Author Topic: Helldone 2014 (+New album incoming)  (Read 12510 times)

Offline Gannicus

Helldone 2014 (+New album incoming)
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
http://m.iltalehti.fi/popstars/2014080918556350_ps.shtml

So, Ville has recently confirmed that the band has some new material and the Helldone Festival 2014-15 is happening again.

Anyway we need a proper translation because some people expect the #9 album to be release on december 2016 and I consider it a translation mistake.

What do you think, guys?

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
Re: Helldone 2014 (+New album incoming)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »
The translation says at the latest December 2016 I would expect late 2015-early 2016 that date seems a bit ridiculous. Great news on the Helldone front I'm looking to go for the 3rd year in a row, these days they're the only HIM shows worth going to.
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
The translation says at the latest December 2016 I would expect late 2015-early 2016 that date seems a bit ridiculous. Great news on the Helldone front I'm looking to go for the 3rd year in a row, these days they're the only HIM shows worth going to.
do you have a smartphone? record one of the shows! i will PM you the best way and all info

SwagSaget

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Two more years would be a really long time to wait for a new album, but I don't want them to rush it at all. I want something that's better and longer than Tears On Tape. I wanna be able to go back and listen to it a year, two years, five years, ect., ect., after it's been released and still find it good and enjoy listening to it.

As far as Helldone goes, I think it's run its course. I feel like they should go back to just one show on New Year's like how it used to be. Financially, it might not make a whole lot of sense for them to do that, but as a fan I would expect the one show to be better than the multiple ones they've been doing in recent years instead. Nowadays, they're usually a bit better than your average show on your average tour, but they're not as special as they used to be, in my opinion.

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 04:41:42 PM »
Cory I agree with you they're not much different but in 2012 we got Strange World,Pretending, Sweet Pandemonium and GWTS then last year For You, In joy and Sorrow and DIILWU. Not much but something you won't get at other shows. I've got an iPhone but any recordings I've done in the past have came out crappy.
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17

SwagSaget

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
They need to make a DVD of Helldone that spans the course of the entire thing, with backstage footage and all of the stuff that you don't normally get to see. Kinda like a mini documentary chronicling each day. They can show the soundchecks and the stage being set up and whatnot. Just a bunch of cool stuff to watch. Then with the HIM performance, they can mix and match the songs on the setlist with whichever night they want to or which night they think the song sounded the best or the footage looked the best. It'll never happen, but this is the kind of stuff that I would like to see. A comprehensive behind the scenes experience like that would be really damn cool.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »
Cory I agree with you they're not much different but in 2012 we got Strange World,Pretending, Sweet Pandemonium and GWTS then last year For You, In joy and Sorrow and DIILWU. Not much but something you won't get at other shows. I've got an iPhone but any recordings I've done in the past have came out crappy.
crappy from iphone? i have some original iphone videos (not sure what exact iphone) but they are very good!!!!

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
The sound is just muffled on each occasion I've been very close to the front and the speakers maybe that the problem. As long as I'm going I'll record some songs just have to get tickets.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:47:55 PM by AcousticFuneral »

Offline Inferno

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
You'd need something that is better with low light, an iPhone just won't cut it. I've seen some kind of mic attachment that you can make yourself for like $15.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

SwagSaget

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 10:47:28 PM »
Every bootleger needs one of these or something else like it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/377424-REG/Schoeps_CMC641_SET_Colette_Series_Microphone_Set.html  ;)

Someone used that microphone to record the Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden concert I went to last month. The quality of the recording didn't really turn out all that great, in my opinion (even though it was rated a 5 out of 5 on the website it's hosted at) but it was recorded at an outdoor venue that has really shitty sound to begin with. It's the same place HIM played at during that Projekt Revolution tour with Linkin Park. I'm sure it would do quite well in a small club, though. It's only $2,000. That ain't much. Get a couple of them - just because. Most of the bootlegs I've heard that I thought sounded really good were recorded with a Schoeps mic. If I were rich, I'd get a few different ones and all of the other crap you need to go along with them to use them. I'd be a master bootlegging machine, when it comes to HIM at least. They're the only band I care enough about to want to record myself.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:55:01 AM »
i would go with that if i already had an iphone -
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-iq5-professional-stereo-microphone-ios

