Author Topic: Screamworks: Love In Theory and Practice  (Read 174004 times)

Offline 616

• laza616
  • The Godfather
  • Made Man
  • HIM bootleg-whore from Slovakia
    • HIM live DVDs list

Offline navimo

Re: Screamworks: Love In Theory and Practice
« Reply #651 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:52 AM »
I have a surprise.

...in your pants?

Ouh my god! :D
If i could give karma+ you would get it :D

Offline Jay

« Reply #652 on: January 29, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
You get to add karma at 50 posts...almost there :)

Offline navimo

« Reply #653 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:05 AM »
You get to add karma at 50 posts...almost there :)
At 50?
Oh yes...I remember I read it. :)

Thank you. :)

Offline Inferno

« Reply #654 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
Venere Veritas - "Lets fall apart together now" is the sultry introduction to this slick and club friendly track. There's an odd almost monk-chanting in the middle, but this is perhaps the poppiest track on the album.

Scared to death - It?s a very poppy second track. By that we mean that it?s tailor-made for the radio. It?s played at a similar pace to Funeral Of Hearts but doesn?t have the same moody overtones. The lead hook evolves around the lyrics ?I?m not afraid to say I love you?.

Dying Song - Its got the sound of a single. Off-kilter drums build to a massive, epic chorus where Ville croons that he's shedding skin to a dying soul. There's also a heavy Slash-influence solo on display.

Disarm Me - Opening with acoustic guitars, this track is a sweeping ballad that sounds like it could be the Gothic soundtrack to a Hollywood blockbuster. Twilightcore? Hmmm, possibly not, but it's somewhere in that ball-park.

Love the hardest way - The sound of a band rediscovering their strongest areas of expertise. Unmistakably HIM, its fuel-injected and recapturing the anthemic sounds of the Love Metal era.

Katherine Wheel - Atmospheric verses give way to one of the finest choruses on the album.

In the arms of rain - Once again, a bizarre keyboard intro that sounds like it could be lifted directly from the 80's video game Pong. The song itself sounds like Killing Loneliness on steroids. Massive vocal riffs all around this track.

Ode to solitude - eerie industrial drums lead into a beast of a riff. It sounds like 80's hair metal with a punk chug and all wrapped up in HIM's inimitable style. the chorus has an insanely catchy hook that evolves around the lyric "here's to pain". A stormy, up-tempo start to the album.

Acoustic funeral - Keyboards that sound as if they could come from a music box usher in a massively dramatic track that builds around swinging, ringing power chords. Not a full-on ballad, but certainly one of the more tender moments on the album.

The foreboding sense of impending happiness - And now for something completely different. 80's fat bass sound that sounds as though it's been lifted from a horror movie from the same era. Gentle electronic drums play on this ambient ode that sounds like DJ Shadows interpretation of HIM. Its still distinctively HIM because of Ville's unique vocal tones, but it's done in a electronic/restrained way. One of the best tracks on the album, but this will definitely ruffle a few feathers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:14:45 PM by Inferno »
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline Weemo

• Mobbed Up
  • Um, Where In God's Name is Weemo?
« Reply #655 on: January 29, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »
Is that the Metal Hammer review?

Offline Inferno

« Reply #656 on: January 29, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
Yes
[/

Offline Len777

« Reply #657 on: January 29, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
not that it matters but you're missing scared to death in there lol

Offline Inferno

« Reply #658 on: January 29, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
not that it matters but you're missing scared to death in there lol

edited
[/

Offline Len777

« Reply #659 on: January 29, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/HIMNorway#p/u/4/Qi4-z6bn-nY

ville talking about almost all of the different clips the intros and such like love the hardest way interview

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
  • I love my Sacrament sweethearts! :-)
« Reply #660 on: January 29, 2010, 02:20:26 PM »
My surprise was of course, a fake. False torrent. Some guy said he had it then sent me the hash.

Sorry for the false hope.

Offline AnDi86

« Reply #661 on: January 29, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
sad times  >:(

I downloaded one of those fake torrents too! Your filled with excitement then all of a sudden sadness.

Offline Weemo

• Mobbed Up
« Reply #662 on: January 29, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »

Sorry for the false hope.
Shatter me with false hope

Offline Inferno

« Reply #663 on: January 29, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »
I've heard fans voice concerns that it's to 'poppy' and I can see why they might say that.  Yes there are some pop undertones in some of the songs but trust me, it works.  On top of that there is a very 80's feel to the album as they make plenty of use of synths throughout the songs but HIM have always been a bit cheesy.  Valo knows it's not healthy to take yourself too seriously and that's clearly seen in parts of this album.  But have no fear HIMlings, the wicked imagery, melancholy, play with words, killer riffs, growls and sighs and screams that hooked you on these guys from Finland are all still very much present.  If I had to compare it to one of their previous albums I'd probably say a mix of Love Metal and Razorblade Romance.  Plenty to make the long time fans happy and just a little bit more to bring in the new fans as well.

In Venere Veritas: A nice way to start off the album I think.  Definitely get a poppy vibe off this one but the chorus is very catchy and the lyrics have some very nice imagery.  There's a hopeful feeling to this song that is a nice change from the previous album.

Scared To Death:  Very 80's intro on this one and kind of heavy on the synth.  Nice chorus though and you just want to pat Valo on the shoulder and let him know that it's ok to fall in love.  I've seen clips of this one live from Helldone and would really like to see it live myself.  It's good but not outstanding.

Heartkiller:  First single off the album and I can see why they picked it though I think there's a better option on the album.  Upbeat, catchy, a bit of pop, but with the over the top lyrics HIM is known for.

Dying Song: This one reminds me of something off Love Metal.  Very pretty song and Linde has some fantastic guitars in it.

Disarm Me (With Your Loneliness):  This is simply a beautiful song.  One of the few on the album I'd consider close to a ballad this one has lovely lyrics, strong imagery, and makes you want to raise your lighters and sway to the chorus.  By far one of my favorites on the album.

Love The Hardest Way:  And back to a good rock song again.  Linde does some nice guitar work on this one and the chorus will have you singing along.  And of course Valo gets his scream on.  I can see why they did this one live at Helldone as well.

Katherine Wheel:  This one took me a few listens.  The first time my reaction was ' eh.  It didn't stand out to me and probably would have been one I skipped over.  It's growing on me though and that could be that any song with the lyric 'Holding hands won't be enough in a world giving head to God' deserves at least a few more chances.

In the Arms of Rain:  Intro to this one made me giggle and have an 80's flashback.  Lots of Catholic imagery here with Ave Maria, Hail Mary, and references to Eve and the forbidden fruit.  Heavy on the synth and I find myself liking this one but not entirely sure why.

Ode to Solitude:  Interesting intro that suddenly kicks your ass when Linde comes in with his guitar.  You'll be singing along to this chorus for sure.  Then there's the bit where the music gets soft and Valo drops his voice a bit and then suddenly down into that growl that sends the girls melting into the floor.  Yeah ' this is a good one.

Shatter Me With Hope: Go Linde!  That man can play the guitar let me tell ya.  Probably the song that most HIM fans will think sounds like the HIM they know and love.  Definitely one to crank up the volume on.

Acoustic Funeral (For Love In Limbo): Another ballad type this one has some lyrics that make me smile.  I can see the crowd swaying to this one if it's ever done live.  Once again Linde has a great solo but it's sadly a bit short.  Wish it had been longer.

Like Saint Valentine:  So far I think this might be my favorite on the album.  Maybe.  It just plain kicks ass and is the one I think should have been the first single.  The screams, the guitars, the drums, it all works and really seems like HIM from albums past.

The Forboding Sense of Impending Happiness:  Completely different from anything on the rest of the album this song is seriously trippy, very 80's with lots of synth, and trance like.  I feel like I should be laying in a field staring up at the stars while this plays.  I'll be interested to hear this one as an acoustic.

Source: http://www.euro-rockradio.com/archives/360
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:39:28 PM by Inferno »
[/

Offline stigmata92

« Reply #664 on: January 29, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »
I'll be looking around this weekend for the leak. I'm almost positive it'll leak soon.

Offline AnDi86

« Reply #665 on: January 29, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
I'm actually really surprised it hasn't yet!  :o

Offline HIM fanatic girl

« Reply #666 on: January 29, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
My favourite snippets are: Dying song, Love's the hardest way and Katherine wheel.
I think those 3 tracks are gonna be fine.
I love the lyrics of Katherine wheel: I think he?s telling me those lyrics, lol
I miss HIM !!

Offline Inferno

« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »
My favourite snippets are: Dying song, Love's the hardest way and Katherine wheel.
lol, is your name katherine?
[/

Offline Politex

« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2010, 10:16:42 PM »

lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:18:37 PM by Politex »
i'm from Brazil , my english isn't perfect~ ;)

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Reply #669 on: January 29, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »

lol

lol

Offline stigmata92

« Reply #670 on: January 29, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »

lol

lol

lol

Offline vuK4vAlo

« Reply #671 on: January 29, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »

lol

lol

lol

lol
 Are we trying to break some kind of record here?

Offline Weemo

• Mobbed Up
« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Offline Politex

« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »
i'm from Brazil , my english isn't perfect~ ;)

Offline vuK4vAlo

« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2010, 11:10:17 PM »
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Idk what that means.