Author Topic: Rank the albums  (Read 15588 times)

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
Re: Rank the albums
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 11:34:39 PM »
I don't dislike Screamworks. It's musically like a breezy summer's day, warm and airy. Venus Doom is a cool, dead fall night. Love Metal is a bleak winters day after snowfall. Deep Shadows is one of those cool, dark evenings between summer and fall.
Don't judge me, my brain just thinks up weird things.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline crowley

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 03:58:49 AM »
I don't dislike Screamworks. It's musically like a breezy summer's day, warm and airy. Venus Doom is a cool, dead fall night. Love Metal is a bleak winters day after snowfall. Deep Shadows is one of those cool, dark evenings between summer and fall.

I think about that kind of stuff all the time. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Offline Gannicus

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
I like post like this, showing what our brains do with the imagination of the music.

Offline Lujja

• ••ll•ll•[ HIM-Valo ]•ll•ll•• My hell begins from the 10th and descends to the circle six hundred threescore and six
  • Associate
  • The 9th Circle
    • Heartabolikal HIM Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 02:00:22 AM »
1 - Venus Doom
2 - Love Metal
3 - Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights
4 - Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666
5 - Razorblade Romance
6 - Screamworks
7 - Dark Light

** This rank isn't static. It changes... Depends on my mood and stage of my life.

The music is a special thing for the meaning we give to our lives... Probably "Tears on Tape" is on my Top 3 but it has been little time to judge it, I need time to give it a meaning on my life.

Deep Shadows is one of the most special of my life (for the meaning). Venus Doom is the soundtrack of my life, so special to me... Love Metal is the most mature album in my view, definitely a masterpiece. Greatest Lovesongs is a masterpiece too, When Love and Death Embrace is the most special song of my life. Razorblade Romance is the most overated album in my view... Screamworks and Dark Light aren't bad... but don't mean much to my life.
Where the lost are safe until they love again...

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
  • "One last caress from the corpse of love...."
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 03:19:08 AM »
1. Dark Light
2. Venus Doom
3. DSBH
4. Razorblade Romance
5. Screamworks
6. Tears on Tape
7. Love Metal
8. GLS 666

I know a lot of people dislike Dark Light but the lyrics and the music on that album are haunting and brilliant.  It also was released at a time when I was taking a music appreciation class so I listened to it intently and fell hopelessly in love.  Venus Doom for me came at a time when I broke up with someone I thought I would marry, so.... it just came at the right time in my life and was there to fill the hole in my heart.  The rest really I couldn't really put in order because they are all special in their own ways.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:24:36 PM by Jaded_Heart »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
+1 for Dark Light
i think it is their most underrated album with DSBH

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »
Agreed.  The music really compliments the lyrics and the combination of it all together really captures the essence of the songs....like the beginning of I Play Dead. It comes in all symphonic and then quiets while the lyrics are being sung, almost sounds ghostly in some parts ....it's hard to describe what I mean and I can't remember the term for it, but I hope you get what I mean.  But I agree that the album is underrated. 

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
Agreed.  The music really compliments the lyrics and the combination of it all together really captures the essence of the songs....like the beginning of I Play Dead. It comes in all symphonic and then quiets while the lyrics are being sung, almost sounds ghostly in some parts ....it's hard to describe what I mean and I can't remember the term for it, but I hope you get what I mean.  But I agree that the album is underrated.

Play dead is one of my favorites songs!!! amazing song (beautiful lyrics and amazing music/sound + greatly mixed!).... take a look - http://thesacrament.net/forum/index.php?topic=6170.msg132843#msg132843

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 12:02:34 AM »
Play dead is one of my favorites songs!!! amazing song (beautiful lyrics and amazing music/sound + greatly mixed!).... take a look - http://thesacrament.net/forum/index.php?topic=6170.msg132843#msg132843

Awesome! So glad to know I'm not alone.  :P  I love the whole album and never skip a song. There is just something about how it was mixed, I dunno.... I dig it.

Offline Heartagram dan

• ][=][--][--][V][-
  • Mobbed Up
  • She'll be right here in these arms!
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 03:13:32 AM »
Play dead is an excellent song, but unfortunately it's been linked to bad memories. Now, whenever I listen to play dead, I just think of those memories. But it's still a great song, even if it does remind me of bad times.

