Author Topic: Is it me or does Ville not enjoy playing?  (Read 8498 times)

Offline Zhivago

Re: Is it me or does Ville not enjoy playing?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 01:12:25 PM »
I wish I could see them on the PR tour, but at least they're doing a live broadcast... I hope.

Offline Fearxforthebest

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »
I have a feeling, at least Ville, does not enjoy performing in the US.

Id love to go to a show in Europe, more specifically Finland, i bet that would be such an energetic show.

I've seen HIM perform twice at Tavastia on a New Year's Eve, a couple years ago.
The first time was amazing, but the second time Ville seemed very tired, like lacking the energy to pull out a great concert.
I think what happens with Ville in the US, is that as the venues grow bigger all the time, he needs a little getting used to the pressure. I'm quite sure it's only about nervousness and not about him "not enjoying performing in the US". As far as i've understood, getting to perform at big arenas and stadiums in the US is one of their dreams, so it can't be that he doesn't enjoy it.
It must be quite difficult to go from clubs of <1000 to stadiums of tens of thousands of people...

ummmm
no, you're wrong. completely in fact.
Some of their best shows have been in front of 60,000-100,000 people at festivals in europe.
Nothing in America compares to what they've done in Europe. They just play a shitload of shows in the US. In Europe they pop out maybe 10 at most, US is usually pushing 20 shows a tour after the 04 tour.

If you really knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Ville was completely wasted on alcohol while performing for the first time at the Madison Square Garden, because he was completely unnerved because of the importance of the situation.
America is the place you have to conquer if you want some relevance in the international music scene, so playing a gig for 60.000 in America is more important than playing a gig for 60.000 in Europe, in that sense.
And again, they've played big FESTIVALS in the past in Europe, but never a tour like Projekt Revolution, and definitely haven't played any stadium concerts in Europe before this year. Only recently they've played at legendary European venues like Wembley, supporting Metallica. And maybe even you know what happened there.

And fuck it, who cares. I already told you that they've played shitty gigs at Tavastia, aswell as amazing gigs at the same place. Maybe Ville is fucked up because he is sober at the moment. Maybe the Project Revolution tour sucks. Maybe he'd rather be at Lost & Found downing some beers with some Jägermeister on the side.

when did HIM play madison square garden? i dont remember that

He was completetly trashed at the bowery show in NY, which was in the paper and went down as ""the worst HIM show of all time" i also met them that night and ville just kept apologizing...come on you guys remember...ville just gave the mic away during fuineral of hearts, he kept throwing beers which landed on linde's amps  haha...great show though

Haddonfield

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »
Still can't beat CKY when Deron threw his guitar, blew everyone off and walked off stage. hahaha

Offline Amourder

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 03:30:24 PM »
when did HIM play madison square garden? i dont remember that

He was completetly trashed at the bowery show in NY

Yeah, I meant the Bowery gig. Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:32:40 PM by Amourder »

Offline Carru

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »
Everytime I've seen them they've been top notch, In the UK that is,
But I travelled over to montreal when they did their show their 2 years back and ville just seemed pissy towards everyone, and didn't have anything to do with the crowd.
I think its good when hes a little sauced, loosens his perfromance up, and makes great banter too!!!
Genius Is Born, Not Payed

Offline TheHeartless

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 05:41:52 AM »
I'm willing to bet it's related to the set list.  I've seen them 4 times now and, with the exception of Dark Light material, it has not changed much.  I'm sure he's sick as fuck of a lot of the songs, not to mention Join Me which the band have admitted to not enjoying anymore.  It's understandable, but the obvious solution?playing other shit?doesn't seem to happen and I'm willing to bet it's because the band is worried that American (or Euro, too?) audiences will not enjoy songs from GLSv666 or Deep Shadows as much.  Which is bullshit : )

Offline ironduke

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2007, 04:31:41 PM »
Maybe thats because of his best friend's suicide

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 04:37:59 PM »
They won't play much of GLS cos Ville thinks the songs suck now, and they don't play DSBH because of the terrible time they had recording and mixing that album. The band nearly broke up during that era.
I agree, Ville just doesn't seem like he enjoys what he's doing. I think he enjoys writing and recording, not so much playing live. I think it also has to do with him feeling the need to be perfect on stage. Nearly every time I've seen them Ville is always yelling at stage hands and tech people to adjust stuff. I think he's just concentrating too hard up there nowadays as opposed to just having fun.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline Vix

• Everything's fucked, just look around
  • Picciotto
  • Personal Text
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
Maybe thats because of his best friend's suicide

Okay now that you mention that, um was his name Jonathan or something Darling666? I remember seeing on the heartagram forums, they were all like "RIP Darling666", and then my friend gave me a huge Dark Light poster, and she said Ville and his friend worked on this, and i asked what happened to him, and her reply was "Im just going to say he had a heartattack". So i don't know, i hope one of you guys can clear me up. I would ask in the heartagram forum but im sure they will be all anal about it. Some of might be here too, but i feel more at ease here than there.

