Author Topic: Screamworks Reactions  (Read 14076 times)

Offline muschy

Re: Screamworks Reactions
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 11:36:49 AM »
I actually just bought the double album at a record store today.... Baudelaire in Braille is really cool.... its rough acoustic recordings, also the lyrics came in the book, so I could make amends to those in their threads
I see a tulip on the grave of a lover who confessed, "I'm a soldier and a poet
But I'm a dancer at best."

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:38 AM »
i'm hoping one of those 2 left is like a bonus demo greatest hits thingy or some unlreleased stuff from sire that would be cool.

That would be sooo great. We've all heard how fantastic Kiss of Dawn demo was, would be cool to get few more demos. Especially from DL and Screamworks - I'm curious, how it was before Palmer and Squire did their... umm... "job" :P
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline HIM fanatic girl

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
I actually just bought the double album at a record store today.... Baudelaire in Braille is really cool.... its rough acoustic recordings, also the lyrics came in the book, so I could make amends to those in their threads
Budelaire in braille include the same songs of the Screamworks album but all of them in acoustic, doesn't it?
Are  the same lyrics too or do they change  in some parts or something?
I miss HIM !!

Offline PhiLiz

• Picciotto
  • Make A Change... Kill Yourself
    • PhiLiz Space
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
'Screamworks...' might be my least favourite HIM album, but at first sight 'Baudelaire In Braille' is quite good.

Offline stigmata92

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
Budelaire in braille include the same songs of the Screamworks album but all of them in acoustic, doesn't it?
Are  the same lyrics too or do they change  in some parts or something?

I'm pretty sure Katherine Wheel has diff lyrics.

Offline S. Carnage Esq.

• An Oil Man
  • Mobbed Up
  • Groovy
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
Well I have to say that I am constantly listening to this thing, and I think it's better than Dark Light and Venus Doom. To me, it sounds like what they had been shooting for when they first broke into the US, only two albums later. There are a few songs that I'm still not sure about, Scared To Death for instance. Before the chorus in that song there is some weird kind of 1990's US grunge/pop guitar chord that is very strange for HIM.

Overall Screamworks is much better than what I thought it would be. I still consider the band to have kind of ended with And Love Said No, and now a new version is in their place, but this is easily the best effort of the new HIM.

Offline felipe_kiss

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
great album!
i think the album has a natural sequence of songs, making it sound great!
but Katherine Wheel, Dying Song, Ode to Solitude(great guitar Riff from Linde!) and In the arms of rain are my favorites!

HIM still rocks!

Offline JulienVlad

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
This album is awesome, all song are great, have a great feeling, my fav songs: Love, The Hardest Way, Ode To Solitude, In The Arms Of Rain, Like St. Valentine

Offline milkmaid360

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »
I love ACOUSTIC FUNERAL!!!
MILKMAID360

Offline Len777

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
i love how on the cd it gives you the beats per minute and the key of every song don't be surprised if they end up having a cover contest again. im gonna work on a few now before hand so if they do im ready lol

Offline Jay

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
Well they have a karaoke contest going on now...

Offline HIM fanatic girl

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
I love ACOUSTIC FUNERAL!!!
I love specially the part when Valo sings: underneath the ice so thin..
I miss HIM !!

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2010, 07:41:23 PM »
My biggest question with Screamworks is; did HIM suddenly become a one man band? I just got my pre-order in the mail today. The insert has only one picture of Ville and that's it. And nowhere does it say HIM is......Ville, Linde, Mige, Gas, & Burton 
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Morningrise

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »
While I'm well aware HIM is a band, Ville does write everything, so I imagine how HIM is presented is entirely up to him. No pun.

Offline six6sixways2love

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2010, 02:54:28 AM »
Has anyone noticed that on Itunes america it categorizes Screamworks under both rock and j-pop?

I know their sound changed. but i didn't know it was that drastic lol
"Drink a lot of whisky and shake my butt to some love metal" -Rasta666

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
Ok, so I listened to it quite a few times - some songs grew on me, some I dislike even more. I still can't stand Scared to Death and Disarm Me...

Of course my favorites are Like Saint Valentine and Shatter Me With Hope, but I really like Katherine Wheel too. It reminds me of "Christina Bleeds" by Charon a lot. You hear the lyrics "baby, these are the things you make me do" and "please don't stop until my heart no longer screams" you're like "meh, another love-song", but when you'll find out what exactly the "Katherine wheel" is, it gives the lyrics completely new dimension.