Offline regularwill

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »
This is a VERY hard list to make, since I listen to them for different reasons.  For example, I go to sleep listening to the soothing songs from DS&BH and I wake up to Venus Doom.   Dark Light is played when I'm down, and RR when I'm feeling good.  If I had to pick though, it'd be:

1)  Razorblade Romance.  Every song on this album is great and the whole album flows well.  Also, was the first album I heard, thanks to a girl in middle school who let me borrow it, then told me I could have it!  Best present ever!

2)  Venus Doom.  The only song I don't particularly care for is Song or Suicide but for me, Sleepwalking Past Hope makes up for it.

3)  Deep Shadows & Brilliant Highlights.  Love everything about it!  It's such a relaxing album.  There's no standout song on here for me, because I can't pick any of them over the other.

4)  Dark Light.  It holds great memories for me.  Musically though, I can't stand Wings of a Butterfly anymore.

5)  Love Metal.  I believe it best showcases their abilities.  Each member has the song they shine on.  This would be the album I'd give to a friend to get them into HIM.

6)  Tears on Tape.  Great album but it's too short in album length and song length and it's the first album with basically, filler material on it.  Though I do like Kiss The Void.

7)  Greatest Love Songs, Vol. 666.  I really dig the heaviness of this album and listen to it quite often but Don't Fear the Reaper kills it for me.  I hate the female vocals in it and that damn keyboard note that drones through the last minute or more of the song is like needles to me.

8 )  Screamworks.  This album just doesn't do much for me.  I like Ode to Solitude, In the Arms of Rain, In Venere Veritas, Like St. Valentine, and Shatter Me With Hope, but this album seems bland to me.  Even most of the acoustic performances are just average.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:09:08 PM by volcom_sk83r »

Offline Gannicus

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
1) Love Metal: Nothing can beat Love Metal. Is THE album. It has it all: Melodies, moods, atmosphere, fast rock, best lyrics ever and so on. Funeral of Hearts was the song that drag me to the HIM world and since that day it's been my fav song. I don't really listen to this album a lot, I think is good to breath and listen to it relaxed and all that. Last night I listened from BABL to Path and there's no doubt, I'm in love with this album.

2) Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice: I mistreated this album a lot. I used to underestimate it just because that American sound but hey, fuck that, really, I don't fucking care. It took me sooooome time to realise that there's no song on this album that I don't like. Every song on this album has a special meaning to me, it doesn't matter if the chorus is too un-HIM, at the end of the day is an album that the band is really proud of but it didn't sell well. I have really bad memories with this album, 2010 was my worst year, but now I can enjoy it. Heartkiller, Love the Hardest Way, ITAOR, Ode, Shatter Me, Acoustic Funeral... god. I love the sound of the drums here and it's a really great album for Burton.

3) Venus Doom: A masterpiece. It has atmosphere, poppy choruses, killer drums, it's fantastic. I love all the songs, maybe SOS is a bit filler but as a whole is perfect. It could have been my nº 2 but it's okay here aswell. Sleepwalking and Passion's are up in my HIM top 10.

4) Tears on Tape: I have mixed opinions. It's a great album but it's too short for its wait and has filler material which HIM doesn't need, but in the other hand there are tracks that are fucking gold. HAW, D&Q, WLSTD, the chorus on LWT. I expected more songs and more lenght but is a good album.

5) Razorblade Romance: This album is like having sex. It's energic, erotic, sensual, has some of the best basslines of HIM... Resurrection, Razorblade Kiss, OLT, DIILWU are great tracks but the studio version of Posion Girl, Join Me and RHIMA are a bit uninteresting.

6) Dark Light: It's a really good album and the b-sides Venus and The Cage are pure gold but songs like WOAB, Face of God and Drunk on Shadows are now a bit boring. I have great memories from this album but it has to be on the 6º spot, sorry Dark Light.

7) Deep Shadows and Brilliant Hightlights: Has great tracks like Heartache, Pretending or Beautiful but is really bland. I can see why they don't play tracks off from here, HEM should be played anyway. At first I loved it but as the years pass...

