Author Topic: HIM Parts Ways With Warner!  (Read 5610 times)

Offline Jay

HIM Parts Ways With Warner!
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Just read on their official Twitter, and it's on Heartgram.  

I'm sure this makes some happy, as sometimes it felt like Warner really "watered down" the product, but in my opinion, the band did that a lot themselves and Hot Topic.  

Guess we'll see where this goes...

What do you guys think?

From Heartagram:

"After 6 years and three albums, Finnish rock band HIM and Sire/Warner Music have decided to part ways.

Seymour Stein, founder of Sire Records says: "It was a pleasure working with HIM, and we're very proud to have been their partners for the last six years. Ville is a rare talent, and my relationship with their manager Seppo dates back to the days when he pioneered rock music in Finland looking after the career of Hanoi Rocks. HIM are particularly important because they are the first and only band from Finland to reach Gold status in America. I, along with the entire Sire/Warner Bros. family, wish them continued success in the future."

HIM's discography on Sire includes the 2005 album Dark Light, which reached gold in the US. Follow-up albums Venus Doom (2007) and Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice (2010) charted both in the US and Europe.

"We're ever so grateful for having had Seymour and Co as the generous hosts on our extended first stay in the New Country. It's been a Blast Royale but now it's time to clean up the rubble and start anew", comments Ville Valo of HIM.

The webstore at heartagram.com continues as usual."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:51:46 PM by Jay »

Offline six6sixways2love

Re: HIM Parts Ways With Warner!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »
that explains the shitty remix cd. The band clearly needed to get out of contract, so since they were probably obligated to release ___ albums with Warner, that was the one to fulfill that.

I give Warner a 50%
DL=half okay
VD=awesome
DVD=awesome and long overdue
SW=good
remix=epic fail
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:39:28 PM by six6sixways2love »
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Jay

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
Haha, yeah, the remix CD was terrible.  I didn't even buy it, and I've bought all the albums like most everyone else here just out of loyalty.  I liked the albums that were put out on Warner, with Venus Doom being the best one of the three.

I did like that they had promotion cash to spare, but hated that they went with stupid "gatekeeper" cryptic shit that never seemed to end...I don't even know who won in the end, or what the prize was anymore. 

I remember the "BE HIM's TOP FRIEND ON MYSPACE!!" contest.

The street team stuff lost it's grassroots feel, which was to be expected.  When they hit that major label, it seemed to have put a lot of go-betweens between the fans and the band. 

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »
Same here Jay. I buy all their cds. Unless there was a special US only edition, I still spend the extra money to buy imports. I just feel better knowing my cd says 'MADE IN EU'. But the remix was a bigggg pass altogether.

I knew alot of the street team out here in Los Angeles (headed by Marci). Most of those people, Marci included, are MIA. I got the vibe that alot of people teamers were just "glorified groupies" in a sense. They pretended to really love the band and came across as die hard fans, but after a while HIM became too cool or uncool, and they all just moved on.

Offline Jay

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
I got the vibe that alot of people teamers were just "glorified groupies" in a sense. They pretended to really love the band and came across as die hard fans, but after a while HIM became too cool or uncool, and they all just moved on.

Couldn't have said it better, my man.  I agree 100%.  They all did it for "access" to the band.  At least JimmyFranks did it out of love, or so it appeared.  :)

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
I can think of a few people specifically that were just groupies in disguise. Because you would always see pictures of them band stage with bands (usually no one that cool).

It was for access to the band and free sh!t

Offline Len777

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »
Thank God! I Hope they sign to an indie label and go record a new album some where deep in the woods of Finnish Lapland. :)

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:52:54 AM »
+ put Hiili back in the booth! Triple H is unstoppable (HIM,Helsinki,Hiili)

Offline Jay

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
+ put Hiili back in the booth! Triple H is unstoppable (HIM,Helsinki,Hiili)

Haha, yes! 

Though in someways, I liked that HIM was getting to branch out and not keep remaking Razorblade Romance or 666 Ways to Love over and over again, I would love for them to make another Love Metal, haha.

