Author Topic: Tears on Tape  (Read 424006 times)

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
Re: Tears on Tape
« Reply #1375 on: April 09, 2013, 12:00:17 AM »
I don't wanna go saying where I rank it yet, because back in 2005 I posted here saying how fucking great Dark Light was after I first heard it. I don't regret much, but I regret that. I'm gonna give it a few weeks to let the newness wear off and be more subjective.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline Jay

« Reply #1376 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »
Dark Light had some good tracks on it.  Behind the Crimson Door and Under the Rose are two of my favorites.

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #1377 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:26 AM »
My problem with Dark Light was that the low points were REALLY low. And the sound mixing was really muffled.

Offline Fearxforthebest

« Reply #1378 on: April 09, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »
Dark Light had some good tracks on it.  Behind the Crimson Door and Under the Rose are two of my favorites.

I second that Jay. Under the Rose  is one of my faves. And behind the crimson door , along with vampire heart and play dead, i enjoyed those. But anyway, love the production of this album. Can't wait to hear the vinyls...all five so far, lol

P.s. I wonder why this still has an October release when its the same one The End is releasin in May..its cheaper on Amazon but I don't want to wait 5 extra months Lol i thought they would.change the date by now http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009A9EX28?qid=1365013162&sr=8-3
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 01:04:46 AM by Fearxforthebest »

Offline estrella

« Reply #1379 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:41 AM »
I've listened to this more than a few times now and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed...

First of all those instrumentals, what the fuck? They don't bring anything to the album, just excess and random noise. I would have been cool with just the intro and outro but Trapped in Autumn and Lucifer's Chorale are just boring and cut the flow of the album.

I like the first part of the album (songs 1-7), or atleast it's ok, except TOT which is a bit lame. The second half is just not that interesting which is why I feel it's not that good of an album.

But what I really wonder is how short it is and how it's lyrically probably Ville's poorest effort. They were on a break for how long, two years? And we only got 9 new songs plus a few minutes of noises. One would assume that he had time to write a bit more songs and concentrate on the lyrics, but that's just me.

Just my two cents, seems that you guys like so I guess I just have give it some more time.  :)

Offline Heartagram dan

• ][=][--][--][V][-
  • Mobbed Up
  • She'll be right here in these arms!
« Reply #1380 on: April 09, 2013, 05:42:34 AM »
I've listened to this more than a few times now and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed...

First of all those instrumentals, what the fuck? They don't bring anything to the album, just excess and random noise. I would have been cool with just the intro and outro but Trapped in Autumn and Lucifer's Chorale are just boring and cut the flow of the album.

I like the first part of the album (songs 1-7), or atleast it's ok, except TOT which is a bit lame. The second half is just not that interesting which is why I feel it's not that good of an album.

But what I really wonder is how short it is and how it's lyrically probably Ville's poorest effort. They were on a break for how long, two years? And we only got 9 new songs plus a few minutes of noises. One would assume that he had time to write a bit more songs and concentrate on the lyrics, but that's just me.

Just my two cents, seems that you guys like so I guess I just have give it some more time.  :)

I think it's because the last 3 HIM albums have jumped a little bit, meaning that Venus Doom was dark and eerie, Screamworks was a completely new sound for HIM and now they've gone back down to their darker side. It's your opinion,fair enough,but maybe the album might grow on you the more you listen to it.

Offline Kichardo

« Reply #1381 on: April 09, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »

Sadly, I couldn't agree more. Most tracks are "ok". Decent enough attempt. Seems like the band AND Ville are just going through the motions. It's a far fucking cry from Love Metal. The lyrics seem convoluted and the subject matter really doesn't seem to change through the tracks very much. (Maybe the way it's presented, even?). The first time I heard "LIPS" I was really worried this album wouldn't really feature burton much. I was right. What a disappointment, and Linde, WHERE are the solos? Seriously. ugh.

I give it a 7/10.

It's not horrible to listen to, it has it's fun moments. I find myself singing along, and bobbing my head. But it's not the whole package I was expecting HIM to deliver after such a long hiatus. 

