Author Topic: Gas left the band  (Read 20108 times)

Offline Amethyst

Gas left the band
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
This was posted on Gas' Facebook page about 10 minutes ago. I'm in shock.

FINAL WORDS

With a heavy heart I'm announcing my departure from HIM, a magnificent band that I've been part of for the past 16 magical years. It has been a journey that I will remember for the rest of my life. There is no drama, bad blood or any negativity involved in my departure.

I simply feel that it's time for me to move on as a musician.

I have noticed during the final stages of our last tour that my heart was not in it 100% anymore.

I've always been a guy who played every note straight from my heart and I feel the music very strongly while I perform.
If my heart feels that it's time to let it go, then I have to listen because otherwise it wouldn't be right towards myself, the rest of the band or you wonderful fans.
It would end up being a forced effort and I can't perform or create like that.

Another thing that I've recently started to miss is songwriting. I've always been a songwriter. I didn't feel the need to write after I joined the band in 1999 and noticed that Ville is a tremendous songwriter. In my mind he has never brought a single half assed song to the practice room. Every song was top notch and I felt that I didn't have the need to stir the mix. All of his songs were amazing as he presented them. But last fall I've started to feel that I'm missing writing again and that I would like to pursue my own musical interests. I started to miss the feeling of being in a band, where I could be one of the songwriters again.

Three years ago, I had a very heavy year with my arm problems and it took a toll on me.
It took me 9 stressful months to get back into playing shape, but after recording the "Tears On Tape" record and performing 100 + live shows following the release of that record, I can safely say that I'm back 100% physically and mentally. Those 9 stressful months were one of the toughest periods I have ever experienced throughout my career and adding everything mentioned above, I feel that I need a change in life. I need a fresh start.

I have nothing but great words to say about my brothers: Ville, Mige, Burton, and Linde, our touring crew Viltsu, Antti, Manne, Sean, Brad and our management Seppo, Taina and Vuokko. I wish them nothing but a great success in the future! They are all amazing people and it has been a pleasure working with them all of these years.
I'd like to as well thank all the record company people, promoters, past crew members, producers and engineers that I've had the privilege to get to know and work with. You rock BIG TIME!

And for the last but not the least important I'd like to thank all of you fabulous fans. Thank you for your never ending support and love. HIM has the best fans in the world!
Without you, nothing would've been possible.

I hope that our paths will cross again eventually and you can count on that I'm going to keep you posted about my future endeavours in the crazy world of Musicland. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Gas Lipstick.

https://www.facebook.com/490990310995711/photos/a.492695467491862.1073741828.490990310995711/768984823196257/?type=1&fref=nf
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:20:25 PM by Jay »

Offline Jay

Re: Gas left the band
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »
Oh wow....

I don't know what to say.  Gas was such a good dude. 

I'd say that maybe this would take the band in a different direction, but with Ville retaining full control of song writing, it's doubtful.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:14:23 PM by Jay »

Offline Len777

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »
Man this sucks. :'(

Offline Amethyst

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »
I've spent the past 10 minutes trying to find evidence that this is a bad joke... Maybe I'm following a fake page or... I don't know what. I guess it's not.

I had thought that Gas might leave the band due to medical issues, but according to him he's perfectly healthy and it's something he does for himself.

Man... I can't believe this.

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 01:17:53 PM »
He tweeted about it as well.  HIM will sound the same, but certainly won't look the same.

Offline Peter Forge

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »
I dont know how in Finland but in my country is January not April!
That's is evidence how serious is middlelife crisis!

Offline Jay

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »

You know, at first I also thought it was some kind of joke.  An early April Fool's...but I believe we're wrong. 

Offline Amethyst

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

Meh, I'm just in denial. I'll take my bitterness out on the new drummer eventually.

Offline Jay

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »
Maybe it is a joke.  He didn't thank Bam in his final post.

Offline MiLToS_666

• The HIM Bootleg Master from Greece!
  • Made Man
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:26:46 PM »
Oh wow... that was unexpected!
"It is not the spoon that bends... It is only yourself..."

