Author Topic: Is it me or does Ville not enjoy playing?  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Otacon132

Is it me or does Ville not enjoy playing?
« on: August 12, 2007, 03:18:24 AM »
I have seen HIM perform twice so far, back in their last US tour, and just last night in the Projekt Revolution tour.

I have so many live clips and video's that i have watched, and in all of them Ville looks so into the music, and putting his twists to the songs, and i just love pumping up my speakers and making it seem im there - this is the 2nd time i see them and ville does get into it like he does in what ive seen. I dont know if its cause he is tired or that that maybe it wasnt "HIM's" concert, but i honestly think its the fact he is playing in the US. I have a feeling, at least Ville, does not enjoy performing in the US.

Id love to go to a show in Europe, more specifically Finland, i bet that would be such an energetic show.

What are you're guy's thoughts?

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
  • I love my Sacrament sweethearts! :-)
Re: Is it me or does Ville not enjoy playing?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:25:50 AM »
Keep in mind they tour alot. He needs a break, we all know that.
They went from tour, to studio, back to touring.

The guys need a break.

Offline ForAllTid

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:47:59 AM »
HIM in general are a boring band live, like they sound great and shit but no one moves around much

Offline province

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:39:39 AM »
Id love to go to a show in Europe, more specifically Finland, i bet that would be such an energetic show.

It probably wouldn't, though. The shows in Europe and in Finland aren't really that different. The annual gig on NYE may have some kind of "special vibe" to it since it's a tradition and the club's packed with their friends and families but other than that, I'd say they're all the same.

It's the mood of the band that counts, not the country they're in.

Haddonfield

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 06:13:08 PM »
I've always wanted to go to Tavaistia Club for new years. It's pretty much a life goal.
as soon as I turn 18, it's going to be a priority when free money left over from college appears.

Offline loveslastbreath

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:30 PM »
i remeber reading a while back in some inerview tht ville hates youring the states because its a pain in the ass i'll try n find the article

Offline province

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »
...it's a pain in the ass because of the distances. Doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy playing shows there. :)

Offline Amourder

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »
I have a feeling, at least Ville, does not enjoy performing in the US.

I've seen HIM perform twice at Tavastia on a New Year's Eve, a couple years ago.
The first time was amazing, but the second time Ville seemed very tired, like lacking the energy to pull out a great concert.
I think what happens with Ville in the US, is that as the venues grow bigger all the time, he needs a little getting used to the pressure. I'm quite sure it's only about nervousness and not about him "not enjoying performing in the US". As far as i've understood, getting to perform at big arenas and stadiums in the US is one of their dreams, so it can't be that he doesn't enjoy it.
It must be quite difficult to go from clubs of <1000 to stadiums of tens of thousands of people...

Offline HRebelIYellM

• Mobbed Up
  • "My heaven is wherever you are"
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
Sometimes when things like this hapen...

http://www.youtube.com/v/1OOgLgYVg1Y

touring isn't enjoyable.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:43:20 PM by HRebelIYellM »

Offline loveslastbreath

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »
...it's a pain in the ass because of the distances. Doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy playing shows there. :)

yah but it could make them tired resulting in bad shows :)

Haddonfield

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 04:08:33 PM »

I've seen HIM perform twice at Tavastia on a New Year's Eve, a couple years ago.
The first time was amazing, but the second time Ville seemed very tired, like lacking the energy to pull out a great concert.
I think what happens with Ville in the US, is that as the venues grow bigger all the time, he needs a little getting used to the pressure. I'm quite sure it's only about nervousness and not about him "not enjoying performing in the US". As far as i've understood, getting to perform at big arenas and stadiums in the US is one of their dreams, so it can't be that he doesn't enjoy it.
It must be quite difficult to go from clubs of <1000 to stadiums of tens of thousands of people...

ummmm
no, you're wrong. completely in fact.
Some of their best shows have been in front of 60,000-100,000 people at festivals in europe.
Nothing in America compares to what they've done in Europe. They just play a shitload of shows in the US. In Europe they pop out maybe 10 at most, US is usually pushing 20 shows a tour after the 04 tour.

Offline LonelyRoad

• Goodfella
  • Associate
  • get sick!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
he just doesnt like performing when your there.

Haddonfield

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 04:16:42 PM »
*nods*
you suck pretty much.
lol  ;)

Offline Jay

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
In my opinion, they are hit or miss.  When I saw them last week, Mige and Ville were joking with each other a lot.  Even Linde broke from his usual oblivious stare and made faces at Burton, but Ville didn't really bother to get the crowd into it.  Gas still appears to be appreciative of the crowd and is usually the last one off the stage.