Offline Carru

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »
Well I reckon we should all wait until we see them on tour this coming month, then we can start making judgements.

Offline Crimmins

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2007, 02:09:08 PM »
yeah i think they play better when theyre headlining

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2007, 02:13:45 PM »
He was a musician in California, and he hung out with the band alot while they were making Dark Light. That's about as much as I know.
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline Carru

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »
I don't see why a suicide would make it harder to perform,
maybe performing the dark light songs, but why the whole performance.

Offline samheartagram

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2007, 02:48:06 PM »
i've only seem HIM once but i  do personally believe ... that.. hehe that ville was really into it. i want to see them again.

Offline sylvie

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »
he wants to be an intellectual and he's stuck in a band.

Offline Ulalume

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 12:37:37 AM »
I don?t think that Ville?s apparent ?ennui? on the Projekt Revolution tour was due to it being in the U. S. I think it?s just the fact that he didn?t enjoy playing in the middle of fucking day, with a seemingly rushed set, with lame fucking bands. Also, I think Ville has said once that he?d rather play a few small club gigs in a row rather than play one arena-sized venue. Personally, I think this whole projekt revolution thing was something their label fucked them into, so I think that could be part of the reason as well. 

Offline Lifer81

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2007, 10:48:10 AM »
Im not sure if im correct here. But I do remember reading that the 2nd night of 2 nights at Irving Plaza in NYC, I think in 04, or 05 (there 2nd us tour, before DL was released) that he was obliterated drunk and the show was unwatchable.  I was at the first of the two and it was amazing. When was the bowery show played, or was it that Irving Plaza show? Either way, Ive seen them 4 times, first time being in Jersey at Starland ballroom last show of the 1st US tour. That was great. But there have been times where its like pulling teeth to get Ville into it. Run around do somthing, Fuck with the crow. Act like the rockstar you really are. WE will appreciate it. trust me

Offline ironduke

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 04:30:50 PM »
At the previous UK tour they have promissed to make an interview with the bilboard magazine and after the concert only Ville came to the interview as he promised. Other members quickly went out to the airport back home. The interview was also in a dark mood. Also in the concert they were like they are lost in somewhere fay beyond.

Offline Grim

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »
HIM in general are a boring band live, like they sound great and shit but no one moves around much

WTF? HIM's awesome
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 02:00:40 PM by cahimagic »

Offline Vpr616

• I gave up long ago
  • Mobbed Up
  • All dreams are of you my Venus Doom
    • Heartagram616
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 02:14:26 PM »
HIM WAS awesome live to year 2003. But they were best in 2000 - look at Gurten Festival, New Pop, Garage, or Berlin. They rocked!
For my name is sorrow and I'm a friend of misery
I deprived myself of love for eternal agony
And I don't even dare to try - I know I can only lose
Between this life I live and nothing I have to choose

Offline monkeyboy32

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2007, 12:35:03 AM »
I think Ville does enjoy playing live, but keep in mind that he just recently spent time at promises getting sober so maybe the alcohol consumption and the following first few months of sobriety was taking its toll not only on his physical self but his mental and emotional health as well.

Offline ironduke

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2007, 06:38:22 AM »
They are always fantastic at Tavastia

Offline vampireheart

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:23 PM »
since 2004 that they are boring on stage... but it's Ville's style..we cant change it... if they keep going with a good sound, its ok...

Offline livewire625

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2007, 02:07:01 AM »
Sometimes when things like this hapen...

http://www.youtube.com/v/1OOgLgYVg1Y

touring isn't enjoyable.

:( That is just terrible. for ANY band. I honestly NEVER boo bands because I dont like them. They are up there doing what they love, and its not my place to judge them, and make them feel like crap.

Offline black_jack

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 05:52:24 AM »
I thing they have a great live presence but they really need a break to produce energy