8 ) Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666: I usually don't really love the first album of some bands and with HIM there is no exception. I dig all the tracks but is the album I listen the least and I personally prefer the RR versions of 666 and Wicked.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:46:28 AM by Gannicus »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
Ok i re-opened this thread after several months

it has been a quiet time last few months/weeks .  So i hope you all guys will join this thread once again!

i was wondering, Tears on Tape is out almost 8 months now, its a long time to absorb the first impression and feelings of the album

What do you think about the ToT album after that time and hours and hours of listening, and what is your "rank the album" now ??

i can tell for myself that 2013 year was kinda odd, they performed very well, they had perfect sound, Ville was excellent (after the last years Helldone!) and the website is still just a piece of crap , the setlist was boring and the same, there is no complete full soundboard bootleg, no proshot live video ;D ;D ;D

my shit to this:
1.DSBH
(1.666)-And Love Said No (song) !
2.Razorblade
3.Tears On Tape
4.Dark Light
5.Gr8est luvsongs
6.Screamworks
7.Love Metal
8.Venus Doom

maybe this is suprising for someone, but i somehow stopped liking the Love Metal album and ToT went pretty high in my list
i am not excited about tot anymore like i was after the first listening, now i can tell that they really did a great job and ToT is pretty amazing (in my opinion), i never realized how easy going album it is and pretty melodic + i LOVE the artwork, this is by far my favorite booklet ever , i mean FVCK the lyrics in the booklet, the artwork is really ART now and it fits well to this album

few more days and Helldone is behind the door, lets see the setlist and maybe some oldies (i WANT them to play "The Sacrament" and "And Love Said No",..)

SwagSaget

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »
1. Dark Light
2. Love Metal
3. Razorblade Romance
4. Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights
5. Screamworks
6. Tears On Tape
7. Venus Doom
8. Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666

It's always hard to rank the albums, but that's how they stand currently for me based on how much I listen to each nowadays. I've always been hard on Screamworks, and I rarely ever go back and listen to it, but I do so more often than the three albums listed below it.

As far as Tears On Tape goes, I still find it too short and uninspired for my liking. It gives off the impression that it was just thrown together quickly and without much thought just to get something new out there and see what would happen. It's still good, don't get me wrong. I've never heard a bad HIM song, which means there isn't such thing as a bad HIM album. I think the next album will be much better and more of what we accustomed to from the band, provided they have the money to put into making such a record.

I'm excited about Helldone, and I hope to see some nice changes made to the setlist. My only concern is that the changes won't be the changes I'm hoping for, or that they will revert back to the old setlist when they come here to the US. It's sort of bittersweet remembering back to what the old New Year's shows used to be like compared to how they are now. I hope they give it their all this time around. A rough version of a new song they're working on is probably too much to ask for, but some old favorites thrown back in that should've never been tossed out anyway, a new cover perhaps, and a song or two that have never been played live before would make me very happy, even if we get none of that when they play here in the US.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 02:35:02 AM »
You surprised me Cory with that Dark light on the first place ! thumbs up!  8) very good

yeah ToT is without any doubt a very short album, some bands mark these short albums like EPs only, or extended EPs , but nevermind ,at least something.

well i hope you guys will have better and changed setlist in the 2014 Tour (US and South America, Australia too), but its now pretty obvious that they will perform old hits like : wicked game, BABL, wings, join me, its all tears, RHIMA of course

Offline soft-space

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 02:49:46 AM »
1. Dark Light
2. Screamworks
3. Deep Shadows & Brilliant Highlights
4. Razorblade Romance
5. Tears On Tape
6. XX- Two Decades of Love Metal

Offline Jay

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 12:02:35 AM »
Currently, I'd go with

1. Razorbalde Romance
2. Tears on Tape
3. Love Metal
4a. Screamworks
4b. Venus Doom
(I changed their places several times, so they get an A and B)
6. Deep Shadows
7. Dark Light
8. Greatest Lovesongs

Offline Jaded_Heart

• Picciotto
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
1. Dark Light
2. Screamworks
3. Venus Doom
4. Tears on Tape
5. Deep Shadows, Brilliant Highlights
6. Razorblade Romance
7. Love Metal
8. Greatest Lovesongs, Vol. 666

I think it's funny how after time you love one album so much then suddenly it falls by the wayside and something else takes its place, but for me I am still utterly in love with Dark Light and have yet to get sick of that album.

Love Metal for me just never ranks high....but it's not because I don't like the album- the whole thing is solid from beginning to end, but what honestly draws me in are the lyrics and that album just doesn't do it for me for some reason. LOL.  Regardless, all of them are special to me and it is hard to list them in order of preference but it is what it is at this point...ha!

