Author Topic: Venus Doom (Reviews)  (Read 5992 times)

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:12:00 PM by lastxcallforsin »

Offline Dope_Danny

Re: Venus Doom (Reviews)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
IMO the aversion review hits it right on the head

HIM has been dead since Love Metal, and i've only realized that after listening to this album . . .

theres just no flow anymore, if you dont know what i'm talking about go back and listen to razorblade or deep shadows . . . then listen to a track off of VD, the passion and meaning of the lyrics just seem like an act now

Offline loveisdyinginside

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »
You don't know what you're talking about... how can you say that after listening to cyanide sun or dead lover's lane... Don't you find emotion and passion in thoses???? Then you don't like HIM and that's a fact!! HIM will always remain their passion and esence! This album is a great step on HIM's carreer, perhaps it's not  as good as the old ones... but it's HIM definitely! I've listened to HIM a long time ago, perhaps i would allow you to say that refering to DArk Light... but Venus Doom??? Oh no... you don't know what you're talking about.. Listen to VD.. over and over again.. and you'll find out the secret and the passion in it...!! I bet you will! Don't be so close-minded, bands can't remain as their roots, they need to experiment... this is good as long as they remain on the same line... and i think HIM has done it... so just think of it...!

PD: I don't want to start a fight out of this..   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:36:14 PM by undertherose15 »
There are wounds that are not meant to heal at all...

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 11:24:32 PM »
Razorblade Romance is the best HIM album in my opinion. Venus Doom is better then Dark Light, but not by a whole lot. I actually enjoyed the first half of Dark Light though. Lyrically, Venus Doom is probably their worst album, but it's still fun and somewhat heavy.

"take me home to the castle made of skulls and bones"

"and to evil we make love"

makes me cringe...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:38:31 PM by lastxcallforsin »

Offline sylvie

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:49:49 PM »
no kidding. "...writhe around in the sort of unintentionally hilarious pseudo-pain..." it's not the pain that's made light of, it's just the way the lyrics are so...sixth grade.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:50:45 PM by sylvie »

Offline Danny

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »
The Aversion review didnt make sence to me at all,haha. Hate when people are trying to play sofisticated when writing about music.

But i liked the sputnikmusic review seemed like he really knew a lot about the band.
And finally someone know that HIM atually has been heavy before and that they actually have realesed six albums not two as it seems many other reviewers think. And also finally someone pointed out that fact that Ville always said ohhh its SO heavy blablabl the heaviest we have done in every interview. When basically its not...

And HIM is back with a brand new album, which according to Ville Valo - "will blow your speakers". At every chance he has got, Valo has stressed how heavy this album was going to be. It's going to be like Master of the Puppets, it's going to be like Black Sabbath, it's going to be this and it's going to be that... Well is it? Hell no. This is in no way HIM's heaviest album

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 08:31:22 AM by Danny »

Offline HRebelIYellM

• Mobbed Up
  • "My heaven is wherever you are"
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 10:12:33 AM »
If you look back even as far as to RR, HIM's lyrics have never been anything amazing. :o

"All I ever wanteeeeeeeed...was you my love you're all i've ever wanted, yes, youuuuuuuuuuuuu my love."

Offline muschy

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 11:45:29 AM »
lyrically this album is a bit straightforward and somewhat cheesier, its still not bad though, i enjoyed the lyrics on love metal, and that clearly is the best HIM album lyrically.... venus doom is excellent, but really needs an extra 4 minute song
I see a tulip on the grave of a lover who confessed, "I'm a soldier and a poet
But I'm a dancer at best."

Offline Florianhermanni

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
If you look back even as far as to RR, HIM's lyrics have never been anything amazing. :o

"All I ever wanteeeeeeeed...was you my love you're all i've ever wanted, yes, youuuuuuuuuuuuu my love."

for what are you here at all...if you rip off this beautiful song...

seems like you don't understand what it's all about at all.
Just moved to the States - Indianapolis is my new home:
anyone else here from Indy? Contact me!
https://www.facebook.com/flo.bo.98

Offline ForAllTid

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »

Aversion
http://www.aversion.com/bands/reviews.cfm?f_id=3269

OWNED

but anyways....I think VD is one of their best in terms of writing next to LM...maybe not lyrically  but it's still better than their verse chorus verse chorus bullshit they've doen throughout the years. For instanced on DL it seemed they tried to "changed it up" with some random parts that don't do anything to the song, example the end of vampire heart. I think on VD they tried the same thing but succeeded. And finally everytime I read an interview regarding a new album and ville says shit like , "oh yeah it's gonna be the shit motherfucker, it's gonna be so heavy and brutal blah blah" i never really take that crap seriously because I know it'll end up coming out the opposite.