I just know that they are better than a Motorhead or AC/DC type band whose formula remains unchanged throughout their career and makes their songs indifferent from one another.

Offline zgyc2011

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »

Personally I am happy ! now.  ;) I hope now HIM sign with a better label which can take them around the world, especially LatinAmerica like great Finland Bands made it.

Offline Jay

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
Yeah man, I hope so too.  Where are you from?

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »
This is really cool news. I'm excited to here what's in store for the band. Let's hope we hear news soon!

PS. SWRMXS wasn't too bad. It's grown on me, but I very rarely listen to it.

Offline heartagram_616

• I'm reaching for your shadow Drowning in the Kiss Of Dawn
  • Mobbed Up
  • Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
i didnt listen to SWRMXS at all till a few days ago and i dont like it at all lol anyways enough about that

i would love them to go back to the VD era and well go more in that direction as i loved that album dont get me wrong enjoyed SW and the music, lyrics and the whole album was a good experience to listen to it

but there was something about VD maybe because of the doom influence, whatever they choose i will go and support them  ;D

Offline Politex

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »
I hope now they finally come to Brazil,

and see some kind of advertisement... never saw anything of HIM here, from warner.
i'm from Brazil , my english isn't perfect~ ;)

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:31:54 PM »
A fresh start with a new label will be a good thing.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline RaKoHaMMaS

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
Finally. We need them back in Europe. Last time in Portugal was 5 years ago.

I've been apart from HIM news for the last months but this decision has made my day.

;D

Offline S. Carnage Esq.

• An Oil Man
  • Mobbed Up
  • Groovy
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:32 AM »
Hopefully the band will make their way back to Finland and start recording in retrofitted barns again. As soon as they came to America the sound became a little too polished, and even with Venus Doom, they've never had that great grit that was there for the Big 4.

I'm all for giving Triple H another shot at the title. This John Cena-type shit just wasn't cutting it.

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I think they have needed it, a new label could give them better promotion for their albums.  I think Sire/Warner were very slack on VD and Screamworks.

Offline zgyc2011

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 12:53:28 PM »
Yeah man, I hope so too.  Where are you from?

;D if you mean to me, I am from Bolivia. ohh as I said in other topic hope they come to America, in our country fans are waiting for them. Everyday is growing our community, meetings to talk about the band, etc.  ;)

for the momment we have Epica, Lacrimosa, Tarja and others. .. ohh this JUN we will have Lacrimas Profundere ohh yea!!!

Offline BABL

• This is how it ends, Not with a Whimper but with a Bang
  • Mobbed Up
  • ~To Dance Fornicate And Murder~
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »
its no biggy really, they will find another label or will just carry there music them selfs, they are a talented band and will find a new home.

Offline Danny

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 12:51:25 PM »
"The actual plan was to play some Daniel Lioneye gigs in Europe as well but now the break is over with HIM and we have to concentrate on new stuff."

New interview with Linde http://suiciderock.com/BANDS/Daniel%20Lioneye%202011.html

Offline Thanatos

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 02:19:21 PM »
great news cause one more year with them and maybe Him will release a cover albums with justin bieber and lady gargamel covers .

i hope him sign with a not poplular records companyto no be forced to release a remix album anymore ...

Offline JulienVlad

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 02:22:18 PM »
What consequences will this?

Offline Jay

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
I think that HIM is not gonna go back to the old HIM we love...this new "let's try to please everyone" mode of thought is going to stay. 

I hope they prove me wrong and make me eat my words... :)

Offline Len777

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
I think that HIM is not gonna go back to the old HIM we love...this new "let's try to please everyone" mode of thought is going to stay. 

I hope they prove me wrong and make me eat my words... :)
Me too, I hope they rub your face all in it too haha "listen to our new album jay it sounds just like deep shadows and brilliant highlights a couple tracks sound like love metal too we don't give a shit!!!" that would be a really good day even though id feel bad cause you got reemed out lol i miss 2001-2003 man that would be a great revisiting.