Author Topic: Absinthe anyone?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
  • "One last caress from the corpse of love...."
Absinthe anyone?
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »
So, just taking a random poll here- anyone ever try absinthe?  I don't know what my fascination is lately, but I've been considering getting some to try. I've been researching all kinds of stuff and have even considered buying the special spoon, etc., just for giggles.  I'm just curious if anyone has any tips or recommendations?  Or are we non-drinkers? Thanks a bunch!  :D

Offline Kattatonia

Re: Absinthe anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:29:54 AM »
So, just taking a random poll here- anyone ever try absinthe?  I don't know what my fascination is lately, but I've been considering getting some to try. I've been researching all kinds of stuff and have even considered buying the special spoon, etc., just for giggles.  I'm just curious if anyone has any tips or recommendations?  Or are we non-drinkers? Thanks a bunch!  :D

I have never tried it, But I too was curious and I guess I lost interest over the years. Some of those spoons are really neat....lol
Absinthe is hard to get in the USA. Marilyn Manson has or had his own brand called Mansinthe, maybe that would be easier to find.

Offline Inferno

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »
Meh, it's just another alcoholic beverage to me. It was banned for some time because people thought it produced psychedelic effects since it contains trace amounts of chemicals that CAN cause it.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline Inferno

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »

I have never tried it, But I too was curious and I guess I lost interest over the years. Some of those spoons are really neat....lol
Absinthe is hard to get in the USA. Marilyn Manson has or had his own brand called Mansinthe, maybe that would be easier to find.

That's a general misconception that people throw around. Absinthe is readily available in the US and even produced here and it NOT illegal. In fact, some of the strongest absinthe is made in the US. People will also claim that the Absinthe made today (Post-ban) is of less quality or watered down so as not to include the psychedelic... This is not true. It is still made the same everywhere and uses the same ingredients and amounts.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:40:15 AM by Inferno »
[/

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
its common here in Slovakia, but i dont like it, it reminds me a taste of toothpaste  ;D and it is strong as fuck here it is common that everywhere is 70% Absinthe.... very bad memories on that  ;D :D

my drink of choice is whiskey (i prefer Irish whiskey and American bourbon whiskey) with Coca-Cola  ;D
i also like Rum with Beer but this combo is quite hard to handle for someone  ;D

Offline Kattatonia

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:55:03 AM »

http://www.drinkupny.com/absinthe_s/86.htm

I just ordered a bottle of the Mansinthe from this site, they are located in NYC, I'm planning to get this signed the next time I meet Manson though ( :

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
As many have already said, it's just a misconception that it causes psychedelic effects. I used to live in Switzerland and drank it a few times back then. It tastes very bad, and is VERY strong. I blacked out one night after drinking it, but can't report any psychedelic experience. I have had a fair amount of psychedelic drugs as well, and I can safely say that absinthe does not produce any of the same effects.

Mansinthe does sound pretty awesome though  ;D

Offline Jay

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
I've drank it a few times.  The kind I had was extremely bitter, so the sugar cubes are essential.  I didn't have any, so I threw in a spoonful of sugar.

In Austin, there's a bar (Shiner's Saloon) that serves the A-Bomb.  It's where they burn the absinthe, you inhale the fumes, and down another shot.  It's very good, and it's a good show shot.

I found that for me, it's a very clean buzz.  I'll wake up the next day just fine.  I don't drink it very often, though. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:40:20 AM by Jay »

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
Wow lot's of responses!!  So overall is the consensus that it tastes bad or bitter?

Here are the websites I have been looking at:
http://www.absinthe-review.com/

http://www.absinthes.com/index.php

I haven't actually looked in the local liquor store for any absinthe- I guess I just made the assumption that it would be near impossible to get. I do think the spoons look cool as hell though, haha.

I even watched a few YouTube videos on how to "prepare" the absinthe by dripping the ice cold water over the sugar cube and then stirring it.  How freaking cool is it that it turns green? Ha!  I am afraid that I will black out and not know how much or little to drink... but I am guessing that the flavor will probably deter me from that?

I prefer Jack and Coke or Vodka martini's but have been really curious about this stuff lately. 

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »
Jack & Coke :) yessss!!

Offline Inferno

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »
I've had it once and at the time I thought my cousin was joking cause I thought it was illegal. I don't remember the taste, but I remember walking over to the bathroom to take a piss and then waking up on the floor without a clue what had happened. I didn't throw up or anything, but it did take me for a trip.
[/

Offline Jay

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »
I can say that the first and second time I drank it, I did black out.  I woke up feeling fine, as if I never drank at all.  But my friends had stories of me doing some dumb but funny shit.  :)

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »
Holy crap - I guess I better not drink this by myself!   :o 

I've only blacked out once from too much jager - won't touch the stuff now, plus it was a really bad, bad hangover.

Offline Jay

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Oh no, in my experience with Jager...I've also blacked out, but instead of being happy, I'm destructive.  The hangover sucks.  It's quite the opposite with absinthe; for me anyway.

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:01 PM »
Destructive young man, huh? Tsk tsk tsk.  ;D  It was the god-awfulest hang over I've ever had.  And I was so pissed because it was at a HIM show in Worchester, Mass - flew up there and went to the show with my friend and completely drank too much.  I vaguely remember the band starting and then the next thing I know I'm face down in the bed at the hotel room.  Thank goodness fully clothed.  ??? 

I have read a lot of stuff where people say little to no hangover with absinthe...whenever I get my hands on some I will be sure to share the experience as long as I remember it!

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 03:02:05 AM »
be a man, drink beer mixed with vodka
you will see that hangover  ;D

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
be a man, drink beer mixed with vodka
you will see that hangover  ;D

Ha! Beer and vodka mixed??  That's interesting. What kind of beer are we talking about? About the only kind I'll drink are the German hefe's.....otherwise it's a no go for me.  Just can't get into the brewski's.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
Czech beer! Pilsner Urquell! but i dont mind every beer is good

Offline Jay

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
My friend made a drink called "Pink Panty Dropper". You get a case of beer (light) pour all 24 cans into a cooler, pour a whole handle of Everclear in, and two canisters of Country Time pink lemonade. Mix it all up and enjoy your night.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
Everclear? is that 95 % strong shit? i dont wanna end up blind LOL  ;D

Offline Jay

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
Yeah! But the amazing part is that you don't taste it. It tastes like pink lemonade. And the girls love it!