zoom mics and devices are good enough, it also has its app for recording in wav , i would go for that, set it to the best possible setings and if you are recording audio you dont have to hold the camera/cellphone over the crowd all the concert, with nice huge SD card and well battery life or backup battery to iphone you can record the entire performanc on video with that mic, there are stairs in tavastia and floor, i would go to the middle of the stairs to get above the crowd, so i dont need to be holding it above my head all 110 minutes
i recorded about one hour or so concert last month and it was terrible how my hand was in one pain and then all shaky even though i had video camera with good stabilizator it was shaky on max zoom so ..... but it was the best buy of that camera, its perfect for bootlegs ,small ,panasonic and it has amazing amazing mic, the sound is amazing even if i stood maybe two meters from amps on one concerts and it recorded that it sounded like soundboard i was shocked

Offline Inferno

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
This is what I was talking about. There's a video on the pages that shows before and after.
http://www.openmusiclabs.com/projects/bootlegmic/
[/

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
yeah bootlegMIC ! i tried to do it, thank you for reminding me :-D i need to buy proper conector and i have the rest :-D

SwagSaget

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »
So, what is everyone's hopes for the new album? I wouldn't mind a Dark Light Part 2 or something like that. I think they could replicate that album fairly easily if they tried to give it that sort of vibe, but I don't think they could ever make another album like Love Metal or Razorblade Romance. I don't think they really should try either, at least not to make an exact replica of those two albums. It's best to let those two stand on their own. Tears On Tape was supposed to be a return to their roots, but it certainly didn't sound like it. My fear is that it's basically going to be a mix between Screamworks and Tears On Tape with more "real" songs this time around and no instrumentals, making it a longer album than Tears On Tape was. If Screamworks was produced by Hiili and mixed by Tim, that's what I think the new album will sound like. I'm hoping they go in a different direction than that, but that seems to be the "style" of HIM nowadays.

Also: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iXYL/

I promise you guys that the next time HIM's around here, that I'll record the concert. Audio only, though. I've been meaning to do it for over ten years now, so next time is the time. It won't be the most amazing quality you've ever heard, but I'll use something that's nice and reasonably priced to capture it - in lossless, of course.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:58:18 PM by SwagSaget »

Offline Inferno

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
So, what is everyone's hopes for the new album? I wouldn't mind a Dark Light Part 2 or something like that. I think they could replicate that album fairly easily if they tried to give it that sort of vibe, but I don't think they could ever make another album like Love Metal or Razorblade Romance. I don't think they really should try either, at least not to make an exact replica of those two albums. It's best to let those two stand on their own. Tears On Tape was supposed to be a return to their roots, but it certainly didn't sound like it. My fear is that it's basically going to be a mix between Screamworks and Tears On Tape with more "real" songs this time around and no instrumentals, making it a longer album than Tears On Tape was. If Screamworks was produced by Hiili and mixed by Tim, that's what I think the new album will sound like. I'm hoping they go in a different direction than that, but that seems to be the "style" of HIM nowadays.

Also: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iXYL/

I promise you guys that the next time HIM's around here, that I'll record the concert. Audio only, though. I've been meaning to do it for over ten years now, so next time is the time. It won't be the most amazing quality you've ever heard, but I'll use something that's nice and reasonably priced to capture it - in lossless, of course.

That's funny because I was going to say a cross between Screamworks and Tears on Tape lol. Tears on Tape touched on a little bit of the oldschool HIM, but it had a more modern sound. I think the production/depth of sound on Screamworks was great... even on some of Dark Light's songs, but it lacked a bit of the "dark" sound. I think if they could take the production/depth of sound from Screamworks, throw in some of the grunginess of Tears on Tape, and some Love Metal style lyrics they will have a solid sounding album. Of course there are other bits and pieces of the other albums that I like too.