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
i had a nice weekend with plenty of time , it was HOT outside like hell, no water nearby as i live so FAR from any sea, i decided to listen to every HIM album as they were released with all bonuses to it
i was not listening to HIM for a while (only when i played the guitar - but i have my own setlist so its different)

1. Razorblade Romance
1,5. And Love Said No
2. Dark Light
3. Deep Shadows
4. Tears On Tape
5. Greatest Lovesongs vol 666
6. Venus Doom
7. Love Metal
8. Screamworks

after all these years this is finally my list that is not based on actual mood and what i like at the moment, but i considered it, thought about every aspect of the album from the mixing, mastering, production, overall sound, booklet, song titles, album titles, artwork, lyrics and everything together this is the list how i think their albums are like

Razorblade Romance - simple - its their best because it has amazing produced sound, its well mixed and with all the bonuses (the 9th circle, sigillum,... ) its the album that made this band famous worldwide - no wonder, they were young, Ville was at his top with his voice and there are no boring parts on the album, and there is something that makes the band so awesome
And Love Said No song - this is by far one of their most underrated songs ever, this song has only disadvantage that it was released on the compilation, but i understand that, this song doesnt fit to the Dark Light, neither to Love Metal, it has extremely strong lyrics and the melody that is perfect, unique song, only minus is the music video that is kinda weird and not from their best videos
Dark Light - probably my favorite album, but not their best, they screwed a lot of important things on it - badly chosen singles! terrible choices + they should not have made Venus in our blood a bonus but single with Vampire Heart and The Face of God should have been made into the bonus song, but the album is well mixed, its very catchy, melodic
DSBH - i believe if they made this album as they wanted and not as the label forced them, i believe this would be their best work , amazing songs on this album
ToT-well mixed, no bonuses makes it kinda poor and short because of the album lenght
the rest - weaker albums, only love metal is very badly mixed , i dont like the sound of it at all
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:58:31 PM by 616 »

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
1. Razorblade Romance
2. Deep Shadows
3. Love Metal
4. Greatest Lovesongs vol 666
5. Tears On Tape
6. Venus Doom
7. Screamworks
8. Dark Light

Offline eairthrow

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
1. Love Metal
2. Razorblade Romance
3. Tears on Tape
4. Dark Light
5. Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights
6. Greatest Lovesongs vol. 666
7. Screamworks
8. Venus Doom
I'm fine but I hear those voices at night...

Offline AcousticFuneral

• Mobbed Up
  • Once Again We've Found Ourselves To Be Lost
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
My updated list after listening to all of them lately and the excitement of Tears on Tape dying down.

1.Screamworks:Love In Theory In Practice- I know this is many peoples least favourite but for me at least, each song is perfect and i think lyrically it is by far the strongest and the music just compliments them. It contains my 2 absolutely favourite HIM songs in Scared to Death and Acoustic Funeral. It would take an absolutely incredible album to knock this from the top.

2.Razorblade Romance-There isn't a song i don't like on it, there isn't much to say, it's well produced, sounds great and the highlights for me would be Resurrection, Razorblade Kiss and BMDIYH.

3.Love Metal- Again all great songs and good variety between heavier songs and the softer ones.

4.Venus Doom-Another wonderful HIM album heavier again and Dead Lovers Lane is a favourite of mine.

5. GLS666- This would probably be at number 4 if it were a bit longer but For You and Our Diabolikal Rapture are very good and obviously WLADE.

6.Dark Light- The first HIM album i ever heard apart from ALSN(agree with you 616 it's a great song and the one that got me into HIM.) I just don't ever really listen to dark light too often anymore.

7.Deep Shadows- This is a love hate one for me i really like Please don't let it go, Pretending and Salt in our wounds. But i cannot stand Beautiful and i don't really like close to the flame and the others i don't really have a strong opinion on.

8. Tears on Tape- As i said i think it was a good idea to do this list again because in my previous attempt it was up a bit higher in 6th, for me the instrumental tracks ruin it, there just isn't enough material considering the break they took and what there is just doesn't do it for me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:22:15 PM by AcousticFuneral »
HIM Shows-14/03/10 19/03/10 28/12/12 29/12/12 30/12/12 31/12/12 26/04/13 21/10/13 27/10/13 31/12/13 31/12/14 27/12/15 30/12/15 31/12/15 16/12/17 27/12/17 31/12/17
VV Shows-13/01/23 14/01/23 15/01/23 14/03/23 29/12/23 30/12/23 31/12/23

Offline Peter Forge

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
simple question, simple answer

1.Love Metal
2.Greatest Lovesongs vol.666
3. Tears on Tape
4. Venus Doom
5. Razorblade Romance
6. Dark Light
7. Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights