Author Topic: Venus Doom Thread  (Read 128552 times)

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
Re: Venus Doom Thread
« Reply #750 on: July 28, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »
Kiss Of Dawn - 3/5: I don't like the tempo change towards the very end (is still present, even on the "unwarped" version).

I don't think there is a tempo change.  It's more likely our minds playing with us because we were so religiously listening to the "warped" version when it came to the net.  ;D

Offline 666_HIMPRIDE_666

• Cafone
  • A Drop Of Blood Tastes Like Wine Today
« Reply #751 on: July 28, 2007, 02:41:46 PM »
Kiss Of Dawn - 3/5: I don't like the tempo change towards the very end (is still present, even on the "unwarped" version).

I don't think there is a tempo change.  It's more likely our minds playing with us because we were so religiously listening to the "warped" version when it came to the net.  ;D
Indeed :)

Offline Devilish330

« Reply #752 on: July 28, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »
I just ordered the black book and special edition Venus Doom. 

I ordered them days ago...and I  may have ordered more than one of each version ::)

• Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #753 on: July 28, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »
i really like them all at this time

Yeah I am the same with this.  I have been hoping this album would be better than the last, I just felt the last album was a bit samey and bland.  By comparing the three songs I heard from DL pre release and these ones from VD I got this...

Vampire Heart
Killing Loneliness
Wings Of A Butterfly

Venus Doom
Kiss Of Dawn
Passion's Killing Floor

I pretty much prefer all three of the new songs over the ones from Dark Light.  I would say in comparison the only way in which old provails over new is that Vampire Heart is better than Kiss Of Dawn.  In every other situation the new songs are sounding better, so I am really hopeful now.

Offline Crimmins

« Reply #754 on: July 29, 2007, 03:53:09 AM »
that's a great way to put it into perspective, i totally agree, i think the 3 from VD are way better than all those

Offline dan666

• Associate
  • Join Me In Death
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2007, 06:13:26 AM »
that's a great way to put it into perspective, i totally agree, i think the 3 from VD are way better than all those

same here  :)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Offline Davidson955

« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »
agree totally....

Offline HIM-Circa2000

• Picciotto
  • 'Im super Cool!
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »
Mt thoughts.

PKF - 5/5 Great song, Great Lyrics.

Kiss of dawn 5/5.. I dunno.. I just love this song.

Venus Doom/ 1.5/5.. This song sucks. no shining moments for me.

Love in cold blood 1/5... bad also... too pop ish...

Might grow on me. I dunno

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #758 on: July 29, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »
Since everyone else is doing it, might as well jump off the bridge too!

1. Passion's Killing Floor - 4/5 I really like the song, it's catchy as hell. I just don't like the opening. Something about it, perhaps that it seems a bit too slow compared to the rest of the song. Once it gets to the verse though it kicks into high gear and doesn't let up. I LOVE the slow breakdown after the second chorus. I'd hoped that the album version would expand that a bit but it seems that this is the album version, and not an edit. Oh well, maybe the remix will remedy that...

2. Kiss Of Dawn - 4/5 As with PKF, I love this song, but there's just something about it that bothers me. It feels as if the song is being rushed through. It could just be that  this is the radio edit, and the album version will sound better to me. The chorus is very beautiful, and the song in general exhibits more mature lyrics than anything on Dark Light. With DL it seemed like Ville was trying too hard to sound different than previous albums and it backfired. Here he is genuine, and it shows. Linde's guitar solo kicks all sorts of ass, although it seems artifically shortend. An extra 5 seconds would have gone a long way. As long as the song is, it seems short. Thankfully the album version is nearly 6 minutes long. Can't wait to hear that!

3. Venus Doom - 5/5 When I first heard VD, I was driving to work at 7am. I hated it. I didn't like how it sounded like St. Anger at the start and how different Ville's vocals sounded. But during the day the melody of the chorus kept popping into my head. By the time I was able to leave work the first thing I did was listen to the song again. I fell in love with it. The lyrics really struck a chord with me, and I found that I could not get the chrous out of my head. The band seems to make more of an effort to expand their sound on this song. It's harder and more aggressive than the others we've heard so far and the vocals are mixed differently than we've ever heard before. This is the song, to me, that represents HIM's past, present and (hopefully) future. A great departure from the previous title track song, Dark Light. DL is, to this day, the only HIM song that I cannot listen to.

4. Dead Lover's Lane - 4/5 DLL is a song that I can't seem to come to a complete decision on. I'm basing this "review" off the GIAN and Millionrock live versions on youtube, so it's really hard to rate lyrics. The feel that I get from the song is that it's a mismash of PKF, The Sacrament and Soul on Fire. I really like the piano part towards the end, and the overall melody which is really fucking catchy. I desperatly want to love the album version of this song.

