Author Topic: Teacher Plays HIM In Class, Parents Freak Out  (Read 4357 times)

Offline lastxcallforsin

Teacher Plays HIM In Class, Parents Freak Out
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »
Teacher plays HIM in class and burns songs for her students to take home. Parents get upset.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/15353196/detail.html

Offline RadicalEdward006

• HIM
  • Cafone
  • In Joy and Sorrow
    • DeviantART
Re: Teacher Plays HIM In Class, Parents Freak Out
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:32:57 AM »
Hmm...mixed about this one. I think the kids would be too young to understand the deeper meaning behind HIM's songs, and they would take it more literal than say, the rest of us here at the Sacrament do. But that's because we do more than just listen to the lyrics, and we know what it's all about. Kind of like the parents did, also. They hear those lyrics and freak out, taking it literally.

But, I also don't know what the other songs on the CD were, if it was strictly HIM, or if she was putting a whole bunch of different artists together, in which case, she could have also taken the song literally, and she's a psycho, and she really is trying to get these kids to go all manic depressive and kill themselves? I dunno, seems pretty effed up to me. 

Offline xAndyDollx

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »
when i was in 9th grade we read romeo and juliet

when i was in 6th grade. i was in cathlioc school, and we  watched Jesus Christ Superstar. and read Greek Mythology.

This news article is rediculious...i believe they were just looking for a way to fire the teacher, snad thsi was just theer cop out.

Offline emock

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »
I have to say that I found it a bit funny. The extracts they played seemed carefully picked to shock and I think one of the first bits you hear isn't HIM or at least you can't tell as the sound's so crumby. You don't really get much idea about context really. If it's just a load of random HIM tracks and other stuff then there's no harm in it but I suppose if it's a load of stuff purposefully centred around death, killing, suicide etc then that is worrying. Anyway I suspect it's the former and just a storm in a teacup.
If the sun comes down when your not around, it will surely put me through Hell...

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
Join Me In Death has always caused controversy since it came out some 9 odd years ago...
there have always been stories about teenagers taking it to seriously...

but what kind of fucking teacher makes mixes for their students?? seriously? this fat bitch is making cd's?? what about actually teaching them something?? maybe school has changed drastically since i was there but  in sixth grade i was actually starting to learn stuff and not play around...

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
The first sample they played was Drowning Pool.

Offline Neikan

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:03:45 PM »
Haha, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.
I actually laughed reading this!
Why do everyone has to take things so literally?
And How I Miss Someone To Hold When Hope Begins to Fade~

Offline loveslastbreath

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
theres also a video on there that is pretty funny about this. i hate how they latch onto one song by HIM and fail to mention other songs that are clearly anti-suicide example don't close your heart. they also mentioned your sweet six six six but didnt read off any lyrics as they clearly realized they could make no relation between that song and suicide or violence for tht matter. we all just have to hope that someone like bill o reilly doesnt pick up this story and considering it's a fox affiliate that is a possibility. :-\ bunch of rednecks in north carolina.

Offline koala_360

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 11:10:19 PM »
That teacher should teach something to those kids!!!!
About the topic I hink that the parents took it literally, that song is about love and give your life for someone you love, that doesn't mean that you'll kill that person.

Offline emock

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 06:41:24 AM »
there's nothing wrong with playing background music while kids work but i'd have thought HIM would be a bit distracting
If the sun comes down when your not around, it will surely put me through Hell...

Offline province

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 12:38:04 PM »
Shame on that disgraceful teacher for using such brainwashing tactics  ::)

Indeed! Burning mix CDs for the kids to take home and listen to? Geez. ;)

It's funny how lots of people are getting all upset and pissed off by this, while the band are probably just laughing about it and enjoying the free publicity.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:42:33 PM by province »

Offline Monique+Ville

• Picciotto
  • Are you ready to die for love?
    • HIM Brasil
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:52:26 AM »
About the topic I hink that the parents took it literally, that song is about love and give your life for someone you love, that doesn't mean that you'll kill that person.

Even though I, as any HIM fan, don't take these lyrics literally, I would expect parents to freak out, yes...
When you listen to that for the first time, it might be a little shocking if it's not what you're used to lsiten to.

Offline playdead616

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »
my religion teacher plays pink floyd in class haha.

i should bring in gls666  ;D

The endless river, forever and ever...

Offline UseYourAppetite

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »
That's pretty stupid.  :-\

Offline Jay

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 02:00:31 PM »
My God, save the children from music!  Because, as we all know, music (not poor parenting) is behind all tragedies....  ::)

I love it when reporters talk about music when they have absolutely no perspective at all.  Her reading the lyrics in that robot reporter voice made me cringe.  I guess it's a good thing HIM switched the lyrics up from the original, "and my wrists are open wide for you..." ;)

Maybe putting "Your Sweet Six Six Six" on the CD wasn't the best choice, though.  I tend to leave it off of mix CDs when trying to introduce people to HIM, just because not everyone is educated about it and will automatically assume HIM is evil...kind of like what happened here.

The parents who were freaked out probably don't listen to anything other than country music, songs about cheating and drinking. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:09:23 PM by Jay »

Offline vampireheart616

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:28 PM »
where is this?
Today tomorrow seems so far away and the wait in vain

Offline loveslastbreath

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 06:53:33 PM »
north or south carolina

Offline Tauriainen

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:23 PM »
Geez. ;)
I hope no-one finds my burned cds.
[/quote]
Bootlegger ... er... wait.

I think the kids would be too young to understand the deeper meaning behind HIM's songs
"Deep"?
I think thats only a matter of opinion.

Offline Jack Sparrow

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 07:40:12 AM »
[Bootlegger ... er... wait.

Maybe this teacher has a big collection of HIM material and bootlegs!!!  We gotta contact her!  :D

I'm gonna take the job after she's fired and I'm gonna start burning some Metallica and Cannibal Corpse tracks to the dumb kids so the parents keep complaining. :D
<<>So Before Life Tears Us Apart Let Death Bless Me With You<>>

Offline Rasta666

• Linde's Hairstylist
  • Hitman
  • Associate
  • Sex, Drugs & Love Metal
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
it doesnt matter what music it is... if the teacher was playing fucking Hanson, it still is retarded that she is playing music when she should be teaching the kids about history and algebra..

the teacher was obviously retarded, and didn't think about the consequences of playing a band like HIM in her class.
they're not goth... but their lyrics are dark, which some people, like us, absolutely love and find brilliant, but others would portray as satanic...

she probably deserved this...
just a shame it was our band and not the twisted lyrics of marilyn manson or eminem, who already have dealt with controversy...

Offline Monique+Ville

• Picciotto
  • Are you ready to die for love?
    • HIM Brasil
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »

I think the kids would be too young to understand the deeper meaning behind HIM's songs
"Deep"?
I think thats only a matter of opinion.

Maybe, but as stated before, some people might be shocked by some HIM's lyrics if they're not used to them.

Offline Thomz91

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »
About time those kids got some proper music taste anyways, huh ? :P

Offline H---I---M

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 10:52:57 AM »
 Nice teacher ;)

Offline childindark

• Picciotto
  • ever smiled at the tragedies
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 04:31:46 AM »
haha when I saw this I freaked out...I mean come on...HIM don't do more harm than disecting frogs or to read shakespeare or any other author for that matter....are they to bann all of that too? it's just rediculous really...HIM ain't satanic or anywhere close, and they don't want ppl to commit suicide  >:(
I wish I could say hello to Iggy Pop. Obviously, this is not the right moment!

Offline RavenBlackNight

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
... i dont know what to say about this anymore...its just funny.