Just imagine songs similar to the Gone With the Sin demo from SWD with some better drums and ToT-like guitars.  8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:55:33 PM by Inferno »
[/

SwagSaget

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 12:14:35 AM »
Speaking of guitars, what would really be cool is if Linde switched back to the lower B tuning that he used to use. That would make for a refreshing, but also old school, sound for the guitars and for the overall sound as well. The "HIM sound" that they've created for themselves really needs to be refreshed now and mixed up a little bit, but it still has to stay true to what and who they are. Something as simple as going back to that tuning on the guitar after all this time could at least help to do that, I feel.

I think my perfect mix as of right now would be a return to the lower tuned guitar, with prominent keyboard parts like on Dark Light with all of the different sorts of sounds Burton was able to achieve on that album, combined with Love Metal-like lyrics. It would be an interesting combination to hear for sure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:30:13 AM by SwagSaget »

Offline Alex

• HIM MANIA
  • Associate
  • In The Arms Of Rain
    • HIM MANIA
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 03:35:38 AM »
i hope  "latest 6 dec 2016" is a mistake instead dec 2015.
as far as the new album sound....i dont try to think too much. like always leave all in the hands of Ville.
the translation says hymn-church-like song  which sounds good to me  :D :D :D :D

Offline Heartagram dan

• ][=][--][--][V][-
  • Mobbed Up
  • She'll be right here in these arms!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »
With the new album, i really hope it's earlier than december 2016. But we can only wait and see i suppose. When it comes to what i think the album will sound like, I don't always set an expectation, just in case it disappoints me because it wasn't as i expected. I really enjoyed TOT, and I'm looking forward to whatever the guys have in store for us.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
i am not going to tell mix of albums that i want the next album to sound like, i will try to express it with the mix of the certain songs
everybody always wished only mix of this album with that album and i was the same, but this time i think that is pointless because there are so different parts on the album that they seem to be like a compilations to me, at least ToT and Screamworks sounds like this to me

i have always high expectations and i expect that much that its hard not to disappoint me. If i should edit all my expectations, thoughts and wishes i would say that i want the album that will be mixed and produced, simply i want it to sound like they sounded on DVD "Live at Semifinal" - they had the most brilliant live sound here, so raw and hard, that sound with the keyboards like they used in live version of AND LOVE SAID NO at Helldone 2009/2010 - to make amazing contrast of raw guitars and soft keyboards
1. Venus In Our Blood
2. I Love You (White House version)
3. Shatter me with hope (Sword of democles)
4. Salt In Our Wounds (Thulsa Doom version)
5. Resurrection
6. The 9th Circle
7. Smother a Heart (The Foreboding Sense Of Impending Happiness)
8. Razorblade Kiss
9. The Heartless (Club - Remix)
10. The Beginning of the end
11. Pretending

something like that  ;D ultimate mix of all kind of their previous cool stuff , something interesting like club remix of heartless or smother a heart, with heavy hard salt in our wounds thulsa doom, something melodic like resurrection or venus in our blood or pretending, dark like the beginning of the end and amazing like i love you white house version or razorblade kiss
but i want at least 50 minutes of materials ! no instrumentals / ambient craps

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:16:30 PM by 616 »

Offline Lujja

• ••ll•ll•[ HIM-Valo ]•ll•ll•• My hell begins from the 10th and descends to the circle six hundred threescore and six
  • Associate
  • The 9th Circle
    • Heartabolikal HIM Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 04:52:40 PM »
When someone asked me about the new album, the only thing that comes to my mind is a mature work of the band. One way to explain what I'm hoping for the "new album" is a combination of an atmosphere of "Love Metal", with small touches of Venus Doom, some keyboards from Dark Light and with deep and mature lyrics like Love Metal or Dark Light , with some references on the lyrics involving interpretation but without any exaggeration as some lyrics of "Screamworks" (something like Behind the Crimson Door, Face Of God or their bonus tracks Venus and The Cage with the influence of Love Metal-Venus Doom sound (heavy guitars, melancholyc keyboards atmosphere).

Some long songs, lyrics with which you identify and describe some of what you feel, piano-keyboards that give an interesting atmosphere, accompanied by guitar riffs that will reach the heart ... I really miss a good guitar solo of Linde, such a great feeling that you drew a sigh ... which probably we have not seen since Cyanide Sun...