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
absolutely devastated by this. It happens to bands all the time, but it's not supposed to happen to "my" band. This is what we get from making fun of his drumming and stuff
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
i still dont believe that, even though it was announced on The Heartagram facegook page as well
this statement is weird : "Shell-shocked yet determined, HIM are currently investigating different ways to imitate the sound of drums with machines."

is it a joke right? i mean the Gas leaving and HIM imitating drum sounds with the drum machine.....

if that is deadly serious departure of Gas from HIM, then i think its right on place to make a SERIOUS "thank you" video, because Gas definitely deserves that !!!  He needs to know that we all support him and we all wont be touched with his departure

the second thing is that i am not that shocked, i mean it was like few months already that i had a weird feeling that Burton will leave, i didnt think that Gas will be the one, i was always thinking that Burton will quit , because he always seemed so unhappy on stage and seriously i was worried that when someone will left the band , the bad things will just follow
The second wave of worries came right when Ville announced his Rambo Rimbaud solo project and another bad feelings occured when this Rambo Rimbaud album was announced to be released, i was telling myself that its looking weird because Ville has been a songwriter since he was a kid and never really released a solo project
Now Gas has left the building, i mean there was never such a worry in my heart that the HIM will just quit as a band

and if the things will be OK and they will continue without Gas, i think we will wait for a new album much longer than it was planned so
i feel pretty much shattered , altough i still dont believe that

it must be some bad joke, or someone just hacked his accounts or i dont know, i wish this was not a reality

that SUCKS

Gas i wish you all the best and i hope you are just kidding

Offline Jay

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
I agree with you @616 as I thought Burton would be leaving soon for some reason. 

Do you think it'll ever get to a point to where there's only 1 or 2 original members left?  Or would they stop before that point.  I mean they've been friends since they were kids.  Of course if Ville leaves, then it's all over. 

But would you accept the band without Linde and Burton? Or without Mige and Burton?

As for the drum machine shit, there's no way they they think they can replace the man with a machine.  And they need to give him a proper send off.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 01:47:49 PM by Jay »

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
Well I'm shocked but perhaps I felt the Rambo Rimbaud announcement was bad news I can't see why Ville would need a side project when lets face it he has complete control overs HIM's musical direction. I think this might be the end of HIM. It seemed stange during Helldone when Ville gave a speech at the end about how they hoped to be back soon but really didn't know.
I don't think it'll ever get to the point where there's only Ville and Mige left or whoever, I think this might be the end now with Lioneye reformed and RR. I just think a new member would be strange after all these years it was fine in the early years when they'd only been a band for 5 minutes but is been the same lineup now for almost 15 years.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:11:45 PM by AcousticFuneral »
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
from what Ville said about how bad it looked with the band when Gas was injured and it was not sure if he will be able to beat the hell out of the drums ever again,
-Ville said that they had this serious discussion about what to do
and that was so serious , fortunately things went well and it was OK

it looks weird, i mean the excuse that Gas want to write songs again, that just doesnt fit it for me
its not the reason to quit the band after 16 years , Linde wanted to write his songs so there is Daniel Lioneye, Mige had his album, Ville is making Rambo Rimbaud stuff
and Gas has been always in few metal bands and stuff

the more i think about it, the bigger my fear is

with Rambo Rimbaud album coming , possible new Daniel Lioneye album coming , do you think that they will continue as HIM ?

its always difficult to be in the band, but i survived the departure of John Frusciante from RHCP i will survive this as well
the fact is that RHCP is not the same anymore without John
in this case, i think that HIM will sound the same (if they will continue) , but they will just look different as Jay said

or maybe Ville will be on drums and they will have some concert drummer?

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 02:10:19 PM »
Gas is an awesome drummer, but suddenly he just leaves... He will be the #1 HIM drummer in the world. What does this mean for HIM in 2015 ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:24:35 PM by DarkSecret666 »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
It seemed stange during Helldone when Ville gave a speech at the end about how they hoped to be back soon but really didn't know.

EXACTLY!!!! i completely forgot to mention it in my post above, that was so weird
the entire Helldone was some kind of weird - Daniel Lioneye with Mige and Ville
Rambo Rimbaud - Ville solo
at one point it almost looked like it was some farewell shit for the fans
who know what is going on, seriously

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
I'd be shocked if they pulled some Sister's of Mercy shite and do a drum machine.

I'll totally okay with Lioneye, RR, just as long as it gives them a creative outlet to them re explore HIM again in the future.

it looks weird, i mean the excuse that Gas want to write songs again, that just doesnt fit it for me

there's probably alot we don't know about that made him leave. I don't think it's a fair accusation to say he left for the wrong reason
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Alex

• HIM MANIA
  • Associate
  • In The Arms Of Rain
    • HIM MANIA
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 02:16:48 PM »
i dont think this is news for the band... they know about this at least from one year!

first they said the next HIM album will come in the end of 2016!
Gas sold his drum kits
They release all old albums in USA.
And in the end Ville started a sideproject

Hard to believe but is true.... well its not same as 2001 when Zoltan left but somehow i think some refresh in band will be interesting. Or more like restart?

Shell-shocked yet determined, HIM are currently investigating different ways to imitate the sound of drums with machines.

I think they just want to show that Gas is just irreplaceable... well or i just cant imagine a drum machine on the stage lol!

Offline Jay

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 02:41:12 PM »
I'd hope that if Gas told them "Hey, this is my last tour" they would have given him a proper send off.  I believe him when he says there is no animosity with his leaving, but maybe there's more info to come.

I don't think the side projects will be the end of the band.  After all, how long has that rumored Ville acoustic album been in the works? I guess you could count the 2nd disc of Screamworks.  But if I remember correctly, Under the Rose was supposed to be on that acousitc disc.

I don't think Gas leaving will be the end of it either.  Maybe we'll get some demos leaked with the THTBA sound while they work on the new album.  I can't see them realistically touring with a machine.  Sabbath would never do that.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
Ville is a drummer , i dont think they will use a drum machine anymore
but if they will continue they need a new drummer because Ville cant sing and drum so i think we have two options to come
1. the end of the HIM
2. a new drummer (or maybe old one? it would be mega cool to see Patka back in the band)

Offline Jay

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »
Yeah, I could totally see Ville just writing and recording the drums and them just getting a touring drummer.  An old face would be awesome though!

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 02:49:38 PM »
I agree with 616...there's a good chance that A. The next album is recorded with Ville on drums, and then they will find a drummer after the album is completed, but before they go to tour. B. They are done. Ville hinted that this might have happened had Gas not been able to come back for Tears on Tape. I REALLY hope this isn't the case. All I know is, I'm going to be listening to a lot of HIM tonight.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline Amethyst

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 02:51:16 PM »
Well I'm shocked but perhaps I felt the Rambo Rimbaud announcement was bad news I can't see why Ville would need a side project when lets face it he has complete control overs HIM's musical direction. I think this might be the end of HIM. It seemed stange during Helldone when Ville gave a speech at the end about how they hoped to be back soon but really didn't know.
I don't think it'll ever get to the point where there's only Ville and Mige left or whoever, I think this might be the end now with Lioneye reformed and RR. I just think a new member would be strange after all these years it was fine in the early years when they'd only been a band for 5 minutes but is been the same lineup now for almost 15 years.

You're right, if you piece all those together HIM doesn't seem to have a very long future ahead... Guess we can only count on the fact that they've been together for such a long time, and they're practically a family (especially Ville, Mige and Linde). Not being together as HIM anymore should feel like something's missing.

On the other hand, seeing that 3/5 members feel the need for new paths in their careers, all at the same time, perhaps they think that they've reached a point where they can't go any further creatively. Which would be a shame, but if it is so (and I hate saying this), it might be better to end it now than to push themselves into making 2-3 more mediocre albums and splitting up because that will be the only option.

Hah, just yesterday I was reading posts on what we'd want the next album to be like and here we are today discussing whether they'll carry on at all. Anyway, I want to avoid going all "omg himissplittingup himissplittingup omg". We'll see...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:53:22 PM by Amethyst »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
i still cant accept that
 i wish this was a marketing turn because reissues are not selling well
Gas please dont leave