These, along with the snippets of Love in Cold Blood and Bleed Well that we've heard are really hyping me up for the album. I've not heard one song I don't like at all. With Dark Light I had reservations about multiple songs. I'm very interested to hear more of LICB, which to me sounds like the most Razorblade sounding song, and Bleed Well too even though I hate the name. And of course there is Sleepwalking Past Hope. The idea of a 10 minute HIM song (that isn't a long, drawn out remix) is exciting...and I LOVE the name.

EDIT: Holy crap that's a long message! Didn't think I went that long. Sorry guys!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 05:45:32 PM by Daedalus »
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline S. Carnage Esq.

• An Oil Man
  • Mobbed Up
  • Groovy
    • Twitter
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2007, 06:47:30 PM »
i really like them all at this time

Vampire Heart
Killing Loneliness
Wings Of A Butterfly

Venus Doom
Kiss Of Dawn
Passion's Killing Floor

I still consider the first versions of Vampire Heart and Killing Loneliness from Rock AM Ring 2005 the best versions of those songs. The studio Vampire Heart wasn't nearly as good, and every live version of Killing Loneliness hasn't had that kind of grit to it.

As for the new songs:

Venus Doom (3/5):
The beginning of it sounds like a Cathedral song, then out of no where it goes right into a soft piano-based verse. The Black Sabbath-esque bridge is also very cool.

Passion's Killing Floor (4/5):
I'm really into this song for whatever reason. It is somewhat reminiscent of Dark Light, but at the same time it feels newer, and much darker. The lyrics are also very close to my heart at the moment.

Kiss Of Dawn (2/5):
I just can't seem to get into this. It's not a bad song, but at the same time there just aren't any spectacular moments that blow me away. Not a bad filler track I suppose, but a poor choice for a single.

I'm not going to review Dead Lover's Lane or Love In Cold Blood seeing as I haven't heard the full songs. DLL has a cool solo, and LICB is definitely catchy, but both are a little too much like Dark Light for my taste.

• Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #760 on: July 29, 2007, 07:30:24 PM »

I still consider the first versions of Vampire Heart and Killing Loneliness from Rock AM Ring 2005 the best versions of those songs. The studio Vampire Heart wasn't nearly as good, and every live version of Killing Loneliness hasn't had that kind of grit to it.

Totally agree, I was so let down when the mixing of the album turned out to be more bland, toned down.

Hearing those tracks live originally I was like "Wow, this album is gonna be awesome".  When you hear those songs live even now they sound much more raw than the record.

I think the Venus Doom mixing has a more edgier sound to it.  Obvious it's not like the GLSV666 or even Razorblade days but it is definately more rough.

Offline S. Carnage Esq.

• An Oil Man
  • Mobbed Up
  • Groovy
    • Twitter
« Reply #761 on: July 30, 2007, 12:33:42 AM »
Well to be fair "Razorblade Romance" really wasn't that much darker or girtty, it just had a dark 80's undertone to it. Nothing HIM had done before, or since has sounded quite like that album.

I always found there were kind of three different HIM sounds. I thought that Greatest Love Songs and Love Metal were much of the same vibe, although GLS666 was grittier and less structured. Razorblade Romance obviously has a sound all its own, and one can really see that by listening to the live bootlegs of that era.

Then Deep Shadows & Brilliant Highlights, And Love Said No (although Solitary Man was very much a Love Metal song), and Dark Light all had the same poppy quality. Venus Doom has so far fit the bill of this sound, although parts of each song have hinted more toward the Love Metal sound.

Offline Alex

• HIM MANIA
  • Associate
  • In The Arms Of Rain
    • HIM MANIA
« Reply #762 on: July 30, 2007, 04:19:52 AM »

Yep I've always saying that...its so true...If i want to hear this song i just play Rock Am Ring 2005.

Offline Jack Sparrow

« Reply #763 on: July 30, 2007, 08:27:57 AM »

Well to be honest I think they "kinda" almost achieved the sound they wanted.   Of course you can tell that the songs are more guitar driven and the keyboarding fell flat.  Linde needs a little extra effort in making good guitar solos.   Great playing riffs though.     I like the way Gas hits the drums on VD choruses,  it gives that hard touch.

to this moment,  Kiss of Dawn is my favorite one.   The intro main riff is very rocking then the low voice and the mellow chorus.   A friend of mine that never heard HIM said after hearing the song:  they sound so heavy and that guy sings so low but the chorus is very beautiful and catchy!      hehehe they touched the string!

PKF is... mmmm I don't know.   I dont like the main riff, kinda reminds me of Wings of a butterfly, the verses are great,   the chorus is ok but it could be worked better with other lyrics.

Venus Doom is just awesome!   you hear that rocking intro and you never imagine how the melody is going to change in the verse and chorus.
Ville said:   heavy rocking riffs with mellow voice melodies.   Granted!

Of course they aren't even close to GLS 666 or RR.

But judging on this songs they make me want to buy the $50 limited edition of VD...    in fact,  I'm going there right now    :D

Cheers friends!

<<>So Before Life Tears Us Apart Let Death Bless Me With You<>>

• Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #764 on: July 30, 2007, 09:21:47 AM »
Well to be fair "Razorblade Romance" really wasn't that much darker or girtty, it just had a dark 80's undertone to it. Nothing HIM had done before, or since has sounded quite like that album.

I always found there were kind of three different HIM sounds. I thought that Greatest Love Songs and Love Metal were much of the same vibe, although GLS666 was grittier and less structured. Razorblade Romance obviously has a sound all its own, and one can really see that by listening to the live bootlegs of that era.

Then Deep Shadows & Brilliant Highlights, And Love Said No (although Solitary Man was very much a Love Metal song), and Dark Light all had the same poppy quality. Venus Doom has so far fit the bill of this sound, although parts of each song have hinted more toward the Love Metal sound.

Yeah agreed. I think thats where I was getting at, in my personal opinion I think every HIM album has its own qualities making it individual most specifically Razorblade.

HIM's sound was grittier in the past, due to the bands personal taste and such like but also due to the fact they didn't have the production values they did now.  When you have more paramaters to work with, the end product will always come out sounding different.

Part of me hears some Love Metal in the new album, part of me hears a faint GLSV666 in there, and I hear some Dark Light in there.  So basically I am looking at it as Dark Light with much more balls  :D

I don't know where VD fits in with all the current albums, maybe it doesn't.  Maybe this is yet another turning point for the HIM sound. Everytime a new song gets leaked I change my mind on all of this, I think the unreleased songs (such as Sleepwalking Past Hope) could prove to change my mind yet again on where HIM are going with VD.

Offline Veronica Rose

« Reply #765 on: July 30, 2007, 10:59:25 AM »
I am looking forward to hearing the songs that we haven't heard which I think are of the 10 minute variety.  It would seem to me that this is a transistion album as they appear to be midway between their original love metal sound and a more doom laden future which looks to be the direction Ville wants to head for being as he is a big doom fan. I certainly hope so although there is not much money in it and most doom bands do it for the love of the music which perhaps is becoming increasingly important to him. I am sure that Sire have a lot to do with the way the album has been mixed as all they are interested in is getting a return on their investment. I suspect that is why Tim Palmer was once more brought in as without him I think it would have been a lot heavier but what can you do when you are tied into a contract. Sometimes you have to lay down with the devil but hopefully if it is commercially successful they will be able to dictate how they want the next album to sound but on what I have heard so far it is infinitely better than Dark Light and I agree that live the songs do sound much heavier and therefore, for me personally, better.....

Offline TheSacramentIsYou

« Reply #766 on: August 01, 2007, 06:51:01 AM »
ok, are there anymore songs out, in full from the album, apart from PKF, KOD, and LICB (30 sec only) ??

Offline Jack Sparrow

« Reply #767 on: August 01, 2007, 08:02:26 AM »
ok, are there anymore songs out, in full from the album, apart from PKF, KOD, and LICB (30 sec only) ??

Yep,  Venus Doom (the song)  that its been in some radios in Finland.

;)
<<>So Before Life Tears Us Apart Let Death Bless Me With You<>>

Offline Len777

« Reply #768 on: August 01, 2007, 05:52:18 PM »
i think love in cold blood is gonna kick all of our asses. it reminds me of judas priest... venus doom radio edit sounds good but i wanna hear the album version cause it feels like something is missing well i know there is and  i think with it there the song will be completely awesome. dead lover's lane is the one that is really picking at my brain i can't figuer the lyrics out and half the ones you find on line from people i feel are very inaccurate, this song gets me pumped but also worries me i hope that it sounds as heavy on the album as it does live.

Offline Weemo

• Mobbed Up
  • Um, Where In God's Name is Weemo?
« Reply #769 on: August 01, 2007, 06:09:17 PM »
From which website is everybody purchasing the special edition of Venus Doom? Or preordering, rather.

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #770 on: August 01, 2007, 06:10:40 PM »
heartagram.com/venusdoom
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline Len777

« Reply #771 on: August 01, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »
New code on heartagram... bleed well.... you can hear cyanide sun... i can't get it to work for me though it says enjoy cyanide sun but it won't play for me

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
  • I love my Sacrament sweethearts! :-)
« Reply #772 on: August 01, 2007, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline Len777

« Reply #773 on: August 01, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »
god damnit i'm getting pissed this thing won't play for me can anyone rip it and put it up here for me??? :(

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
  • I love my Sacrament sweethearts! :-)
« Reply #774 on: August 01, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
Sure.