Author Topic: Razorblade Romance interpretations  (Read 673 times)

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
Razorblade Romance interpretations
« on: August 06, 2018, 06:39:44 PM »
I've wanted to write this for years (literally) but didn't have the time or motivation but now it's time xD

So I checked out the German Wikipedia entry for the Razorblade Romance album and there are some interesting interpretations I wanted to share with you.

The first bit is about Join Me being a song about Romeo and Juliet, as Ville said himself.
They mention the implied suicide and the youth of the protagonists alluding to Romeo and Juliet. They also write about Poison Girl potentially referring to Juliet taking the poison ("The fire in her eyes grew dim and then died as the poison inside reached her heart") and Resurrection to the scene where the allegedly dead Juliet awakes while Romeo kills himself ("[…] one by one your pale fingers started to move […] you kissed my lips with those once cold fingertips […] You touched my face and all life was erased" ).

Then they go more into depth about how some of the lyrics seem to be more macabre and how Gone With the Sin is about murder, quoting the chorus and second verse.

And then comes the most interesting part where they try to put all the pieces together. (TW for mentions of rape and murder)

First, they propose that instead of or in addition to Romeo and Juliet, the album could also be about some crazy stalker who rapes and murders his victim.
They argue that Razorblade Kiss contains references to sex ("Only inside you I'm free. I'm tired of waiting. You've got to let me dream – Inside you, Baby") that could be interpreted as rape in the context of many other parts of the album and that the narrator is insane and has lost his reality, thinking that his victim is in love with him (Right Here In My Arms).
So their interpretation is: Stalker ("The colder your touch, the more it turns me on" from I Love You), then rapist ("So hard she's trying, but her heart won't turn to stone...oh no. And she keeps on crying, but I won't leave her alone" from Right Here In My Arms), then murderer ("I did it all just for her [...] and love wants us dead, just me and my poison girl" from Poison Girl, Gone With the Sin).

Their second interpretation is each song individually without taking the other ones into consideration. In that case Razorblade Kiss is about a frustrated boy who crushes on a girl that plays hard to get, and I Love You is about a couple where the woman has fallen out of love, but comes back in Right Here In My Arms even though she tried not to ("So hard she's trying, but her heart won't turn to stone").

So what do you think? Do you agree with one or both of the interpretations? Do you have another one? Have you never thought about it?

I have to admit I don't usually try to interpret the media I consume purely for entertainment.
I guess there is something intriguing about a dark interpretaion, especially since many songs just sound so fun. But in the end... I like happy endings. There is a certain beauty in tragedy and heartbreak and suffering and I feel like HIM is really big on that, actually. But when it comes down to it, I can revel in those feelings, but please keep the violence out of it. Don't hurt people.
So I guess this was a nice thought experiment for me but I mostly just wanna have fun : D
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
Re: Razorblade Romance interpretations
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
So...this is a thing, huh. I can't unread what I have read.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.