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #1382 on: April 09, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
And I'm the exact opposite. I feel that after being away for a while this is exactly the album they should be releasing. Do I miss Linde's solos all over the place? Sure, but they would feel out of place on some of these tracks. Am I a big fan of "Trapped in Autumn" and "Lucifers Chorale"? No, but I'm ok with them as outros to the previous tracks. When taken that way, they are absolutely fine....Ville said he really wanted 13 tracks, so I would suppose they broke these off on their own for that purpose.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #1383 on: April 09, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
to the solos - listen to the first album Greatest lovesong vol 666 and count the solos.... Listen to the Razorblade Romance without bonus live studio tracks (sigillum diaboli and The 9th Circle) and count the solos. + wicked game is not even a HIM song but only a Chris Isaac´s cover.  and now count the solos in ToT .....
I dont like the instrumental songs too, but Trapped in Autumn is nice ambient song and it is well placed in the tracklist of the album, Kiss the void is amazing outro. Lucifers Chorale is the only song that i really dont like at all.
of course we all have different feelings, but i think they really made some album that i love after many many years and there is no bad song on it that you can really tell that yeah this song sucks or can you?
and i dont know why but i can hear a lot of Deep Shadows and Razorblade Romance vibe in it, All Lips and WLSTD is more like Venus Doom, Drawn and Quartered is like Screamworks, but the other songs are pretty mixed and i hear and feel a lot of the old albums in it
for example - Hearts At War is like Razorblade Romance song, it reminds me Resurrection in the choruses but it reminds me Love Metal in verses (the funeral of hearts a little bit)
or Love Without Tears has Razorblade romance vibe + something from Deep Shadows
Into The Night is the only song that seems to be more "poppy" on the album, and i cant even imagine how Ville will sing it live  ;D

Offline indii

« Reply #1384 on: April 09, 2013, 09:29:15 AM »

Offline dan24591

« Reply #1385 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
I wish Linde had solos on nearly every track again. Love Metal had his best solos ever (especially This Fortress Of Tears). And I wish Burton had more keyboard hooks in the same vain as The Sacrament, Heartache Every Moment, Beyond Redemption etc.

Overall, I love this album. I just can't listen to Drawn & Quartered. Biggest throwaway track on the album for me, personally.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:20:51 PM by dan24591 »
15/10/2004 - 26/04/2013 - 27/10/2013

Offline Inferno

« Reply #1386 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »
I agree with whoever said these are Ville's weakest lyrics to date. And I also agree with Linde and Burton being underused.

I wish Linde had solos on nearly every track again. Love Metal had his best solos ever (especially This Fortress Of Tears). And I wish Burton had more keyboard hooks in the same vain as The Sacrament, Heartache Every Moment, Beyond Redemption etc.

Overall, I love this album. I just can't listen to Drawn & Quartered. Biggest throwaway track on the album for me.

To each his own, D&Q is my favorite track on the album and the lyrics are good in all the songs... They may lack is some quantity in comparison to other songs, but the quality is there in my opinion.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline Jay

« Reply #1387 on: April 09, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
We can at least be thankful that they haven't made a "Some Kind of Monster" documentary that requires them to get a therapist involved in the album making process.  :)

I really like Unleash the Red, but I wish it would have been fleshed out a bit more.  I love that riff when it really kicks in, and then it just stops.  Maybe it'll be a live jam of sorts on the tour.  The other instrumentals I could do without.

Offline Len777

« Reply #1388 on: April 09, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
We can at least be thankful that they haven't made a "Some Kind of Monster" documentary that requires them to get a therapist involved in the album making process.  :)

I really like Unleash the Red, but I wish it would have been fleshed out a bit more.  I love that riff when it really kicks in, and then it just stops.  Maybe it'll be a live jam of sorts on the tour.  The other instrumentals I could do without.

Agree they should have made that an instrumental song with a guitar solo and stuff would've been really cool. Ps I think I pissed that guy off over at empire/werrockstar they were complaining about not enough likes on Facebook sort of and I saidayve post a few teasers of the him site and you'll probably get a lot and he replies with this haha..I was trying to be helpful though.

Offline Jay

« Reply #1389 on: April 09, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
How dare you provoke them to promote the band on their official site.  The official release is still 16-22 days away.  They still have plenty of time to put the site up.  It's not like the thing has leaked already...oh....