If I describe what I look for in a single song, probably give an example like "The Path" (live version) ... not on a "classic" pattern "intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus", something which breaks with the length regardless of whether the lyrics are widespread, we have instrumental moments that give a feeling that words can not describe, other lyrics can give a different meaning, depending on your mood... that I would hear like to listen on the new album.

This is what I would hear on the new album. I don't care if there are only 10 songs, I really want to hear something good without lengths limitations as Tears on Tape or Screamworks (no more "single edits" as "album versions").  At least 50 minutes of good songs (on average 5 mins per song) , some "good" instrumentals (example: piano intros or guitar solos) and a little mix of influences on the album without losing the identity of the album... (like Love Metal, we have some "heavy songs" and some "melancholic songs", without losing the sound of the album).

I will "copy" the idea of Milos (616) with the songlist of influences that I want... It's an improvised list, it probably can change:

01 - Venus (in our Blood) -> probably something like this as single
02 - Beyond Redemption (live version)
03 - Lose You Tonight (live 2003 version)
04 - Shatter Me With Hope (Sword of Democles with some DL-LM atmosphere)
05 - When Love And Death Embrace
06 - Gone With The Sin (Some mix of 2001 live version with the SWD version)
07 - Behind The Crimson Door
08 - Cyanide Sun
09 - The Face of God
10 - The Path (live version)

Bonus tracks
11 - W.L.S.T.D.
12 - Play Dead
13 - Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath or Type O Negative version... why not? :P)

Note: When I'm refering some "Dark Light" songs, I'm imagining it with some Love Metal influences... I don't want to hear "Wings of a Butterfly Vol. 2"  ;D

That's what I feel now... and probably that can change on some months... but I really miss that sound. Some mix of the heavy, dark and melancholyc influences of HIM. Sure... I want to hear something heavy and "dirty" too, probably something like Razorblade Romance/Venus Doom... but that's my mood right now.

Btw... your approach is very interesting "616". I really want to hear something like SMWH (Demo), SIOW (Thulsa Doom) or The 9th Circle on a future.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:12:08 PM by HIM-Valo »
Where the lost are safe until they love again...

Offline Alex

• HIM MANIA
  • Associate
  • In The Arms Of Rain
    • HIM MANIA
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »

1. Venus In Our Blood
5. Resurrection
6. The 9th Circle
8. Razorblade Kiss
11. Pretending

everything was totally perfect until.... pretending  :D :D ;D

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 06:14:24 PM »
Quite simply what I'd like is the album And Love Said No would fit on or failing that something completely different. Honestly even of you offered me Screamworks part 2 I think I'd prefer something new as I don't feel we got that with TOT, no more trying to remake an old album lets have some progression because I'd imagine we're not going to get that many more albums.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 12:42:38 AM »

1. Venus In Our Blood
5. Resurrection
6. The 9th Circle
8. Razorblade Kiss
11. Pretending

everything was totally perfect until.... pretending  :D :D ;D
i love pretending  ;D it has so catchy chorus , i could not help it
altough listen to some live of Pretending from 2003 or 2004, that would be even better

Offline Inferno

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
I must agree with most of the songs listed. They've drifted away from their melodic roots for sure. They've given it up for faster paced singing and pitchier guitars. I'd like them to tone it down a little... A song can still be badass even if it's slow, it's all about the atmosphere and emotion.

Examples are Circle of Fear, This fortress of Tears, Love's Requiem, The Face of God, Drunk on Shadows, Play Dead, and Venus (In our Blood).

All these songs were excellent. Vocals and Guitars were prominent when they should be and not in your face constantly like their more modern songs.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:48:22 PM by Inferno »
[/

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »
and there are still no further informations about the promised reissues :-D i think this is not even funny anymore, the summer is leaving , slowly but for sure, within few weeks its autumn
they still have NO website, i think the december of 2016 is realistic for them to release another album :-D sorry guys for saying that but i think they got into the very lousy label. They were in Warner/sire , they had amazing advertisement, they were gold with the first album in this label, they were huge! now some Volbeat is more popular than HIM, its hard for me to accept that how they  went from 10 to 5 .....

for the next album i only wish they will change the setlist to the tour and they will retire the 90% of their current setlist and they will play songs that were forgotten for too long already