I don't think that it's Ville doesn't enjoy it, after all, it's his life.

I think a real break would benefit them all, not a "let's break from touring but make a new record in the meantime" which is the cycle they've been on for a while now.

Haddonfield

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »
Gas still appears to be appreciative of the crowd and is usually the last one off the stage.

lol is that because of appreciation or the 300+ he's lugging? haha i love my gas.

Offline Jay

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
Haha, well...I don't know...maybe it's both!  Most guys have water & beer by their set ups, Gas has Whoppers (no onions) by his.  My favorite thing last year was Linde swigging Jagermeister, then swigging Red Bull and swishing it all together during a bass solo.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 05:31:20 PM by Jay »

Haddonfield

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
My favorite moment was from '05 when our boy was drunk and kept knocking his stand back, one of the times which landed on linde's floor set up hahahaha
and then he talked about how the white sox and american sports in general suck

Offline Amourder

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 09:05:40 PM »

ummmm
no, you're wrong. completely in fact.
Some of their best shows have been in front of 60,000-100,000 people at festivals in europe.
Nothing in America compares to what they've done in Europe. They just play a shitload of shows in the US. In Europe they pop out maybe 10 at most, US is usually pushing 20 shows a tour after the 04 tour.

If you really knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Ville was completely wasted on alcohol while performing for the first time at the Bowery Ballroom, because he was completely unnerved because of the importance of the situation.
America is the place you have to conquer if you want some relevance in the international music scene, so playing a gig for 60.000 in America is more important than playing a gig for 60.000 in Europe, in that sense.
And again, they've played big FESTIVALS in the past in Europe, but never a tour like Projekt Revolution, and definitely haven't played any stadium concerts in Europe before this year. Only recently they've played at legendary European venues like Wembley, supporting Metallica. And maybe even you know what happened there.

And fuck it, who cares. I already told you that they've played shitty gigs at Tavastia, aswell as amazing gigs at the same place. Maybe Ville is fucked up because he is sober at the moment. Maybe the Project Revolution tour sucks. Maybe he'd rather be at Lost & Found downing some beers with some Jägermeister on the side.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:31:34 PM by Amourder »

Gemma

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
In my opinion, they are hit or miss.

Agreed with Jay, I've seen them four times in venues of various capassity and the size of the audiences never seem to be the issue, the first gig was great he seemed involved and up for it, the second was a wash out under the guise of a "sore throat" but the throat sounded fine he just looked...well for want of a better word...bored.

the third was probably one of the best I've seen, people have said "oh the sound quality wasn't great...blah blah" whatevs. Halloween 2004 was fucking epic. and the last gig I wanted to punch him right between the fucking eyes cause he sounded like complete shit, after half an hour of sounding vocally no better than a duck farting in the night and being too busy to actually entertain his fans instead choosing to spend half the gig hunched over making face love to the front row of kerrang! photographers.
sometimes he comes across as if he really couldn't be bothered one way or the other.

in short you pays your money you takes your chances. he does seem to try harder if its something reasonably important, like tavastia shows, or halloween gigs, something people expect high standards at but although the rest of the band always seem to be 100% what you want to hear he's a 50/50 vocalist live a lot of the time and only a 100% when he really wants to be.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:00:58 PM by Novelty »

Offline RaKoHaMMaS

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
I've see them only once but it was shitty too.

I even heard him better on the mp3 bootleg ( i found sometime after ) than there @ coliseum.

They just aren't great live.
That's something we've got to deal with.

Offline love_metal_bassist

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 10:56:36 PM »
if he didn't like playing...then he wouldn't still be doing it

Offline Irena

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:42 PM »
if he didn't like playing...then he wouldn't still be doing it

+1

Offline Vix

• Everything's fucked, just look around
  • Picciotto
  • Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 04:07:07 PM »
That video breaks my heart  :'(

Offline Weemo

• Mobbed Up
  • Um, Where In God's Name is Weemo?
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 11:25:18 AM »
They just aren't great live anymore.
Fixed for truth. They've gotten a bit lazy. Or at least Ville has.

Offline ZomB

• The Rebel
  • Made Man
  • a lil' bit country & a lil' bit rock 'n' roll
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 01:08:27 PM »
ive seen them like 10 times...recently at the projekt revolution tour. Ville was not into AT ALL. in my opinion, its because theyre not headlining their own show...its different. and yes, i dont doubt they need a break. PLEASE TAKE ONE. theyve sold their souls to warners...they have to play shitty concerts...i wouldnt be a happy ville either. not unless it was MY show. make sense? im still drunk from last night. hah!  8)