Author Topic: Interview Regarding Metallica Tour  (Read 2834 times)

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
Interview Regarding Metallica Tour
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »
There is a new interview with Ville and Burton regarding from what I can make out the recent tour with Metallica. If someone can maybe translate or give us some sort of idea of what is going on here I would be grateful.

Thanks.

http://viihde.mtv3.fi/videot/index.shtml/uusimmat/musiikki/?2007/7/104242

Offline dan666

• Associate
  • Join Me In Death
Re: Interview Regarding Metallica Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
would be really interested to know what hes saying
because i went!!!!!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline jeanett

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
Finish is such a beatuiful language! but  :'( I don't understand it...
but it sounded like they where talking a little bit about some tour or something in the UK and later on about Metalica fans beeing critical to them.. some places...
but I could be wrong

Offline province

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:12:27 PM »
I'm sure someone's already posted a translation on some of the other forums but, since I haven't posted anything here in ages... Here's a little summary -

According to Ville it's hard to say whether people at Wembley liked them or not. Some did, some didn't. He found it rude and offensive that the Finnish press falsely implied that bottles were thrown at them since bottles aren't even allowed at the arena. The news apparently scared his mom and dad. Burton says it was actually a banana and that in a way it was appropriate since they are like monkeys anyway. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't catch it and therefore missed his dinner. (Ville hints that Burton later found the banana and stuck it in his pants, to which Burton replies with a laugh and a "Yeah of course")

Ville says it's a rather ungrateful situation to open up for a band since the audience has bought their tickets to see the headliner. They're the support act and they're supposed to warm the audience up with their love metal. But since it's not their own gig and they're playing at daylight, it's not very flattering for them. Burton is quick to point out, though, that part of the audience did indeed get heated during their set, so in a sense they fulfilled their mission. Ville thinks supporting Metallica was a nice experience since he's been listening to them since he was a kid. He thought it was a funny incident to sit at the local bar and call up promoter Tiina Vuorinen and ask whether they'd get to play at the Olympic Stadium [in Finland]. Two hours later he got a call from Tiina asking if they'd want to play Wembley as well. Ville says that probably the hardest thing was not being able to smoke anywhere at the arena. But it didn't affect the gig because you can't be that self-centered.

The interviewer asks what their views are on HIM and Metallica supposedly not fitting on the same bill on the same night, as the Swedish press claimed. Ville says it's difficult to say how HIM, Popeda and Neljä Ruusua fit the same bill [at the Miljoonarock festival where they played on Friday]. But opinions are like assholes and everyone's got one. This was an idea they tried out and they're enjoying what they've accomplished so far. In the end, they couldn't care less about the critics but rather the opportunity to play in front of that many people. If there are 50,000 people in the audience then perhaps 10,000 of them might actually like what they do. That's the whole point - doing promotion, letting people know that a band called HIM exists and that they're releasing a new album in September.

Offline dan666

• Associate
  • Join Me In Death
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
cool thanks
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline jeanett

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:48:40 PM »
fine.. I was far away from that...
but I agree on that HIM and metalica not fithing..

I hate Norwegian metalica fans >:(
they are disrespectful assholes

Offline province

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:12:50 PM »
Well if it makes you feel any better, the gig in Oslo was apparently Ville's favorite gig of the bunch. :) He didn't say why, though. May have been the best performance on their part, I don't know.

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »
I'm sure someone's already posted a translation on some of the other forums but, since I haven't posted anything here in ages... Here's a little summary -

According to Ville it's hard to say whether people at Wembley liked them or not. Some did, some didn't. He found it rude and offensive that the Finnish press falsely implied that bottles were thrown at them since bottles aren't even allowed at the arena. The news apparently scared his mom and dad. Burton says it was actually a banana and that in a way it was appropriate since they are like monkeys anyway. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't catch it and therefore missed his dinner. (Ville hints that Burton later found the banana and stuck it in his pants, to which Burton replies with a laugh and a "Yeah of course")

Ville says it's a rather ungrateful situation to open up for a band since the audience has bought their tickets to see the headliner. They're the support act and they're supposed to warm the audience up with their love metal. But since it's not their own gig and they're playing at daylight, it's not very flattering for them. Burton is quick to point out, though, that part of the audience did indeed get heated during their set, so in a sense they fulfilled their mission. Ville thinks supporting Metallica was a nice experience since he's been listening to them since he was a kid. He thought it was a funny incident to sit at the local bar and call up promoter Tiina Vuorinen and ask whether they'd get to play at the Olympic Stadium [in Finland]. Two hours later he got a call from Tiina asking if they'd want to play Wembley as well. Ville says that probably the hardest thing was not being able to smoke anywhere at the arena. But it didn't affect the gig because you can't be that self-centered.

