Author Topic: down the drain  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Razorblade kiss

• Cafone
  • shut your fucking face uncle fucker!
down the drain
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »
The band to hear

http://www.freewebs.com/syndromemusic

Offline 0321

Re: down the drain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:22:28 AM »
Because VD and DL are their recent CD's which means more people will be buying them which means they will put the price low so people can get them cheap and get into the band.

Offline Razorblade kiss

• Cafone
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 05:38:41 AM »
not new enough and too cheap to be because of that, its more like because no ones buying them and they have too much stock.
The band to hear

Offline 0321

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:02:29 AM »
Because they obviously made another CD after VD making VD and DL ancient pieces of history to be "not new enough."

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »
Yeah, um, they're making these double CD sets for lots of artists. Hell, we have a Tim Mcgraw one at work. Would you say that he's going down the drain too? All these are, are low cost to manufacture CD packages designed to entice buyers to explore back catalogs of artists they may have otherwise skipped. The most expensive portion of a CD is the package, so the record labels are making money hand over foot with these.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
I have to say in the long, long time I have followed the band, this is the most dead, quiet and uneventful period I can remember.

What that means I don't know.

EDIT: Regarding the original post, various shops have different promotions and deals on a range of things.  For example, HMV (locally) now has Master Of Puppets by Metallica priced at ?7, when a year ago it was closer to ?15. Now, I don't think Metallica are going down the drain somehow.

Just sales techniques.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:41:36 PM by SolitaryHeartache »

Offline PhiLiz

• Picciotto
  • Make A Change... Kill Yourself
    • PhiLiz Space
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 09:16:43 PM »
I find very awkward and fallacious to judge a band's vitality by the price of their CD's...
Furthermore, I find think it's wrong to say a band is going "down the drain" because they are - hypothetically - selling less CD's than what they have sold in the past.

'Venus Doom' is a complex and difficult album. It's not easy listening. It's oriented to those fans who are capable of understanding musical change and artistic deepness.
I think it's quite normal their sales decrease after such an album... but even this point (less commercial success) is not proved by the price of their old CD's. For example, here in Portugal, 'Deep Shadows And Brilliant Highlights' costs nearly 20€... It is very ambiguous to do an analogy between the cost of the CD's and the health of the band.

Sure there are very few things going on nowadays with HIM. Concentrating on the new album? Taking a rest? I don't know and I don't care either.
Does this "status quo" represent a bad situation for business? Perhaps... but I rather have a great album like 'Venus Doom' that sells less than to have a mediocre release that sells a lot...

Offline 0321

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
I have to say in the long, long time I have followed the band, this is the most dead, quiet and uneventful period I can remember.

Quiet period?  They were playing shows earlier this year.  It's been what.. seven months or so since their last show.  The guys need a break every now and then.  I know they get paid for going out on the road and putting on good shows but they have a life too and not 100% of it is dedicated to you.

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
Quiet period?  They were playing shows earlier this year.  It's been what.. seven months or so since their last show.  The guys need a break every now and then.  I know they get paid for going out on the road and putting on good shows but they have a life too and not 100% of it is dedicated to you.

i completely agree with you
didnt they have the european projekt revolution tour over the summer?
and those other shows in August?!?!

im glad they're all resting
i just hope some good lyrics and music are brewing in ville's head while he's hibernating this winter
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:35:58 PM by Rasta666 »

Offline 0321

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
I think he's always writing songs while he's on the road even if they're just little doodles in his book that may turn into songs.

Offline Len777

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »
he def is i'm a musician and lyricist as well and you always have ideas popping up in your head i bet this album is gonna be better than the last three in all opinion i think hes more stable and his schedule is less hectic. it's gonna be better than love metal venus doom and dark light obviously  ;)

• Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:06 PM »

Well, that was a loving message.

I have been around this HIM thing for a while, I know how it works ;)

I was just saying, it is a bit quiet.  No real news, no updates etc.  Normally something is going on.

However, Helldone is round the corner.

You can untwist those knickers now  :P

Offline 0321

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 08:16:56 AM »
Because you're the only person who has been listening to HIM for more than one year.  I've been following them too for years.  There was just an update with Ville speaking on Heartagram.  And he's done stuff for the movie in Finnish and extra stuff helping out on that one song with other musicians.  Not really quite if you ask me.

My knickers were never twisted, thank you.

Offline Len777

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »
knock it off you two before i have to give you both a spanking ;)

Offline Razorblade kiss

• Cafone
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 04:24:38 PM »
its been quiet since love metal, the past two albums have been shocking compared to previous efforts. every album he tried to emulate black sabbath and every time he failed.
The band to hear

Offline 0321

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »
I don't think Dark Light was as much of their album as they wanted it to be.  I think the record company had more say in that release.

Offline ourdiabolikalrapture

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »
I don't think Dark Light was as much of their album as they wanted it to be.  I think the record company had more say in that release.

I agree every bit, I hate that HIM is with sire/warner they give them almost no promotion in the U.S. what so ever. I can't wait till their off of warner.

Offline PhiLiz

• Picciotto
    • PhiLiz Space
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
its been quiet since love metal, the past two albums have been shocking compared to previous efforts. every album he tried to emulate black sabbath and every time he failed.

Can you explain me where do you see a Black Sabbath emulation in songs like "Play Dead"? Or perhaps in the title track...? I think it's a mistake to say they're trying to emulate BS but even when I only try to understand your words in terms on influence... well, 'Dark Light' has very little of BS influence contrary to 'Venus Doom', for example.

'Love Metal' is far more influenced by Black Sabbath than 'Dark Light'. Just listen to the slow, gloomy songs on 'Love Metal' or the fast and heavy-riffing  songs the first part of the album has... and compare them to the more "lighter" sound (there is not a negative side inherent to this observation...) on 'Dark Light'...

Maybe you're taking Valo's words of "Black Sabbath tribute band of sorts" a little too far. He means it in terms of influence for the band... it doesn't mean he's copying them.
I can see this influence in a great deal of riffs in 'Venus Doom'... but I really can't see the same type of influence in other elements of the music such as the keyboards, for an instance. Much less an emulation...

Offline Gemma.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 03:22:48 PM »
Just a point play.com is a british site, the average price of a cd be it by a lower ranking or high earning artist is roughly between 7 - 10 pounds [and only a tenner if you're lucky] with the current economic climate and the british government trying to lure people back into spending with vat cuts I personally fail to see the problem, they'd have more chance of shifting  copies of a double cd to a new fan who isn't prepared to buy two albums at a time on a whim at a discount price then selling all four albums seperatly at full price.

Plus dark light is one of the worst albums i've ever actually put my hand in my pocket to buy, it wouldn't hurt your pocket quite so much if venus doom had come as part of the package as you can condone paying the fiver purely for a copy of that album even if the extra part you didn't enjoy so much.

rihanna's album was listed as 7.99 at tesco, is she going down the drain?
nope i'm pretty sure she's shifting units.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:24:25 PM by Gemma. »

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
If I was just being introduced to all HIM music now, without any background information, I would never link it to Black Sabbath. The connection would not occur to me.

I agree completely.
It was only after I heard live material that I heard the connection.

Offline PhiLiz

• Picciotto
    • PhiLiz Space
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 03:05:31 PM »
Although I don't agree with HIM being a copy-cat of Black Sabbath, I can easily see the connection between the two bands. Just for an instance, some of the breaks on Venus Doom are quite influenced by the most Doom-oriented work of Black Sabbath (such as 'Master Of Reality').

For me it's surely not a copy, but I would link HIM to BS if it was the first time I would heard 'Venus Doom'... If you look back the influence isn't as big as today (live and in studio) and the only album with a few hints of BS influence is, as I refer, 'Love Metal'.

• Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »
You can pick out the influences that HIM have had in making their music, but it isn't clear cut or anything like that.

Ville was influenced by Sabbath, Iggy Pop, Neil Diamond etc.  HIM's music doesn't sound like any of those artists but upon hearing the artists you can see where they had an effect on the music he makes.

• Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
Because you're the only person who has been listening to HIM for more than one year.  I've been following them too for years.  There was just an update with Ville speaking on Heartagram.  And he's done stuff for the movie in Finnish and extra stuff helping out on that one song with other musicians.  Not really quite if you ask me.

My knickers were never twisted, thank you.

Relaaaax, crikey.

It's my fault in the first place, I have been listening to alot of bands like Metallica, who update everyday through their various websites, I am just getting used to that at the moment.

I am not the only person to admit it's quiet, but its irrelevant because there will be a new album soon enough and it will be immense.

Sorted.

Offline ourdiabolikalrapture

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »
Personally it's a good deal for both of the cd's. I wouldnt buy it it's not a bad deal for the both of them.

Offline 0321

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:15 AM »
Relaaaax, crikey.

It's my fault in the first place, I have been listening to alot of bands like Metallica, who update everyday through their various websites, I am just getting used to that at the moment.

I am not the only person to admit it's quiet, but its irrelevant because there will be a new album soon enough and it will be immense.

Sorted.

I've been relaxed.  Why must you continue to bring it up?

I think it's funny that no one is considering the value of one dollar, or the currency in your area, and how little any money is worth anymore.