Author Topic: Gas left the band  (Read 20121 times)

Offline Alex

• HIM MANIA
  • Associate
  • In The Arms Of Rain
    • HIM MANIA
Re: Gas left the band
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
Lets say that i believe Ville words!
Its nice that Gas sold the drum kits while he was still part of the band.... Its normal to pretend that everything happens now not 6 month ago.....

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 03:46:43 PM »
i wish he sold the demo CDs as well, to me   ;D

Offline Moonlith

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2015, 03:47:26 PM »
Could the fact that Gas' wife (probably along with the man himself and their daughter) is moving over to the US have something to do with this?

http://lartoffashion.blogspot.fi/2015_01_01_archive.html

I also wanted to announce that I'll be indefinitely relocating
to US. I'm going there in a month from now for the school, but also checking
all of my options as a photographer and blogger.
Let's see what the future holds for me, I'm at the same time excited and
anxious.
I hope that you'll follow along with me on this journey!

I also stumbled upon an article on a Finnish news website from last spring that discussed this same issue. Will post if it isn't old news already here.

About the departure itself, as a HIM fan I naturally had to do a triple take when I saw Gas' message on Facebook. Like many, I was more worried that Burton was going to pack his bags. Gas always seemed to be the most enthusiastic of the guys.

Then again, as it has been pointed out a couple of times already, HIM as a band is already towards the end of its career anyway. They peaked long ago, and I would be truly surprised if they keep recording new music after the next album. Unless the next album and tour become very successful, as I can't imagine they'll feel like touring the same countries and venues, seeing the same fans and playing the same old songs year after year.

This I'm sure is one of the factors Ville meant when he said things need to be thought over: how long is the band going to continue, and thus how long of a commitment will they propose to whoever picks up Gas' drumsticks?

Ville's speech at helldone about "hopefully" seeing us soon was just him pretending not to have some kind of inkling about the band's future plans, we all know he's a romantic and likes to leave things upon in the air, even though professional musicians often have clear schedules that span even years into the future.

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2015, 04:51:58 PM »
Such a disappointment.  This might be good to have a different druming style in the band.  Billy should play the drums and sing.   Im glad they didnt break up HIM for good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:02:17 PM by Ziggy18 »
Run Away From The Sun

Offline dr3amsofglass

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
Well, I am breathing again! I'm surprised we actually heard from Ville so quickly. I don't think I could endure another Screamworks-esque silence from this damn band...

It really sucks to lose Gas, but I'm glad he's leaving on his own terms and is happy.

HIM gifs blog YouTube channel
My shows: 4/30/04 | 11/2/05 | 11/3/05 | 11/5/05 | 10/21/06 | 8/7/07 | 11/7/07 | 11/17/07 | 4/13/12 | 9/22/13 | 11/25/13 | 3/18/14 | 3/20/14

Offline Thanatos

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
I've seen his coming since he was selling his stuff..

I would like to pursue my own musical interests yeah, i always think he get more excited withstuff like grindcore or death metal. anyways he'll be missed :/

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2015, 01:40:35 AM »
i'm going to follow gas lipstick till the end.   I know he loves the pitttsburgh penguins so I hope he moves here.   if not LA, or NY.   I just never want the band to break up.   Valo, Linde and Mige is HIM forever.   Best scandanavian band ever.   

EDIT; I
ive been holding back tears,   thinkin how special RR for the first is and TOT the last is,   getting fucked up cuz of this is sooooo sad and im in love and lonely lol.  things llike thesacrament.net make me not want  to die without my julliet.   any girl in Pittsburgh on here that pms me will be my soulmate.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:47:54 AM by Ziggy18 »
Run Away From The Sun

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:16 AM »
The only way I can really express my thoughts on this is in random list form.

I think Gas made the right decision. Nobody will get any younger and he still has time to do other things. Maybe a new drummer could refresh the band vibe. Actually I kind of hope whoever it is fucks it up a bit. I think the band got a little too comfortable. A bit too settled. In fact they should get a drummer with a super massive ego who clashes with Ville. Okay.... not really. That last part is me being silly but you get the idea. I for sure think that Ville should NOT do the drumming, at all. Just, no.

For some reason Burton leaving never has really crossed my mind. Keyboards aren't all that common in bands nowadays and I think it just grants so much to the sound. I think Burton would be a thousand times harder to replace than finding a new drummer just because it is so rare now. Which I guess is just why I feel he wouldn't go. Sure you can throw any random person on a keyboard but that doesn't make them recording or tour material. Burton is a classically trained pianist. Actually I think it would be so interesting if they gave him a bit more leeway, more potential chances for stuff like The Sacrament.