The interviewer asks what their views are on HIM and Metallica supposedly not fitting on the same bill on the same night, as the Swedish press claimed. Ville says it's difficult to say how HIM, Popeda and Neljä Ruusua fit the same bill [at the Miljoonarock festival where they played on Friday]. But opinions are like assholes and everyone's got one. This was an idea they tried out and they're enjoying what they've accomplished so far. In the end, they couldn't care less about the critics but rather the opportunity to play in front of that many people. If there are 50,000 people in the audience then perhaps 10,000 of them might actually like what they do. That's the whole point - doing promotion, letting people know that a band called HIM exists and that they're releasing a new album in September.

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that.

Pretty much what we expect of the lads.

Karma added  :)

Offline Tauriainen

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
I hate Norwegian metalica fans >:(
they are disrespectful assholes
Nah, being blunt honest is better than to hide from the truth.
I give them a lot of respect because if you are trying to be a nice guy/ critic you find that you don't really give your material what you felt.

Russian and Japanese are too humble to be honest, they critic you as a general band not as a whole. Which is not bad, but when you want the truth; it isn't for what you come to those guys for.

It was indeed sad the method the band has to play through, I mean to go and discover (for those who do not have internet access ) that Apocalyptica left that show for personal ideas/ reasons leaves you with a bitter taste.

It does strike me as odd, that Ville being that Rich is not willing to pay for the Ticket. Slash did it for some Europe dates and he simply paid after the show, even than he said that he continued smoking as leaving the place.

Offline Mat1az

• Picciotto
  • I unlit the light to embrace the dark
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 04:44:25 AM »
Apocalyptica left the show, what?

I must have been sleepling for the kast weeks? What is that all about?

Offline RaKoHaMMaS

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:03:04 PM »
At least he reacts with humor to what happened.  ;D

Offline Zhivago

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
How did I miss this? Thanks for the translation.

Offline eairthrow

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »
Oh, thank you! I missed it too!
I'm fine but I hear those voices at night...

Offline redeemer691

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 10:27:48 PM »
hmm will i love HIM and metal;lica that shit pissed me off when i saw those gay kids making fun of them but w.e they just listen to what the ppl at MTV tell them so w.e

Offline Carru

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 09:14:05 AM »
Its no big deal, you get assholes everywere, and it just so happens the fans at that show that day didnt like HIM, just like at download last year, some people didnt want them there, now if the fans are childish enough to do conga lines and flip the band off, then thats fine, cause at the end of the day, HIM did there job, and the fans are still assholes.
we'll just have to give them a run for their money when metallica open for HIM one day :P
Genius Is Born, Not Payed

Offline Amourder

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »
At least the majority of finnish Metallica fans are teenaged rednecks who have no clue whatsoever regarding music in general and rock music in particular. And it's not hard to understand, as Metallica hasn't created anything unique or inspiring since the death of Cliff Burton. Stupid ass trailer trash macho bravado and some nifty cover songs seem to be enough to fuel the fire of these teenage orcs with too many pimples to get laid. 
HIM is MUCH more interesting in terms of sheer musical talent and in the sense of reinventing themselves (and the genre they defined) in a succesful way.

HIM is so popular in Finland that they should start headlining their own stadium concerts in Helsinki. Fuck Metallica and their dumb-as-fuck fans.

/rant. Now throw me a banana.  :P

Offline Otacon132

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »
Fuck Metallica and their dumb-as-fuck fans.

=\ putting down the fans of a certain band is what causes things like the metallica concert o_O

why cant all genre's just get along? (except rap...definitely not rap!)

Offline Amourder

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
Fuck Metallica and their dumb-as-fuck fans.

=\ putting down the fans of a certain band is what causes things like the metallica concert o_O

why cant all genre's just get along? (except rap...definitely not rap!)

Lol @ the rap comment. You are right. Sorry, just had to vent a little.

Offline Vix

• Everything's fucked, just look around
  • Picciotto
  • Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 11:01:09 AM »
Speaking of rap, sorry if this seems piss people off since this is a metallica thread.
I kind of understand why Rap 'artists' speak the way they do in their music.
They aren't intellectual beings, and if they spoke intellectually about their 'baby-mamas, hoes" i dont think they would sell. Kinda know what I'm saying? Not all Rap Artists do. I do hate Kanye West.

Offline Carru

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »
lol, I totally get what you mean,
if rappers started speaking with posh british accents, I really do think that'd damage their 'street cred'.
So no I really don't blame them, to be fair, if I got millions for singing about pointless crap and speaking with a vocabulary of a 2 yr old. then yeah, i'd consider it. lol
Genius Is Born, Not Payed

Offline Vix

• Everything's fucked, just look around
  • Picciotto
  • Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 05:16:08 PM »
what they do gets them their money.