Author Topic: Books You've Read Lately. .  (Read 29827 times)

Offline Kattatonia

Re: Books You've Read Lately. .
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2012, 03:29:13 AM »
Just finished up The Sticks By Andy Deane....Not too bad, A quick Read.

Offline shirmila

« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »
I finished not so long ago The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas. The overall concept is very good and a majority of the story is incredibly good, but I found myself at times struggling to work out what was going on and who did what and some of the dialogue and descriptions were just a bit to drawn out. Not bad but a  bit too sophisticated for me.

Offline Errin

• Soul on Fire
  • Made Man
  • our heaven's worth the waiting
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2012, 07:11:30 AM »
Eventually finished Stephen King's "The Stand" after two years of dithering about and reading other things. It was life changing.

I finally read the LotR trilogy in January and I wish I had done it years ago, it was one of the most beautiful, awesome things I've ever read.

Working on Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire" (followed by "The Vampire Lestat" and "Queen of the Damned") now and then should be going on to Bram Stoker's "Dracula",  Robert Louis Stevenson's "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" and Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein".

My heart's a graveyard baby...

Offline shirmila

« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2012, 04:05:00 AM »
For the last couple of weeks off and on I have been reading James Pattersons 1st to Die, and yesterday I finally gave up on this. The chapters flick back and forwards in the story and it really makes the book feel disjointed and hard to follow. Not sure what type of effect the author was going for with this other than pissing the reader off. This book is from the very successful Womens Murder Club series and it does have some good characters in there. But it's just too damn hard to get into. Stephen King doesn't rate this guy and neither do I.

This will be the first and last JP book I will read and it's not for me.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #179 on: October 20, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
Just finished Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis , really strong autobiography and great views to the backround of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Anthony´s drug habbit.
If someone loves to read books from and about music bands and singers and so on, you should read this. It is only to 2003 or 2004 but anyway it is great source of informations about Anthony Kiedis and RHCP as well.

now i am going to read Poison Heart : Surviving The Ramones by Dee Dee Ramone. 

Offline Jay

« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »
Moved from the former Literature Board.

Offline crowley

« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
Recently finished "11/22/63" by Stephen King.

The emotional buildup and story progression sat well with me, I enjoyed every chapter and every mental picture it painted.

During the middle of the book I lost any care I had for the "big picture" (preventing the assassination of JFK) and cared more about what was going on with the "small picture" (all the little things revolving around it, ei. character relationships). 

By the end of the book I felt a bit drained (it stayed in my mind for a while), to what extent I usually realize depending on how easily I can pick up another book after finishing one; with this one, after finishing it, I couldn't bring myself to pick up another book for awhile, at least not one that was emotionally and mentally investing. So in that sense it had a lot of life to it.

Really enjoyed it.

Offline crowley

« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
Just started reading "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King.

Also been reading through the "Harry Potter" and "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books.

Offline crowley

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2013, 04:50:08 AM »
"The Satanic Rituals" - Anton Szandor LaVey

Offline crowley

« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2013, 03:20:38 AM »
Finished reading "The Devil's Notebook" and "Satan Speaks!" by Anton LaVey. In my opinion these are LaVey's best works; far more enjoyable that the Satanic Bible and the Satanic Rituals.

Offline Steel

« Reply #185 on: July 02, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
I got talked (although it took a long time) into reading 50 Shades. It was actually a pretty good series.

Offline Inferno

« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
My friend wrote a book called "I, Minion". I highly recommend you guys check it out.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline knitbit

« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »
I just finished 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' by Neil Gaiman. His latest novel for adults, and I highly recommend it. It's a quick read but very engaging.

Offline Jay

« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
I wish I liked to read...I'd like to read the Game of Thrones series.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »
just started to read this book http://www.mysteriousreviews.com/mystery-book-reviews/helgason-hitmans-guide.html#.UeEN0kHWNkI i am just in the middle of it and it is really good one - funny and not boring so it was a good random choice when i bought it

Offline Heartagram dan

• ][=][--][--][V][-
  • Mobbed Up
  • She'll be right here in these arms!
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2013, 06:02:29 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Your-ABC-Wallchart-WALLCHART/dp/1848170807/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373709861&sr=1-3&keywords=learn+your+abc+book
 - This book is perhaps the best book I've ever read, every page had me on the edge and I just couldn't put the book down until I had finished reading. A pure classic.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:04:50 AM by Heartagram dan »

Offline crowley

« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
I recently finished reading Jeffery Burton Russell's "The Devil: Perceptions of Evil from Antiquity to Primitive Christianity" and "Satan: The Early Christian Tradition" and will soon be continuing the next three books in the series. I think its safe to say that so far, this is possibly my favorite non-fiction book series. Highly recommended if you are heavily interested in the concept of "the devil/evil" and want a historical/anthropological, well rounded academic analysis on these overall concepts.

I've taken a break from this series and recently picked up "Satan Wants You: The Cult of Devil Worship in America", a much lighter read, of which I am about half way through. This is another I would recommend if you are casually interested topics such as The Church of Satan and the satanic ritual abuse "panic" of the 80's and 90's.

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2014, 05:25:11 AM »
The last thing I read is Jack London's Tales of the North. A collection that includes White Fang, The Sea-Wolf, The Call of the Wild, Cruise of the Dazzler and 15 short stories. (I skipped some and read some when it came to the short stories.) For anyone who intends to read these I definitely recommend reading The Call of the Wild before White Fang. The Call of the Wild is good but if you read White Fang first you end up kind of blinded to how good it really is because White Fang is slightly more amazing in my opinion.

DSC5LU

« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2014, 02:36:22 AM »
Just finished Keith Richards' autobiography. It was a pretty interesting read, even though I don't much care for The Rolling Stones. (Blasphemy, I know)

Anyone have any biographies/autobiographies to recommend?

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »

Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue
Dee Dee Ramone - Surviving the Ramones

Offline KissTheVoid

« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2014, 04:23:34 AM »
What kind of library has no Shakespeare, Lovecraft, and no copies of Moby Dick!? A f**king sad one that's what. Dang library is full of nothing but teeny bopper books. Have to go to the next city over.

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
Is Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue good?

DSC5LU

« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
Is Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue good?

I actually read that one a while back. It's pretty good. Sort of the same vibe as Slash's autobiography. Lots of drugs. LOTS of drugs.

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
    • HIM live DVDs list
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:52 AM »
yeah its all about drugs  ;D

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather