Author Topic: Album 7 speculation!  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
Album 7 speculation!
« on: June 29, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
So here we are well over a year before album 7 is a reality. We're only 10 months removed from Venus Doom, so we've all had plenty of time for that to sink in. I think we're all pretty much satisfied with what VD brought to the HIM catalog.
The idea of this topic is this: At this point in time, what would you like to see from HIM on A7? Anything from ideas of album/song titles, to the types of songs, imagery, ect. I'd like to keep this topic going until the release of A7 to see how close (or more likely, far off) we are to the actual album.

Personally, I want a concept album. I like how VD had a vague story that went through the first 5 tracks, but it wasn't anything terribly concrete. I would like to see Ville and co. produce an honest to goodness concept album. I would also like to see the other band members take parts of the lead vocals too. I think this would work well under a concept album theme, as different parts of the story could be told by different people.
Thoughts?
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline Morningrise

Re: Album 7 speculation!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
I'm a bit torn. One half of me would really like to hear them take their recent doom influences even further, perhaps producing an actual doom record. The other half really wants them to turn it down a notch and release a simple and honest pop rock album in the same vain as Deep Shadows.

As far as album titles are concerned, they haven't exactly been inspiring as of late. Love Metal, Dark Light, Venus Doom... I'd like them to switch it up this time around.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:59:32 PM by Morningrise »

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
I think I want them to continue in the direction they are going.

I complained a bit about Dark Light being a little to keyboard driven, but I listened to it in my car yesterday driving to Vermont, and I really enjoyed it. But, I do still prefer Venus Doom over DL. I wanna ask for a mixture of the two, but isn't that just basically asking for Love Metal (the album, not genre)? I think if they tried to do another Deep Shadows, it would turn out like Dark Light 2. They have matured too much and I don't think they can create the sound they did back in 2001.

Part of me wants to say that I want to wait a little longer for a new album, but I feel like when Fall comes around, I'm going to be totally in the mood for some new tracks. I could go for another tour before I get a new album I think. But that's just as of right now, in a few months I can already guess I'm going to have a post on this topic that says:

"I want a fucking new album!!!"

Summary:
Whatever direction they go in, I'll be happy with, as long as they take the time to make it really good.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 08:15:55 PM by Rasta666 »

Offline On Flowers Of Evil

• TEMPERARE LACRIMIS
  • Cafone
  • smoking slices of heart
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »
I hope the new album will be very particular and that he wil be able to add a different quality and something just a bit more strong to the "new style of Venus Doom"...but I don't really know what expect from the band...I have to confess that every album is a surprise, and every album can twist me and passes on me something of indescribable, and it is a wonderful feeling.

In every case I hope that it will be very very very very very very very different from Dark Light, because in that album there wasn't nothing of very impressing or something of particular as the other works of the band
αяяινα αяяινα єℓ ∂ιαвℓσ!!!!!!!!

Offline Spiritual_takeover

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
VD is a masterpiece and I'm confident that the band will keep up the good work in the future as well. Regarding the new album, I'd like it to be a mixture of GLS, LM and VD 'cause those were, in my opinion, their best ever albums. I doubt it that they would return to pop rock for A7. I'd like them to put in the new album, even as a b-side for a single, a studio version of Rebel Yell. They've played it again this year and it sounds great. Also, more tracks than on the VD album would be nice. I don't have any fears regarding the quality of the new material, I bet it's gonna be awesome.
Breathe your poison in other people's hearts

Offline PhiLiz

• Picciotto
  • Make A Change... Kill Yourself
    • PhiLiz Space
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 01:54:39 PM »
I will divide my opinion in two: what I want and what I honestly believe they will release.

Starting with the first, I really would like one of two things (both mixed would be too forced and would probably lack some direction...):
- First, a real comeback to their roots. I'm not talking in simply making an heavier album (like they did with 'Venus Doom'), more guitar-oriented and such. I'm talking about a return to the atmospheric, haunting and epic sound of the masterpiece that is 'Greatest Lovesongs Vol.666'. In order for that to happen they would have to bring back the "Gothic" feeling that has been missing since 'Love Metal'. I'm not really into the Gothic Rock/Metal stereotype sound but in HIM's music just adds something to the mix that I really like. That's one of the key elements both in the first album and in 'Razorblade Romance'. Though, would make me very satisfied (probably a change like the one I just described would be the best thing HIM could do "for me" in their next effort), I think this hypothesis is a very remote one;

- Second, a deeper dive into this kind of Doom Rock (lacking better term) they put out in 'Venus Doom'. They don't have to change that much, just keep emphasizing the complex song structures of the last album. An album full of songs like "Sleepwalking Past Hope" (in complexity and atmosphere not necessarily in length) with several transitions in the sound and changes of rhythm. This approach I just described can be the band's and it is more realistic than the first one... but I don't thing it's quite what the HIM is going to do.

What I believe they're going to build is a an album in the same vein of 'Venus Doom', but not quite as complex. I predict an even heavier Rock album and the incorporation of some elements usually associated with Stoner Rock... but with much more direct approach in the songs. The speed will increase a bit (like they did in some tracks of 'Love Metal') and in general will be a more "in your face" Rock album than 'Venus Doom'. Now, as far as the first aspect I'm very optimistic... but I hope a simpler release does not necessarily mean a lighter or Pop-oriented album.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:14:33 PM by PhiLiz »

Offline childindark

• Picciotto
  • ever smiled at the tragedies
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
a concept album would be cool but I'd rather have it that ville writes from his heart and brain instead of trying too hard to make it into a concept album... I love the VD sound and would be happy if they continued to develope in that direction and maybe abit towards the way they sounded on their demos... and also, I would love to hear some more bass solos =) as long as they don't tune down the bass I'mma be happy, and that they don't make yet another album as pop-ish as DL...I need to really hear and feel the bass =)
oh and please please come up with an album name as good as deep shadows and brilliant highlights ^^ no more "uh I'mma take one of the song titles and put it as the album name" that's just kinda dull really... :)
I wish I could say hello to Iggy Pop. Obviously, this is not the right moment!

Offline dan666

• Associate
  • Join Me In Death
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:17:43 AM »
i believe in them so whatever they release im gonna listen to with open mind and love it i dont want any expectations or anything
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:05:54 PM »
Ok, so I'm sitting at work, slacking off as usual, and I can't get this topic out of my head. So, I've made a list of common themes being brought up in this topic, and I'm gonna give my input on them.

Concept Album
I don't know about this idea. I think it would have to be a VERY light concept album. I came up with some ideas for a story, mainly about a character:
-Birth
-Falling in love/Falling out of love
-Drugs (More specifically drinking, and maybe rehab)
-Sex
-Death
Some loose ideas, nothing too good though on my part. Sounds a little like the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, I'm kind of embarrassed ha-ha. But maybe that's why I'm not writing music. Like I said, I'm not very thrilled about this idea, but it could very well work. I like concept albums, so if they succeeded, it could very well end up being my favorite HIM album.

Back to their roots
I feel like VD was a return, just lacking a bit of the goth effect of GLS. The problem with this idea is that they have been trying to be classified more as rock than goth, ever since they abbreviated the name from His Infernal Majesty to HIM. I do want darker and grittier guitars like on 'Our Diabolikal Rapture' or 'The Beginning of the End', but I think going for more goth is not what the guys have in mind. Just to add to this, Ville's voice is more "doom" these days, and less haunting and goth. Not taking a shot, just observing what I hear. Maybe I'm the only one.

Multiple Vocals
I do like this idea, but only as a harmony and backing idea. Burton and Mige have been singing live more and more lately, and them backing Ville up on an album would be great. Hell, even Linde can join in and spice it up with a little Dope Danny flavor! With that being said, I don't want them to leave an entire song to one of the guys. I think it would sound too different from the rest of the album, something I don't think they want to do, especially if we are still talking about a concept album. I think it just barely worked for System of a Down (ex: see Lonely Day and other songs on Hypnotize), but I think the responsibility should stay with Ville.

Titles
I agree with some of the comments about the titles being a little off lately, but they absolutely cannot change the oxymoron/opposite theme they have had since GLS, which I'm sure most of you agree with. It can still be two words, but maybe jack up the syllable count so it seems longer. I also agree with childindark about taking titles from song names:
oh and please please come up with an album name as good as deep shadows and brilliant highlights ^^ no more "uh I'mma take one of the song titles and put it as the album name" that's just kinda dull really... :)

Solos
Childindark also said something about more bass solos. I agree, but I think it should be one upped with drum solos and maybe keyboard solos as well. This could be featured on another epic track in the same vein as Sleepwalking Past Hope, where each member gets a little time to show off their skills. If they really want to be daring, Ville and Linde can try to throw in a "Zeppelin" style 'call and return', in which the guitarist screams a high riff, and the vocalist imitates it with his voice. (see the end of You Shook Me by Led Zeppelin, or the youtube video of
. Ville says something about Zeppelin before he does it.)

More Guitar
Just a new idea, not brought up yet. I think Ville should play rhythm guitar on this next album. I know that Linde sometimes likes to record 3 or more guitar parts for certain songs, which is fine, but I think if Ville started playing guitar live again on stage, it would be awesome. Whether it's an acoustic or electric, Ville always looks cool. And with an extra guitar, they may try and tackle some live songs like 'Cyanide Sun' or 'Love's Requiem', which they haven't been able to perform yet.

Anyways, this is a long post but it's just ideas that I thought would be interesting to someone. I'll try not to post anything lis long again. It's definitely a pain in the ass to read, and I should probably get fired, cause as you can see I don't do much work here.

Later

Offline YoursweetSixsixsix

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »
I would like to hear more singing from the rest of the band - or at least more harmony singing sections. The idea of each band member having a part of a song to sing would be great.

The sort of sound I would like, would be something in the tone of Greatest Lovesongs Vol.666 - like going back to their roots, but with a new slant. I haven't really thought about this properly yet (as you can tell) but somehow to bring that once deep pure sound back added together with their new style.

Me too. Another record with the sound of VD would be great, but the best thing would be a GLS like album. It's my favourite sort of sound from all their releases.

Live long and prosper, earthlings

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
The new album just has to atmospheric.

Keep going with the doom, turn it up a notch.

I think they could be their most musically creative on the next album, VD showed a bit of creative flair with tempos and such like.  I think if they go full throttle with that and produce a truly epic record then that is something any HIM fan could be happy with.

Here's hoping.

Offline The-Reaper

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »
I hope that the next album is an advancement to Venus Doom with the direction from Venus Doom because I love Venus Doom and another album like that would be great .

Offline MercuryAnne

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 06:15:18 AM »
Personally, I'd be happy just to have another album. Though, the whole Venus Doom feel would be awesome. Seems this is the general hope.

I think they did a really good job with VD, going back to their roots and all. It would be so awesome if they continued this trend.

Oh and...
I hope it's out for 2009!
~It is all tears and it will be 'til the end of your time~

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:41:49 AM »
I hope it will be as great as VD. 2nd guitar would be awesome, but Ville will never play guitar live cause he must smoke :D I hope also for heavier songs and lower vocals like in VD (song) in breakdown.
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline 0401695

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
Last week Ville said to the Finnish press that they are probably going to studio in January. After last gig he is going to fly L.A and meet some record label people.

http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/kulttuuri.shtml/arkistot/kulttuuri/2008/07/670207

Offline Len777

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 10:20:41 PM »
i have a feeling this ones gonna be more acoustic oriented like deep shadows  and a little bit of a love mteal vibe and probably more experimental

Offline poetry.in.flesh

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »
I want the next album to be very gritty gothic a nightmare before christmasesque tinge to the album. Just like a mix of deep shadows and greatest lovesongs.
Yes VD was amazing, hoever, i just think they need to shake off the mainstream edge and have the underground quality back that lies in greatest lovesongs.
Personally i love each and every single album and in a simple sentance i want the next album to be a more gothic greatest lovesongs with a hint of razorblade romance tragedy mixed in but the odd track to be anthemic like funeral of hearts.

Offline Jacob La Fey

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 12:10:52 PM »
I hope for more ballads ..., like on DS&BH ..., HIM is best in that things in My opinion ...

koohai

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »

More Guitar
Just a new idea, not brought up yet. I think Ville should play rhythm guitar on this next album. I know that Linde sometimes likes to record 3 or more guitar parts for certain songs, which is fine, but I think if Ville started playing guitar live again on stage, it would be awesome. Whether it's an acoustic or electric, Ville always looks cool. And with an extra guitar, they may try and tackle some live songs like 'Cyanide Sun' or 'Love's Requiem', which they haven't been able to perform yet.

Yeah, I agree with you, they should add a second guitar, so that they could have a wider variety of songs to play on stage. And maybe this could make their sound a bit heavier. That'd be nice.

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »
1. Ville is lazy ass and he won't play guitar on stage
2. Ville likes to smoke on stage and with guitar he won't be able to smoke ;)
3. Ville propably don't like idea about band being heavier
So we can hope the 2nd guitar, but it's one of those dreams which never come true :(

Offline vampireheart616

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 01:52:51 PM »
i just hope it's as great as the rest of their albums and includes something they haven't done before like a second guitar or some acoustic stuff
Today tomorrow seems so far away and the wait in vain

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 01:56:42 AM »
Can't wait to hear something more about new CD...

Offline MercuryAnne

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 03:42:56 AM »
1. Ville is lazy ass and he won't play guitar on stage
2. Ville likes to smoke on stage and with guitar he won't be able to smoke ;)
3. Ville propably don't like idea about band being heavier
So we can hope the 2nd guitar, but it's one of those dreams which never come true :(

Well they could get another band member...though HIM's perfect now...
~It is all tears and it will be 'til the end of your time~

Offline vampireheart616

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »
a new member is a cool idea but there is no way they could handle a new member the entire band has been with each other for a long time a new member could ruin the bond the band currnetly has
Today tomorrow seems so far away and the wait in vain

Offline playdead616

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »
either theyre gonna push the doom metal even further or theyll take it down a notch. I personally dont think theyre gonna go heavy again because if they were, they would almost be done wrapping up songs. im sure theres unfinnished VD songs they could fix into it and what not. If they stick with the heavy stuff it will be easier to make simallar sounding music. also ville said that hes been enjoying personal time at home playing acoustic. he said he has worked out 15 new song ideas on his guitar. so hopefully its more acoustic,m ore unique, but more input from the others, like Love Metal and Deep Shadows.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 04:34:21 PM by playdead616 »

The endless river, forever and ever...