I am going to hope for now that all the side projects coming back is a good thing and just the band breaking out and letting loose a bit to keep from stagnating. If I had to do the same songs over and over I would want to as well.

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 08:55:37 AM »
Honestly Ville, Mige and Linde are HIM and burton is extrordinary compared to zulton.  I actually like the druming from glsv66 and prior better but as a person Mikka Karpinen is my man.   Atleast he didnt die like the Rev in Avenged sevenfold.
Run Away From The Sun

Offline Jay

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
Here's a proper translation of this article:

http://www.heartagram.it/english/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1680%3Aville-talks-about-the-leaving-of-gas&catid=34&Itemid=135

Thanks to Heidi Malin for the english translation and The Heartagram Path for posting it.

Are you suggesting my translation wasn't proper?  :P

The properly translated article cleared up a lot though.

I'm also glad that he isn't dead.  I'll continue to see his tweets about his lunches and culinary adventures. 

I wonder if that's going to be a new project of his?  More formal, like a food blog or something from an Andrew Zimmern that can play blast beats, lol.

BTW @KissTheVoid I love your avatar :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:53:54 AM by Jay »

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2015, 04:59:56 PM »
Honestly Ville, Mige and Linde are HIM and Burton is extraordinary compared to zulton.  I actually like the drumming from glsv666 and prior better but as a person Mikka Karpinen is my man.   At least he didn't die like the Rev in Avenged Sevenfold.

Aw man, that is so true. Avenged Sevenfold was my favorite band before HIM took that honor. Rev just seemed like the coolest, funniest guy. A7X was playing the concert I went to that HIM was playing and when Matt did Fiction I had tears in my eyes. I also happened to be standing on the hill level with the bright top lights of the  light show.... which were blinding me half the time..... didn't help my eyes any lol

Offline Moonlith

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:17 AM »
Could the fact that Gas' wife (probably along with the man himself and their daughter) is moving over to the US have something to do with this?

http://lartoffashion.blogspot.fi/2015_01_01_archive.html

I also wanted to announce that I'll be indefinitely relocating
to US. I'm going there in a month from now for the school, but also checking
all of my options as a photographer and blogger.
Let's see what the future holds for me, I'm at the same time excited and
anxious.
I hope that you'll follow along with me on this journey!

Sure enough:

Offline Jay

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »
Man In-N-Out Burger really destroyed our band. I heard its good, but is it good enough to relocate your family for?

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
Nah.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline JulienVlad

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:08 PM »
Devasted and sad with this news, but I hope the band continue.

DSC5LU

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2015, 02:28:00 AM »
Man In-N-Out Burger really destroyed our band. I heard its good, but is it good enough to relocate your family for?

I'm gonna get some flack from the Californians on the forum, but when I hit up In-N-Out in San Francisco it seemed like an awfully long line for a cheap burger and some Christian propaganda. Let's say in terms of American fast food it's pretty good.

Offline dr3amsofglass

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »

I just choked and shot soda out of my nose! Well played.
HIM gifs blog YouTube channel
My shows: 4/30/04 | 11/2/05 | 11/3/05 | 11/5/05 | 10/21/06 | 8/7/07 | 11/7/07 | 11/17/07 | 4/13/12 | 9/22/13 | 11/25/13 | 3/18/14 | 3/20/14

Offline playdead616

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
Gas' drumming style was integral to HIM in my personal opinion. He based much of his playing off of what Patka brought to the band, but then grew and evolved with the bands sound. To me it is his feel and rhythm that gives his playing such a unique quality. The fact that he plays lefty on a right kit, gives a person a whole different feel on the kit. I will miss hearing his playing with the band. I hope Ville records from here on and finds a touring member.

If you listen to GLS666 and even RR, the solid beats with little fills or time fluctuations, Ville could very well write and record to HIMs sound formula, considering his playing style even with DL & the Rollers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:05:08 PM by playdead616 »

The endless river, forever and ever...

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2015, 02:16:54 AM »

I have heard of them but I have never seen an In-N-Out Burger in my state. So I know not of that experience.

Offline Inferno

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 01:35:36 AM »

I'm gonna get some flack from the Californians on the forum, but when I hit up In-N-Out in San Francisco it seemed like an awfully long line for a cheap burger and some Christian propaganda. Let's say in terms of American fast food it's pretty good.
A lot of people see the lines and expect that it'll take them forever to get their food. In this case, the size of the line doesn't matter... It only proves how good it is because you still get your food just as fast as anyone else.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »

I wonder what Gas will do next?  I really like his faster drum cababilities like this... Almost forgot about this.  Would be nice to hear him in a heavy band that isnt finnish death metal with short songs.