I also like In Venere Veritas more. It's a song that would fit perfectly on Dark Light, but there's something really cool about it. It's pretty powerful too, maybe not as rocking as Like St. Valentine, but still good. Real shame that the verse is stripped out of guitar, Linde would make this song better :D

The rest of Screamworks is pretty average. Some songs (In The Arms of Rain, Dying Song) would go completely unnoticed if placed on any other HIM album, nothing special about them. Other (Ode to Solitude, Acoustic Funeral) seem like they lack something, and with better producer would be amazing. Maybe someone should tell Ville, that those high vocals in OtS chorus aren't cool :P
Oh, and the album would be a lot better without the synth stuff. Some of the electronic sounds seem totally out of place. It looks like in studio they had the songs done, and then Squire was like "ok, let's throw in some electro-stuff, just for the sake of it"...

The Baudelaire in Braille disc isn't something amazing, but as a Special Edition bonus, it's great thing. Especially considering that last time the super-cool-exclusive-bonus-tracks were two shitty remixes.
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline HIM fanatic girl

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2010, 02:31:18 PM »
I love the Ode to Solitude introduction.
It's rocks.
I miss HIM !!

Offline Jay

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »
Has anybody gotten word from Warner, or received their package if ordered from Heartagram?

Edit: Nevermind, I have it in my hot little hands now.... :)

A 320 rip will go to my iPod, and the CD will be put away...lol, I'm so ghey.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:59:42 PM by Jay »

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm 320 ripping both CD's now. I went out and bought a copy thinking I wouldn't get it today. Had to have it. Now I have the regular and 2 CD edition.

Offline Steel

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »
Has anyone noticed that on Itunes america it categorizes Screamworks under both rock and j-pop?

I know their sound changed. but i didn't know it was that drastic lol

Jpop like Japanese Pop? Thats weird. Honestly, with the exception of about 5 tracks, I haven't liked much of anything new since Love Metal and before, but I really like Screamworks. Its catchy and Ville's trying out some different stuff with his voice and it works

Offline Jack Sparrow

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
Well, its funny how everybody has different views of this new album,  but as they say, as tastes vary like colors if everyone had the same taste this surely would be a very sad and boring world.

Well, let's see:
I would not like to say that SW its better than Venus Doom,  more likely an evolution.  In VD they were trying to be something that they are not,  they screwed a lot of songs but probably that album was necessary to achieve the sound in SW, you know "sometimes you gotta take a nasty shit before taking a good shit".

How would I describe this album?  beautiful yet annoying in certain aspects but impresively addictive.

My fav songs so far:  In Venere Veritas, Scared To Death and Ode To Solitude.

In Venere Veritas has this great punch to it.
Scared to Death has a very very 80's melodic feel into it.
Ode to Solitude loved the metal riffing that Linde added and the chorus its amazing.

Just a couple of songs I get to press the skip button - Acoustic Funeral and Katherine Wheel.   

This is just my opinion but the annoying parts come from mr. Valo himself.  The lyrics have too many biblical references, did he started reading the bible at last?.    The last part of the chorus in Dying Song.. annoying, that ruined the song for me.  The excessive and completely unnecessary screaming in some parts of the song.  Oh well, hence the Screamworks title.

The best part of the albums sound comes from Burton, I like the more synth driven arrangements that the missplaced guitar riffs found in all the VD album.
Linde had the major improvement musically but I totally dislike the abuse of the Wah pedal in the faster solos.

At the end, today I love the album, its the total contraire of VD,  in VD just 2 or 3 songs are the ones that are not skipped and in this one 2 songs are the losers XD.
Even though that HIM new album its more "acquired taste" and its very far to be the classic HIM, I love the songs and I'm looking forward to travel to the states in May to see em live in Orlando.

Cheers!
<<>So Before Life Tears Us Apart Let Death Bless Me With You<>>

TFAFU

Your favourite songs in Love In Theory And Practice?
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
On wednesday when I bought the album, I absolutely fell in love with the album. I'm sure this happened to you too? ;)
I admit that I had little doubts about this album. I've been a HIM fan since the first album and when I heard Heartkiller I was little bit dissapointed. I waited more and the HIM sound was gone. The finnish melancholic and dark heavy rock sound, the sound that makes HIM different wasn't there anymore. But when I got the album and I've been listening to it all the time, I fell in love. Yes it's different and very pop album, but it's genious. There's no bad song in the album, but if I had to say my favourites I would say:

In Venere Veritas
Scared To Death
Dying Song
Disarm me  (With Your Loneliness)
Ode To Solitude
Acoustic Funeral (For Love In Limbo)
The Forbidden Sense Of Impending Happiness

Your favourites?

Offline Jay

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
I merged the topics since there was already a "favorites" sort of thread...

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »
The main riff of "Ode To Solitude" is one of the best on a HIM record.

Offline Jay

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
The main riff of "Ode To Solitude" is one of the best on a HIM record.

It's just kicking ass out of the gate....I love it.