Author Topic: Megaupload is Back (as Mega)  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Jay

Megaupload is Back (as Mega)
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »
A year ago to the day, Megaupload was raided and shut down by the US "Gubment!"  (AKA "The Man", man).  Kim Dotcom has relaunched a file sharing service.  It's apparently super-encrypted. 

https://mega.co.nz

I was gonna write up a bit more on it, but I don't feel like it anymore.  You can read all about it here. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/01/19/kim-dotcoms-new-mega-encrypted-cloud-storage-see-no-evil-store-no-evil/?utm_campaign=techtwittersf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/18/kim-dotcoms-mega-opens-site-to-early-users-reveals-roadmap-with-mobile-access-office-style-features-and-more/

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:48:25 PM by Jay »

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
Re: Megaupload is Back (as Mega)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:31:48 PM »
+1 for "Gubment!" lol

I like 50GB for free, but is it really REQUIRED to provide a key, or could you create a unencrypted link?

Offline Jay

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
The encryption is supposed to protect THEM, from what I understand.

Let's say you uploaded Tears on Tape, the encrypted key it provides makes it basically impossible for them to know what you uploaded, so they can play dumb in case of another raid.

The only person that knows is you, and whoever you provided the key to.  So if there is another raid, basically you and whoever downloaded the file is liable.

Again, that's my understanding.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »
so if you upload some protected stuff, youre the only responsible
and they are not?
so every operation is on your own risk if you are uploading protected materials
and they cant be touched at all?

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
so if you upload some protected stuff, youre the only responsible
and they are not?
so every operation is on your own risk if you are uploading protected materials
and they cant be touched at all?

Yeah, that's basically what it comes down to.  The US is already looking at him again to see if he has violated the terms of his probation, so who knows.  I'm not going to use it, but I rarely used Megaupload back in the day.

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:08:17 PM »
I was wondering if I could post a mega link to a forum, such as this one, and not have to provide a "key" (or password) to whoever wanted to download it.

Offline Jay

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
I'm not sure.  I suppose you could try it.  From one of the articles:

"...You can provide links to your files (either containing the key so someone can access them directly or by providing them with the key separately) but you are prompted with a caution about not transmitting the keys through insecure channels and a far-reaching copyright warning."

The site itself says

“First of all, a word of caution: The cryptographic security of your files depends on the confidentiality of the associated encryption keys,” the site states. “Make sure that you transmit them via protected channels only! Standard e-mail, for example, is not good enough. With that in mind, select one or multiple files in your file manager, then right-click and use ‘Get link.’ A dialog with the public link(s) to the file(s) you have selected will open. You can choose to export each link and key separately or as a single combo link.”
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:27:13 PM by Jay »

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 01:36:16 AM »
After what happened to megaupload, I'm not sure I'd want to use it.

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »
I'm not sure.  I suppose you could try it.  From one of the articles:

"...You can provide links to your files (either containing the key so someone can access them directly or by providing them with the key separately) but you are prompted with a caution about not transmitting the keys through insecure channels and a far-reaching copyright warning."

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, but couldn't find it in the article. Or I was too lazy.

Thanks ;)

Offline Jay

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
A word of advice...I wouldn't use this new Mega shit.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/megaupload-investigation-roots/

It seems as though the owner snitched on a fellow file-sharing site.  And apparently in the terms of service for the new site, they reserve the right to turn you in as well. 

Also with the encryption, it's apparently not as safe as it appears.  Here's a whole article about the encryption, some of which I'm too dumb to understand and explain.  :)

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01/megabad-a-quick-look-at-the-state-of-megas-encryption/

It seems as if that anyone who downloaded a file can be implicated, not just the uploader. 

And even though we're just a blip on these interwebz, I don't want any part of this shit for you, me, or anyone else.  No Mega links will be allowed here.  It seems too risky, and from what is being said, the US is already looking into it.  Their twitter account was just hacked as well, and a DDoS attack was made on it. 

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:00:55 AM »
Chu got it, boss