Offline muschy

« Reply #1390 on: April 09, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »
My only problem with the album varies on a track to track basis.  The vocals/mixing is inconsistent and it throws off the whole album.  Drawn and Quartered is a mess of a song....  I do enjoy Into the Night, Love Without Tears, WLSTD, and Hearts at War though.....

The Intro is really the only cool (and needed) instrumental....

Still a good album though for sure....
I see a tulip on the grave of a lover who confessed, "I'm a soldier and a poet
But I'm a dancer at best."

Offline Heartagram dan

• ][=][--][--][V][-
  • Mobbed Up
  • She'll be right here in these arms!
« Reply #1391 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
I went to Brighton yesterday and i now have a new HIM belt buckle!  :) - http://www.rockworldeast.com/dimage/zoom/2042.jpg

Offline plagueis

« Reply #1392 on: April 09, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Drawn and Quartered is a bit more complex than what we're used to hearing from HIM, but I could love it based on the lyrics alone! I think someone posted earlier about the harmonising at 2:51 and 4:39, never heard that before to this extent on a HIM song! (Why won't you go on and ruuuuuuuuuun with them. Ruuuuuuuun awaaaaay :'()

Overall the song is probably something like what Screamworks would have sounded like if not for that big label involvement

Offline sweetsanna81

« Reply #1393 on: April 09, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »

Just these 2 songs are penultimate and last on my hitparade of album Dark Light.

Offline sweetsanna81

« Reply #1394 on: April 09, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
yeah i think they listen the leak all day long too.

LOL  ;D

Offline Florianhermanni

« Reply #1395 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
I enjoyed reading all reviews and want to give my five cents as well. probably I'm saying the same thing with every new realease...I don't think you do any good trying to compare and rank albums. it's again that golden HIM sound that I love and at the same time something new. In it's whole I really enjoy it from start to end...and that's how I like to see it - as a simple piece of art that the guys did this way by intention. That's why you as the listener will only lose if you have specific expectations such as a certain number of tracks, a certain overall duration, more solos, more poetic language and so on. By the way I don't think a lack of solos would leave Linde or Burton unfulfilled - I'd imagine they both enjoy that album a lot - and it's about the sound of the band not individual interests. Also I hear some of the most amazing riffs, keyboards and vocals in this album that HIM ever did. :) Hope that those who might be a little disappointed or were expecting something different get more into it with a couple more listenings.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:41:47 PM by Florianhermanni »
Just moved to the States - Indianapolis is my new home:
anyone else here from Indy? Contact me!
https://www.facebook.com/flo.bo.98

Offline marta30

« Reply #1396 on: April 09, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
I enjoyed reading all reviews and want to give my five cents as well. probably I'm saying the same thing with every new realease...I don't think you do any good trying to compare and rank albums. it's again that golden HIM sound that I love and at the same time something new. In it's whole I really enjoy it from start to end...and that's how I like to see it - as a simple piece of art that the guys did this way by intention. That's why you as the listener will only lose if you have specific expectations such as a certain number of tracks, a certain overall duration, more solos, more poetic language and so on. By the way I don't think a lack of solos would leave Linde or Burton unfulfilled - I'd imagine they both enjoy that album a lot - and it's about the sound of the band not individual interests. Also I hear some of the most amazing riffs, keyboards and vocals in this album that HIM ever did. :) Hope that might be a little disappointed or were expecting something different get more into it with a couple more listenings.

Very well put.

Offline sweetsanna81

« Reply #1397 on: April 09, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
My favorites are W.L.S.T.D. (I just love Villes deep voice) , then Love Without Tears (love at first hearing) and No Love (mainly part when Ville sings: We're the stars...). But I like other songs, too. Maybe one exception: Lucifer’s Chorale (it tears my ears).

Offline Fearxforthebest

« Reply #1398 on: April 10, 2013, 01:33:31 AM »
Remember, Venus Doom was only 9 songs. Granted, sleepwalking was an epic long song but on the other hand song our suicide was extremely short. I too would've been okay with an intro and Outro and two more songs. But I do like the album overall and look forward to the tour.

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #1399 on: April 10, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
I can't believe I am 2 days behind the ball on this one.
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666