Ville played an organ/keyboard on some Dsabh songs.  It is crazy how talented he is, the man can play any instrument.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:04:28 PM by Ziggy18 »
Run Away From The Sun

Offline Thanatos

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »
sorry guys i was unaware of this cause honestly i didnt watch him news for a looooooooooong time..

so ville and bam are foes now?

Offline Jay

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
sorry guys i was unaware of this cause honestly i didnt watch him news for a looooooooooong time..

so ville and bam are foes now?

I think it's more of Bam being hurt by him and Ville not being as close as they were.  Bam put out a video on youtube claiming that Disarm Me was written about him.  Bam blames himself for Ville's relapse (the "asthma" attack that caused the US shows to be cancelled).

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 01:33:54 AM »
Sorry to turn this into a Bam thread, but Bam's just been pissed people off left and right. From an outside perspective, I don't think he knew how to cope with losing Ryan (can't blame him there). But then he started that Fuckface nonsense with Chad and Matty from CKY, and Chad bailed saying "I can't stand around and watch my friends destroy themselves". So  Bam's drinking got pretty far out of hand as evident because him and Missy divorces a year after Dunn. So it was a domino effect of bad things happening to a guy who once thought he was invisible

Ok I wont lie I heard of HIM from cky, actually went and bought a cky album and was like wtf this isnt HIM. 

I had the same thing, not with CKY, but with 69 eyes vs HIM. Back in the old days when people labeled things however they wanted to to get attention [Right Here in My Arms HIM 69 eyes jackass cky] and because the real information was still hard to find you didn't know any better.
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »
So it was a domino effect of bad things happening to a guy who once thought he was invisible

Haha I love this typo. Really makes Bam sound even more Looney Toons.

I learned about Bam and HIM separately. Viva la Bam and Jackass I learned about through my brothers and HIM I saw on one of those channels on tv that plays music videos.
I go into Hot Topic now and ask about HIM or heartagram stuff and they have no clue what I am talking about. I go into the indie store (which I note is selling Opeth stickers, thought that was kind of odd for that store but rather awesome in its own right) ask about HIM stuff and they say "Nope those guys haven't done anything in ages." Even though it was right after the TOT release.
Given that I didn't initially know they were related in any way I was excited that I could watch some of Bam's stuff and HIM was in it. I figured that out while waiting for TOT to come out and was chomping at the bit because I ran out of interviews so I watched that stuff, CKY (Bam's not the band), Haggard, Dunn going off the waterfall in Iceland. That was kind of another thing there too, I had wanted to look a bit more into Dunn's stuff because I was bummed when I heard he was gone. And then I watched Bam and Steve-O's Howard Stern Interviews and found out about Steve-O hosting Killer Karaoke. I don't know about you but I would sit on a swing and sing Wings of a Butterfly in a water tank full of snakes for some money.

As for CKY the band I like their stuff a lot too. Watching Bam's stuff didn't really give me any desire to listen to them though. I actually got into them because my HIM Pandora station played Escape From Hellview. I had fallen asleep and it woke me up. I thought it was good and got up to push the like button and saw it was CKY. Started listening to them after that. Been trying to write a story of some kind based on Carver City.