Author Topic: Ville Valo - Loud Legacy Documentary (02/25/2015)  (Read 20817 times)

Offline Jay

Ville Valo - Loud Legacy Documentary (02/25/2015)
« on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »

From Loudwire.com

The first episode of Loud Legacy is about to impact your computer screens! We recently sat down with HIM frontman Ville Valo for a marathon interview covering the Gothic crooner's entire life and career.

Loud Legacy is an exclusive 45-minute documentary that spans the life of Ville Valo, focusing heavily on HIM's discography. Valo will give you a personal look into his teenage years as he formed the first incarnation of HIM, originally playing a six-string bass. From his orange dreadlocks and job working at his father's sex shop, the HIM frontman begins with the six years that passed before HIM released their debut full-length, Greatest Love Songs: Vol. 666.

The journey gets more and more in-depth as we go through HIM's rise to fame with Razorblade Romance all the way to the band's most recent album, Tears on Tape.

Superfans, head over to your calendars and draw a Heartagram under Feb. 25, because that's when we'll be posting the full Loud Legacy documentary. Stay tuned and get ready for the most in-depth Ville Valo interview you'll find on the web!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:16:35 AM by Jay »

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
Re: Ville Valo - Loud Legacy Documentary (02/25/2015)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
Beat me to it by 6 minutes Jay, sounds like this will be quite interesting will some stuff we haven't heard about before.
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline Jay

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
Beat me to it by 6 minutes Jay, sounds like this will be quite interesting will some stuff we haven't heard about before.

Ya snooze, ya lose! That's today's tough guy talk. 

I agree.  I love that he laughs at the assumption that he wrote a song about Bam.  Like you said, I hope it gets deeper into some topics that we're curious about or know nothing about.

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 12:00:32 PM »
Yeah that was funny and from that reaction i think we can rule it out, This guy was the interviewer who got him taking about SWD and WAONF in that wikipedia fact or fiction thing so hopefully he'll ask some more questions about the early years not just the standard stuff.
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
I also wonder when this took place.  It'd be interesting to hear more on the future, if this was filmed after Gas' departure.  I tweeted to the guy to see what he says.  I'm guessing it was before, as the guy is Brooklyn based.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:57:56 PM by Jay »

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
I laughed when i watched the trailer at 1:02 :P
Interview Guy:"I heard recently that Bam Margera believes that that song is about him"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:20:50 PM by DarkSecret666 »

Offline Jay

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 06:36:30 PM »
He responded.

@gruhamed: "@TheSacrament: Was the Valo Loud Legacy documentary filmed before or after Gas' departure?" -- Before Gas' departure

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:52:02 PM »
Yeah. Loudwire has actually been teasing about this for a while now so I have just been waiting. Excited for this. I just love Ville's interviews. They always make me smile and I don't do that very often.  :D

Offline Eric616

• Picciotto
  • There is no end to the hurting - I love you...
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
I didn't know Bam thought Disarm Me was about him. Lmfao

I find it weird that Ville wouldn't admit he was an addict... And we all know he's drinking again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:53:31 PM by Eric616 »
We are the ones with moonlit hearts - run to me
And we belong to another world
Run to me

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:39 AM »
at least something, but since when is an interview titled as a documentary? :)
cant wait to see it
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:21:14 AM by 616 »

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:22 AM »
Just give me the name of a song or two from Witches And Other Night Fears and I'll be happy. If that's not possible, the name of any old songs that were recorded and the titles are new to us would be fantastic. I know it's a longshot, as the early years part of the interview will probably be short and consist mainly of things that were written about in Synnin Viemaa, but it is what it is, I guess.

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »
He didn't deny it, actually. He laughed it off but didn't say it wasn't true. Not that I could read his behaviour or whatever, but laughing about something can also mean not wanting to talk about, admit or accept it.