all in all Id give VD a 8/10
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:48:58 PM by ForAllTid »

Offline Ziggy18

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:54:53 PM »
after reading those, it made me realize so much stuff.  next time i play the album i'll keep some of that stuff in mind.   
Run Away From The Sun

Offline Florianhermanni

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 01:19:09 PM »
reviews are kinda sad accept the 3rd one...but in this "PKF" is very under-appreciated...it's such an amazing song! Anyway a good review!
Just moved to the States - Indianapolis is my new home:
anyone else here from Indy? Contact me!
https://www.facebook.com/flo.bo.98

Offline dan666

• Associate
  • Join Me In Death
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 02:24:03 PM »
reviews arnt that great. . .
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline Tauriainen

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »
Ok. did I not talk bad about the album at first or not?

Hence these comments by people even greater than me make assumptions of the albums intake (not by the band, but the actual Production seems to be drier than a Thanksgiving Turkey carved up by a homeless).

HIM had potency at one point, but re-inventing yourself through each album is not possible for everyone (praise Bowie). It is the need for them to want money that the critics really kill them, in America they are nothing more than some emo pop band who feel a need to sing in a dark state of mind.
I am sure they can go back, but it will be after they leave W.B.

As sad as it is to say, even Fans will trash talk this album further on in the months progress. Why? Because they will realize that the fair complex riffs, words, tempo are not the best for them.

But don't think America actually dislikes them. There are three other good reviews I read, but also one more which was made through a W.B. writer so expect their money to be paid well ... should I say W.B. to get some money back for their product.

With that at hand, best of luck to these guys.

Offline Lifer81

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »
I would have appreciated one more 4 min song. Or if Song or Suicide was a whole song, that would have been fn awsome. Lyrically Love Metal is untouchable. I find myself searching for epic lyrics in this one, but still love it

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »
Love Metal was great lyrically, but GLV666 also was very good. Lyrics were simple, but beautiful.
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:34 PM »
added a few more reviews

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:27:06 PM »
I'm impressed. There's been some pretty damn decent reviews so far!
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

mereanus

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 10:34:13 PM »
From Billboard's review:

H.I.M. isn't a band known for profound lyrics, but, at the same time, most fans of the band don't want to philosophize

What the fuck?

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 10:43:13 PM »
From Billboard's review:

H.I.M. isn't a band known for profound lyrics, but, at the same time, most fans of the band don't want to philosophize

What the fuck?

I completely agree with the first part. I mean come on, "baby, join me in death"? Hell, even Ville admits that most of their songs are sillier than fuck.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 10:59:46 PM »
From Billboard's review:

What the fuck?

I completely agree with the first part. I mean come on, "baby, join me in death"? Hell, even Ville admits that most of their songs are sillier than fuck.

I agree. There is some great poetry throughout their catalog though.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:01:35 PM by lastxcallforsin »

Offline livewire625

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 02:25:36 AM »

And HIM is back with a brand new album, which according to Ville Valo - "will blow your speakers". At every chance he has got, Valo has stressed how heavy this album was going to be. It's going to be like Master of the Puppets, it's going to be like Black Sabbath, it's going to be this and it's going to be that... Well is it? Hell no. This is in no way HIM's heaviest album

I totally remember that too. I was expecting something majorly heavy. I hear some Sabbath influence in there no doubt, but I was expecting some real metal as well.
I think its the worst album lyrically tho, It sounds like hes trying to hard. Musically it grows on ya tho.

Offline Inferno

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 11:46:54 PM »
I don't care what anyone says... Venus Doom is one of my favorite albums. Who the fuck said lyrics had to be sophisticated? I love VD's lyrics and wouldn't trade them for anything else, besides it's nothing different from any of the other albums. Actually, when I come to think of it... Ville's lyrics have gotten better over the years, it was so simple before Love Metal then it got better, had some writers block for Dark Light but it still had some strong songs... but VD is just amazing to me, I couldn't ask for anything more.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline lastxcallforsin

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »
New review from IGN.com added.

Offline ladyvenom

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
VD is one of the best HIM albums. In my opinoin this one is much better than Dark Light.
Beautiful melodies + very good lyrics + unique atmosphere = five stars *****for VD
Mr Valo, you are a master :-*