Author Topic: Tears on Tape  (Read 424160 times)

Offline Jay

Re: Tears on Tape
« Reply #1425 on: April 12, 2013, 12:31:20 AM »
I care about what everyone looks like.  I had a consultation team come in and take a look at all of the members.  All of the ugl...excuse me, the term we liked to use was "unfortunate looking"...all of the unfortunate looking folks have been deleted and banned.

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #1426 on: April 12, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
That's why I couldn't post for a few days...had to claw my way back in!
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #1427 on: April 12, 2013, 02:09:18 AM »
wtf ??? this is a HIM fan? fuck i am ashamed , ..... these emo kids are killing the image of this band ,....

I think when I go to most HIM shows I am ashamed that I like the same band as some of these lumps of flesh. I like the HIM world in my head much more than reality
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Bender Bending R.

• Assistant Manager of Sales, Cerveza, Por favor!
  • Associate
    • .:HIM - The Complete Discography :.
« Reply #1428 on: April 12, 2013, 04:29:32 AM »
Someone got a single Tears on Tape already. Sadly, it's not me) I thought the cover will be a little different. But this one is better. Looking nice, isn't it?

you forgot the pic!!!

Haddonfield

« Reply #1429 on: April 12, 2013, 05:27:19 AM »
Kind of funny...Metal Hammer asked on Twitter what everyone was listening to. I was the very first to respond and said TOT. The next five or so people after me each said something else and got a retweet/reply. Guess Metal Hammer's a little pissy.

Offline Nath

• Cafone
  • So I wander the dark on my own
« Reply #1430 on: April 12, 2013, 06:47:31 AM »
Someone got a single Tears on Tape already. Sadly, it's not me) I thought the cover will be a little different. But this one is better. Looking nice, isn't it?
http://thesacrament.net/forum/Themes/TearsOnTape/images/bbc/ftp.gif

you forgot the pic!!!

Nо...)) Don't you see it in my post?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:51:02 AM by Nath »

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #1431 on: April 12, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
Kind of funny...Metal Hammer asked on Twitter what everyone was listening to. I was the very first to respond and said TOT. The next five or so people after me each said something else and got a retweet/reply. Guess Metal Hammer's a little pissy.
Hey, you could have meant the single, which is released!  ;)

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #1432 on: April 12, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
I'm after my first listen... This album is essentially what Screamworks should be like. Similar vibe, but better sound and some really good riffs. Still nowhere near the quality of Venus Doom though. Some songs seem a bit repetitive. My biggest disappointment of the album would be... Into The Night and Hearts At War - all in all pretty good stuff, but the opening riffs promise so much more! Into The Night especially - incredible, Sabbath-meet-Turbonegro opening, then a little bit of Venus Doom and... then it fades away. Shame.
WLSTD on another hand... It's not even VD-like, it's more GLS-esque. If Ville's vocals were a little bit harsher throughout the whole song, it'd fit right into GLS666.
My other favorites are All Lips Go Blue (catchy as hell) and I Will Be The End Of You. If not for Ville's voice, I Will Be... could easily be mistaken for a Charon song.
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #1433 on: April 12, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
Listened a few more times today. It's now sounding like a less-poppy Dark Light. Not in a bad way, but the song structure and vocals sound the same as many of the songs on that album. To me, it sounds like it was recorded in 2006, right in between Dark Light and Venus Doom. The distortion Linde is using sounds like it's from VD, and the keyboards and vocals sound like they're from Dark Light.

Anyone else agree or am I crazy?

Offline plagueis

« Reply #1434 on: April 12, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
Listened a few more times today. It's now sounding like a less-poppy Dark Light. Not in a bad way, but the song structure and vocals sound the same as many of the songs on that album. To me, it sounds like it was recorded in 2006, right in between Dark Light and Venus Doom. The distortion Linde is using sounds like it's from VD, and the keyboards and vocals sound like they're from Dark Light.

Anyone else agree or am I crazy?

I agree with you on the resemblance to Dark Light, but Linde's tone is more fuzzy than Venus Doom, like GLS666 or RR but with a different fuzz unit. Back then he used the Octafuzz I think, I saw his fuzz unit in the Finnvox Studio Tour video and it wasn't an Octafuzz, sounds different too. Though I prefer the Octafuzz :P

Venus Doom didn't have much fuzz, it was more amp gain than anything

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #1435 on: April 12, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
Now that you say it, I agree on the fuzz sounding different than VD. However, I don't think it sounds like GLS or RR. It sounds like a totally different pedal, like you said.

Do you have a link for that Finnvox Studio tour video that you mentioned?

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #1436 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
My track by track review that I've been working on for a few days:

HIM is back from a 3 year sabbatical with “Tears On Tape”, a highly anticipated album. This time, they recorded the album on their own dime without any record label association. HIM has had the backing of a major label since their inception, would this prove to be a fatal flaw?

The album opens with “Unleash The Red”, an instrumental track. We open with the sounds of a tape being inserted into a tape deck followed by what can best be described as the sort of thing you’d hear in a Dario Argento film. Melodic, dark and brooding, this minute long track leads us directly into the first song proper, “All Lips Go Blue”.

“All Lips Go Blue” is the first single in both the U.S. and U.K. and is a fitting track. The opening guitars have a satisfying crunch that continues throughout the heavy parts of the song. Verses and choruses will remind longtime HIM fans of “Right Here In My Arms”. This is how that song would sound if Ville first recorded it in 2013 opposed to 1999. This song is a great example of the yin/yang of HIM that Ville Valo always preaches. You get a nice blend of the pop side of doom, along with the gothic, dark side. I’m not sure that this was the best track for the U.S., but I will cover that in a bit.

Up next is “Love Without Tears”. As soon as I saw all of the song titles, I figured this was one I would be fond of, and thankfully now that I’ve heard it, it’s one of my favorites on the album.  The track starts with an unrelenting guitar and breaks into one of the most layered HIM sounds I’ve ever heard. The subtle harmonizing vocals just make it for me. The music sounds like a more matured “Pretending”, with drums, bass, guitar, acoustic guitar and tambourine all coming together like peanut butter and chocolate with Ville’s sweet vocals. At about 2:15 we go into a very brief acoustic portion and then to a unique guitar solo that reminds me of a folk-rock band from the 70’s. It’s very well done.

The 4th track is “I Will Be The End Of You”, which was first played live at Helldone 2012 in Finland. I will admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of the live version, nor was I impressed with the initial 30 second preview I heard a while back. However, as I should know by now, do not judge a book by its cover. IWBTEOY is amazing lyrically. The basis of the song is that “love” is telling Ville that it will be his ending, and Ville is just like, “bring it, bitch.” Despite the slightly higher pitched vocals, this is a dirty, punky song. The music itself sounds like something that could have been on 1999’s “Razorblade Romance” and compliments the vocals wonderfully. One nitpick is that his vocals during the verses could be turned up slightly, but that’s a minor quibble.

“I Will Be The End Of You” transitions right into the title track, “Tears On Tape”. TOT may well be my favorite track off the album. Gorgeous piano and acoustic guitar punctuate the track, alongside some of the finest bass playing on the album. The only thing missing is a guitar solo, but it doesn’t detract from the song at all. In addition to being the title track in name, “Tears On Tape” lyrically explains the theme of the entire album. It’s the bands’ tribute to all of the blood, sweat and tears put onto “tape” by the music that inspires them.  Ville always goes on about how the band is influenced by anything from Roy Orbison to Black Sabbath and Metallica and on this album it’s finally, plainly, evident.

“Into The Night” is the first Finnish single, and to be honest, I wasn’t a big fan at first. This is the poppiest track on the album, very similar in sound to something you’d hear off “Dark Light”. This track again is one that very obviously shows off the band’s influences whilst still displaying the usual bit of “Scandinavian melancholy” they are known for. “Into The Night” does feature my favorite portion of the album, from about 2:15 till about 2:45, which is some of the best music the band has ever done. “Into The Night” was a track I played to someone who had never heard HIM before…this was her introduction to the band and she was caught off guard. She expected something darker, harder and perhaps with screaming. She liked the track, and now listens to the band on her own. I initially dismissed this as the single, but have come to realize that the intent is to gain new listeners, not necessarily make the old timers happy, and “Into The Night” manages to do both.

The pop side of HIM gives way to some rough guitars in “Hearts At War”.  This is a song that would fit right in on “Venus Doom”, with doomy atmosphere, pianos and gloomy lyrics. What I like most about this song is how much it surprised me. It’s little things, but the song ventures into different places that aren’t out of place for HIM, but seem out of place for this song. It’s fantastic, and it’s one of my favorites on the album.  After the song is “Trapped In Autumn” a minute and half long instrumental, which is really just an atmospheric outro to “Hearts At War”. Taken as such, it’s fine, but don’t expect a full fledged HIM track.

“No Love” begins with Ville walking into the studio and yelling “Forever and ever!” before some rockin’ guitars kick in. It’s out of place on first listening, but once you get to the end of the song you’ll understand. “No Love” reminds me of “Soul On Fire” musically. It’s a fast rocker with Ville’s crooning vocals slathered on top. At 2 minutes in we go to a breakdown that features some electronic noises, tambourines and a very 90’s sounding segment. Of course, being HIM, things come back full steam as a drum beat takes us back into the chorus. I didn’t expect to like this one based on the 30 second preview I heard, but it’s very, very good. A solid track from HIM.

“Drawn & Quartered” however, is a different story.  This is the typical ballad. It’s very lovely sounding, but I just can’t get into it. I think this is mainly because this is a prog-inspired track that never really feels like it’s going anywhere. It’s more of an exercise for Ville to see how long of a song he can write that doesn’t repeat back on itself. It reminds me of “Sleepwalking Past Hope” lite, just not as good. I like the last minute and a half of the track, but I’m relatively bored until that point.

From here we descend into hell. “Lucifer’s Chorale” is another transitional instrumental that drops us straight from the heavenly sounds of “Drawn & Quartered” into the depths of hell, preparing us for “W.L.S.T.D.”.  It’s mostly noise, but like “Trapped In Autumn”, works well as a transition.

“W.L.S.T.D.” is another heavy track, and would fit right at home on either “Venus Doom” or “Love Metal”.  It’s a very polished “Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 666” track, and that’s not a bad thing. Heavy, slow, and deep vocals are the name of the game here.  I really enjoy the lyrics on this one, possibly moreso than anything else on the album. The simple verse of “When love starts to die, it begins with a kiss, violently soothing and warm. When love starts to die, so do I. “ gets me everytime. This song makes me want to rock out and cry at the same time. It’s the perfect example of HIM’s ying/yang approach.  “W.L.S.T.D.” would be the perfect album closer, but, there’s one more to go.

“Kiss The Void” is an instrumental outro to the entire album and it is amazing. This is a song that I would listen to on its own, unlike some of the other instrumentals on this album. I wish that Ville would have taken the melody from this and evolved it into a full track with vocals…maybe one day. “Kiss The Void” manages to sum up the whole album’s feeling into one track and, like most HIM albums, ends the album appropriately. 

So what do I think of “Tears On Tape”? It’s wonderful! HIM’s time away was a good thing for the music and being able to record the album first and then shop it around to labels was also a very good thing. This is really the first time that HIM has put out an album that truly sounds like what Ville Valo always says HIM albums sound like. Regardless of what my own thoughts on the album are, I will always hold it in high regard for that fact alone…Ville Valo finally made the album he wanted to make….and it’s fucking awesome. I would rank this highly among the other HIM albums and highly recommend it to the HIM faithful and newcomers alike.

Offline JulienVlad

« Reply #1437 on: April 12, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
Nice review! I like it!

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #1438 on: April 13, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »
Great review D, thanks for taking the time to write that.

Not that I didn't love the album from first listen but it keeps growing on me. I will say, D&Q is the only weak link. I'm already skipping over that one.

Something that I noticed and want other opinions; on the intro and I guess bridge of "I Will Be the End of You", does anyone else hear  extremely similar riff and tempo as "I Love You [White Hosue Vers]??

My other favorites are All Lips Go Blue (catchy as hell) and I Will Be The End Of You. If not for Ville's voice, I Will Be... could easily be mistaken for a Charon song.
Charon, I miss you  :'(
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #1439 on: April 13, 2013, 05:34:22 AM »

Charon, I miss you  :'(

Me too! And IWBTEOY made me miss them even more. It sounds so similar to Charon's The Cure! JP needs to re-unite Charon asap... or at least find himself a new band. Opening riff in Hearts At War sounds like something in-between Charon and Poisonblack too. A lot like Poisonblack on Of Rust And Bones actually.

IWBTEOY is probably the only song on Tears... I love from start to finish. No Love is a close 2nd at the moment.

Overall, I feel kinda like I'm not into modern-day Ville's vocals at all. Quite a few times throughout the album I find myself thinking "wow, this'd be kickass with a different vocalist".
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline Fearxforthebest

« Reply #1440 on: April 13, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
I have not, sorry. I haven't even had a chance to get on my computer since Monday. I just had a death in the family this week and it hasn't even crossed my mind. But i did promise I'll get it to you and i will, just bare with me a bit until this is all over with and i will get it to you.

Edit*
 It is just the audio though according to my list. I don't recall if you asked for audio or video.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 09:12:36 AM by Fearxforthebest »

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #1441 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »
I have not, sorry. I haven't even had a chance to get on my computer since Monday. I just had a death in the family this week and it hasn't even crossed my mind. But i did promise I'll get it to you and i will, just bare with me a bit until this is all over with and i will get it to you.
i feel so sorry for your lost buddy

Offline Nath

• Cafone
« Reply #1442 on: April 13, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
I need help...I would like to order Tears on Tape from here - newburycomics.com - HIM with Limited* Autographed CD Booklet! but for some reasons I can't get to the site :( Can anybody tell me are they still taking orders? Or what wrong with this site?

Offline Len777

« Reply #1443 on: April 13, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
I need help...I would like to order Tears on Tape from here - newburycomics.com - HIM with Limited* Autographed CD Booklet! but for some reasons I can't get to the site :( Can anybody tell me are they still taking orders? Or what wrong with this site?

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_viewupc.php?storenr=103&upc=103-1827684N

Just came up fine for me. Try this ^

Offline Nath

• Cafone
« Reply #1444 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
Thanks, but it is not working for me :( Are they blocking Russia or what?))) Do they ship worldwide? maybe I should not even try to...

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #1445 on: April 13, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Thanks, but it is not working for me :( Are they blocking Russia or what?))) Do they ship worldwide? maybe I should not even try to...
They only ship to some countries.

newburycomics.com ships international orders via DHL Global Mail to the following countries and territories - American Samoa, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Holland, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Offline Nath

• Cafone
« Reply #1446 on: April 13, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
Thank you. This is very very sad :( Мaybe someone will agree to send CD to me, I'll pay in advance...

Offline Heartagram dan

• ][=][--][--][V][-
  • Mobbed Up
  • She'll be right here in these arms!
« Reply #1447 on: April 13, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
HIM Norway on Twitter said that the TOT single is on spotify, and i'm here listening to the album for the 4th time haha!

Offline Jay

« Reply #1448 on: April 13, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
Thank you. This is very very sad :( Мaybe someone will agree to send CD to me, I'll pay in advance...

Let me know if you don't find a willing participant.  I ordered 2 and I'm not sure why.

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #1449 on: April 13, 2013, 10:28:57 PM »
Because you loooooove them.