Anyway, I imagine writing a song isn't that simple. Different people and experiences contribute to it.
In the end it's not even important. But still very interesting to know all the background information.
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:44:35 AM »
In case anyone hasn't read about the Bam/Disarm Me thing before: http://bamargeradaily.tumblr.com/post/99493658453/october-8-2014-an-open-letter-to-ville

It's an interesting read. I think the idea that Disarm Me was written about him is silly, but the rest I honestly don't doubt. He makes Ville seem like a huge dickhole that took advantage of a guy that idolized him for his own personal/professional gains. This is just Bam's side of the story, of course, but for some reason I don't doubt it a bit. I think the part about him never receiving a thank you for the band's US fanbase is spot on. Bam did more for those guys than anyone ever has or ever could. He didn't give the band their talent, but he exposed their talent to more people, including the right people, than they ever would've been able to do on their own. I think he's fully responsible for getting the guys to that next level. He was their big break that way too many talented bands never get. They owe him more than they ever would be able to repay him.

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »
I wasn't even interested in any music back then, so I don't know how much truth there is in that.
But these are the actual videos Bam posted, if anyone's interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBJRbR1Wqwg
http://community.livejournal.com/__vam/4571863.html?thread=62224599#t62224599

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »
Ive never seen this before.  Thats rediculous he thinks disarm me is about him.  And i never really knew what kinda drugs Ville was on but i guess uppers (totally explains his toothpick shape).  I still hate Bam but i did feel a little sorry for him the fact he did promote the band in the US. 

I wonder if that story about him taking an Adderal then going to rehab around Venus Doom is true?

Im interested to hear what he says about his drug use.  I drink, smoke, do coke sometimes and am on Adderal currently.  Feel like i could always relate with the lyrics about love and addiction.  He also has said HIM is an element of confusion.  Cant wait for this.
Run Away From The Sun

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »
ok, we could fight over who has a truth, but the fact is that with or without BAM
they (HIM the band) would have had this exact US fanbase as they have now.

thinking that US fanbase is because of BAM is the same as saying that punk rock fanbase is because of Sid Vicious

not all the skate kids are HIM fanbase, not even HIM fans. If someone likes Adio shoes with heartagrams on it , that doesnt automatically makes the kid a HIM fan.....

BAM has a huge ego and forgot that Ville Valo and the band helped him too. Just that Ville gave him a permission to use the heartagram logo is a HUGE HUGE favour and the biggest "THANK YOU BAM" that Ville could gave him, before even HIM guys were famous in the US.

If i was a famous singer in succesful band and had a great logo and gave someone the permission to use that logo, its automatic that the promotion is the reward for the permission right? Or does BAM think that when Ville gave him that permission he automatically became someone on the same level as the author?
BAM come on, stop doing that coke 

am i the only one here who got into Bam Margera because of HIM actually?

and please , how many HIM fans from US do we have here who became HIM fans because of BAM?

Offline Jay

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 09:01:44 PM »
I was a huge Bam fan since the start of Jackass.  I saw the heartagram (not knowing what it was) and thought it was a cool symbol.  Thankfully I did a little research and found that it wasn't Bam's thing and instead it was HIM's.  Over the years, my fandom switched immensely.  Bam's addictions and his friend's addictions became boring.  The only thing I still enjoyed was Jackass and past cKy videos. 

I agree, the dual partnership allowing Bam to use the trademark (which I'm sure they profited from), allow him to direct videos and (I'm imagining) giving him access to unreleased stuff is THANKS enough. 

Bam also believes Avril Lavigne's song "Sk8ter Boi" is also about him...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:03:20 PM by Jay »

Offline dr3amsofglass

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »
I guess we are going to hear a bit more about how Bam continues to lose his mind... I never understood why he was so convinced that Screamworks was all about him. I thought it was pretty clear via Ville and Kat von D that it was directly "inspired" by Kat. Surely, Bam would've gotten that memo?  ::) Oh well. As Ville said, "Good for him, then!"

It really bothers me when I hear one fan give another fan shit because they found out about HIM through Bam. Why does it matter how you found a band? I get so excited to find anyone that listens to a single damn thing I do, and I couldn't care less how or why they do. Hell, I found HIM because I worked at Hot Topic in 2002. Some asshole laughed at me hysterically for that while in line at a show a couple years ago, but you better believe I got every piece of shitty HIM merch that HT put out from 2002 to 2005 HALF OFF. :P ;D And you know that guy is on eBay looking for all of it now. 
HIM gifs blog YouTube channel
My shows: 4/30/04 | 11/2/05 | 11/3/05 | 11/5/05 | 10/21/06 | 8/7/07 | 11/7/07 | 11/17/07 | 4/13/12 | 9/22/13 | 11/25/13 | 3/18/14 | 3/20/14

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
i didnt learn anything new from that so-called "documentary", which is just an interview

am i the only one who totally hates that guy? i dont know why but he totally drives me crazy. cant help it

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
Just watched the interview; well, more like clicked every couple of minutes or so to see if anything interesting was being said. Pretty damn boring all the way through, in my opinion. The only thing that actually stood out to me was at the end when Ville said that Tears On Tape was an album that proved to themselves that they could still play and they still had it. That's an extremely concerning thing to hear.

I really dislike that interviewer guy. He needs to do some better research on the bands and people he interviews, seeing as that is his job. Just because you read something on Wikipedia or somewhere else on the Internet doesn't mean it's true.

Offline Wolfkiller

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:20 PM »

am i the only one here who got into Bam Margera because of HIM actually?

That's how I got into Bam for awhile. One friend who loved CKY burned Right Here In My Arms for another friend who played it for me. While waiting for my cds to arrive from some german website, the first friend insisted we watch Haggard and sweetened the deal by saying the soundtrack was mostly HIM. Loved the movie (still do) but Bam has become kind of a joke these days. I will give him props though he probably did spread the brand here.

666WTLOnVinylFTW

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
ok, we could fight over who has a truth, but the fact is that with or without BAM
they (HIM the band) would have had this exact US fanbase as they have now.

That's not a fact; that's your opinion. We'll never know the actual truth of it because we can't go back in time and change things from happening the way that they did. I can safely say, though, in my own opinion, that you're wrong. :P I think people underestimate (or just don't want to admit) just how popular Bam was back in the day, and just how many kids looked up to him and wanted to be just like him; just like how Bam idolized Ville and wanted to be just like him. Bam was the perfect vehicle to drive the band's promotion here in the US where they were still very obscure. He helped them out immensely. They would've never reached the height of popularity that they did without him, and thus the fanbase today would be even smaller than it is now. Without Bam first falling in love with them and then raising their popularity here first, Bam's buddy Jimmy Pop doesn't get involved, there is no Warner Bros. record deal, which means there's no HIM products at Hot Topic, which means the band stays relatively unknown here in the US. If they ever even made it over to the US at all, it would've been on a shitty indie label to begin with like they're on now, and things would've been much, MUCH different.

BAM has a huge ego and forgot that Ville Valo and the band helped him too. Just that Ville gave him a permission to use the heartagram logo is a HUGE HUGE favour and the biggest "THANK YOU BAM" that Ville could gave him, before even HIM guys were famous in the US.

It wasn't a favor at all; it was a smart business move by Ville. Here's a band that's looking to take things to the next level and reach the US where the real fame and money is at, and there's this guy who's an obsessed superfan who also just so happens to have his own popular DVD series and is part of a hit show on MTV that got turned into a movie, and then eventually got his very own starring shows on the channel. It would've been stupid for Ville NOT to let him use the heartagram under those circumstances. Bam was already a celebrity with an established fanbase. He didn't need the heartagram, the heartagram needed Bam.

and please , how many HIM fans from US do we have here who became HIM fans because of BAM?

I'm one of them, and I'm sure there are many others here. Back in the day we used to call them "Bamtards" and we would all hate on anyone who even mentioned Bam. We wanted to separate the band from him because for some reason it wasn't cool to like both. Those days should be over now. We all have to find out about things from somewhere. One way over the other isn't cooler or doesn't make you a bigger or a more legit fan.

I agree, the dual partnership allowing Bam to use the trademark (which I'm sure they profited from), allow him to direct videos and (I'm imagining) giving him access to unreleased stuff is THANKS enough.

The reason they allowed him to direct music videos is because he was Bam Margera. He loved the music, knew the band personally, understood what they were all about, and he could get things done for cheap and do a decent enough job of it. More than anything else, though, it was about the money. It's much easier to get Bam Margera to direct your video when you know him already and he's obsessed with your band than it is to get some really famous director and have to pay them a shitload of money to make a video for a band they know jackshit about. As far as the unreleased stuff goes, I just see it as a friendship thing. I'd give my friends demos too if I was in a band and they loved my music, especially if they were more famous than I am and going to put those songs on their DVDs and promote me. :)

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »
I just watched the whole thing. Actually really good. Sure some of it was standard fare, but VV seemed very casual about things and not hiding all his answers behind references to other bands.

The bit where VV laughed at Bam RE Disarm me was hilarious!

And yes, I will gladly admit, if it wasn't for the CKY videos, I think it would have taken me much longer (or never) to find HIM,69 eyes, Turbonegro, Rammstein,etc. I've never been ashamed of that. What always separated me from the "Bamtards", I took the music seriously. I went all in. While everyone just had RHIMA and like Du Hast on a mix cd because they got it off Limewire or w.e., I was having my parents importing their cds from EU and UK for me in the early 2000s. Say what you want about Bam as a person, but the dude has an amazing taste in music!
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
well Cory i think you underestimate HIM a little bit here and you are giving BAM more credit than he really deserves.
lets talk about the facts

HIM as the band was already a big deal in the Europe before BAM even found them. We cant ignore this fact. The RR was very popular and the songs from it were huge. Even from DSBH from what i remember. And this is something to say really as i am talking now from what i remember from my country - Slovakia - which is honestly mostly unknown for the rest of the world. Ok NHL fans may know Chara or Hossa, but we are small, tiny country. The music industry and the market is small too, but HIM was popular, i can tell!
They earned the popularity and fame because they did a good music and performed a lot. With that strong fanbase in the Europe it was a matter of time that they will break in the US as well. You can see it on the other European bands that were succesful in the US-  without BAM.

My point is, that the talent sells the records and not that celebrity. I think that giving BAM that much credit for the US fanbase is too much. Do you think that Bam has or had this influence on the people? No. There were other bands in the CKY, Jackass or Viva La Bam and do you wanna tell me that CKY has bigger fanbase than HIM? i mean the band CKY? Then why they never achieved such a success as HIM? And so to speak CKY was more likely promoted by BAM... Viva La Bam, CKY videos, Jackas, TONY HAWKS PRO SKATER,..!!!! Why they never sold as much records as HIM?

So before starting to give BAM the credit for the quality of HIM music, we should take another fact, ok Cory?
Do you know the band Vains of Jenna? Bams also favorite band back in the days - pretty much the one-song band, but nevermind, my point is that BAM also started his own label, signed them and what was the success? No at all. So maybe its not all about BAM only.

HIM didnt need BAM, but it was a great thing that happened to them because the things were faster than without bam, and lets say that BAM earned a lot of HIM fans to them, but saying that without BAM they would be nobody. Its against the reality that they were totally big in the Europe without BAM, without any problem, in more countries, which is always hard to achieve in Europe when they were even starting.

I am not saying that BAM did not do anything, but we dont know what would be it like without BAM. Its impossible to say.

If HIM sucked , they could be promoted by anyone bigger than Bam and their fan base would be slim or none. So its not all about the promoting, but mostly there must be something to promote. in this case, HIM is a talented and blessed band. They proved it in the Europe before in the US. And thats something that we cant just ignore.

i dont know why everyone who got hooked up on HIM because of BAM automatically thinks that EVERYONE who watched BAMs stuff automatically became a HIM fan.
HOW can anyone even think this way? Kids are kids, not the fan base. If there are kids that knows Sigillum Diaboli because of THPS and like the song, does this make them HIM fans? I doubt it.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:48:00 PM by 616 »

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
So I actually had to stop watching this when he started rubbing his thighs at around 28.00 because it was just too much. Goood. I've been single for wayyy to long.