Run Away From The Sun

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
They seem happier without Gas.

Offline Peter Forge

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
They seem happier without Gas.

me too

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
just my 1 cent to this topic

I have hundreds of bootlegs , videos and audios - i have seen and heard everything i have, with Patka, Gas and now with Kosmo. Altough i only saw them 4 times  - 2 times with Gas (2005 and 2013) and two times with Kosmo (Fezen and Bratislava last week) i never enjoyed any show, like i enjoyed the Fezen and Bratislava show. I mean 2005 Bratislava gig was my first, i have lost my HIM concert virginity, it was awesome but Bratislava 2015 with Kosmo, oh boy .....

I loved Gas and i still love him, he was a minion and absolutely splendid musician , talented and amazing drummer. I always prefered Patka, simply because he fit into HIM more than Gas. With Kosmo , oh boy , this guy is something that HIM needed, seriously he gave the band absolutely new vibe and they sound as great as they sounded in 1998......  + Kosmo reminds me Patka a little, i think they are a little similar in playing the drums.  I mean Patka is a true hero of mine, he was absolutely brilliant he sounded like a drum machine, no mistakes, everything top. Gas was in HIM for almost 16 years, he was as good as Patka, more natural and he became one of the greatest finnish drummers.

This line-up is very good. Burton is a genius, probably the most talented musician in the band for me. Linde one of the greatest finnish guitar players, nearly as good as Andy McCoy , elite world class guitarist. Mige - actually he is my favorite, i cant imagine HIM without Mige, i said before that if i had to chose just one HIM member that i wanna meet once in my life i would chose Mige without any thinking , he is the greatest. Ville - the brain of HIM, his talent is remarkable but seriously he was never a great singer, he is not a  good drummer either and the other instruments ok he can play them but its not like Burton can play keyboards, what i admire on Ville is that he is a goddamn amazing songwriter and he has his own style in everything, but he srewed up with Matt Squire... , Screamworks would have been amazing with Hiili , now its their worst album but the album with the biggest lyrical potential

Offline Eric616

• Picciotto
  • There is no end to the hurting - I love you...
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
just my 1 cent to this topic

I have hundreds of bootlegs , videos and audios - i have seen and heard everything i have, with Patka, Gas and now with Kosmo. Altough i only saw them 4 times  - 2 times with Gas (2005 and 2013) and two times with Kosmo (Fezen and Bratislava last week) i never enjoyed any show, like i enjoyed the Fezen and Bratislava show. I mean 2005 Bratislava gig was my first, i have lost my HIM concert virginity, it was awesome but Bratislava 2015 with Kosmo, oh boy .....

I loved Gas and i still love him, he was a minion and absolutely splendid musician , talented and amazing drummer. I always prefered Patka, simply because he fit into HIM more than Gas. With Kosmo , oh boy , this guy is something that HIM needed, seriously he gave the band absolutely new vibe and they sound as great as they sounded in 1998......  + Kosmo reminds me Patka a little, i think they are a little similar in playing the drums.  I mean Patka is a true hero of mine, he was absolutely brilliant he sounded like a drum machine, no mistakes, everything top. Gas was in HIM for almost 16 years, he was as good as Patka, more natural and he became one of the greatest finnish drummers.

This line-up is very good. Burton is a genius, probably the most talented musician in the band for me. Linde one of the greatest finnish guitar players, nearly as good as Andy McCoy , elite world class guitarist. Mige - actually he is my favorite, i cant imagine HIM without Mige, i said before that if i had to chose just one HIM member that i wanna meet once in my life i would chose Mige without any thinking , he is the greatest. Ville - the brain of HIM, his talent is remarkable but seriously he was never a great singer, he is not a  good drummer either and the other instruments ok he can play them but its not like Burton can play keyboards, what i admire on Ville is that he is a goddamn amazing songwriter and he has his own style in everything, but he srewed up with Matt Squire... , Screamworks would have been amazing with Hiili , now its their worst album but the album with the biggest lyrical potential
Wait, Ville isn't an amazing singer?  :o You should see what the people on singing forums say about him. He's one of the greatest rock vocalist in the past 20 years. His range is amazing. And it's not just range. The emotion he sings with adds a lot too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 09:41:54 PM by Eric616 »
We are the ones with moonlit hearts - run to me
And we belong to another world
Run to me