Author Topic: The olden days of HIM  (Read 11777 times)

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• ThIs WoRld Is GoNnA Br3aK YoUr HeArT!!!!
  • Mobbed Up
  • *YoUr PrEttY fAcE iS g0iNg To hEll*
    • Myspace
The olden days of HIM
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:01:50 AM »
I miss a time when HIM was not in Hot Topic and Emo kids adopted Valo as their heartbroken god. I don't even think they listen to the lyrics besides pain ahh heartbreak ahhh. Yes I am very happy they are successful. And I want them to keep going but I feel unfortunately for our society in the US, not many were mature enough to get the idea behind the music. And not just the image.  Americans tend to care more about image than the bands intents for their work of art. But I guess that is the price for fame every great band pays here. Do you guys remeber when amazon and ebay were the main ways to get HIM imports. I remember paying around 32 dollars for DSBH and then 14 dollars on top of that for shipping. Ha the god old days.

Offline Mat1az

• Picciotto
  • I unlit the light to embrace the dark
Re: The olden days of HIM
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:02:55 AM »
I know...

HIM was that band you listened to who allmost noby around you knew anything about. Now they are just everywhere. Guess that same thing is happening to the 69 Eyes...

Just following these simple rules
1. Go to the US
2. Make a cappy overproduced album
3. Get your videos playd on MTV (try getting a gig at TRL)
4. Make tons of stupid merch (pencils, clocks... ugly clothes?)

And woala! Now all stupid kids with no brains can walk around in hoodies wiht the bands logo and think they are so cool becose they saw the band on MTV...

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:17:19 AM »
Yeah it is a sad epidemic. The dumb youth that is. Mindless zombies not all but most. I am only 20 and I feel like  I don't belong with my peers. 

The worst part is everytime I wear something HIM 99% of the girls I run into are like wow is that an emo band. Or look theres BAM Margeras band. WTF!!!!!! I would like to know who sh*t in these peoples heads. Our beloved band is being marred aahhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jay

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
I found out about HIM through Bam, and I didn't even like the music.  I had downloaded everything they had available at the time (DS&BH had been out about a year, if that) to check them out, and aside from a few songs, I didn't like them.  About a month later I realized I hadn't listened to anything else but HIM and loved pretty much every song.

I remember buying Razorblade Romance for $15 on eBay because it was the cheapest, and it turned out to be a sealed digipak.  I'm just glad I don't have to spend $$ importing everything anymore, unless there's something I really want that's not available in the States.

Offline vtioldlde

• Associate
  • its been some time
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »
The worst part is everytime I wear something HIM 99% of the girls I run into are like wow is that an emo band. Or look theres BAM Margeras band. WTF!!!!!!
This is why my friend I do not wear ANY of  my HIM shit anymore.
As soon as I moved away from pittsburgh to allentown( ABOUT AN HOUR from where bam lives) I feel like it became a problem when I wore HIM shirts and all that jazz. Know I just wear other band shirts  and w/e but it makes me really sad that I can't wear my fav band shirts.

The Laundry Boyz 4 lyfe!
R.I.P John Scully

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
Yeah damn Bamtards and emo kids ahhh!!! I do agree with Jay I enjoy not having to import everything anymore. That is probably the onlt upside. Oh and meetign the few cool HIM fans I have ran into in Philly. So vtioldlde when did you move from Pittsburgh to Allentown? I moved to Philly in January I prob seen you back at all the HIM shows in the burgh. Making fun of all the girls wearing pink RR shirts and blue jean mini skirts. For anyone who was there remember when Valo came out of the side door at the old rock jungle in station square with two hooters girls from next door. And there were actually people goin who's that. Then me Todd aka crying kid and I believe this kid Corey ran over to the bus cause were the only ones who didn't suck and got shit signed.

Valo_love

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 01:43:38 PM »
i do agree that there are way to many fake him fans these days but to be honest if hot topic didnt seel the stuff iw ouldnt be able to get it...then id be sad but then on the other hand now ever tom dick and emo are out there wearing HIM stuff and not having a single clue to whats going on...that makes me sad too :'(

Offline Violet

• Meep.
  • Cafone
  • So....we met again Mr. Valo
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »
Now you know what I've been going though. Ok, so I'm a newib to HIM. But I've always been into Enoupe bands and older classic rock. There are few newer bands I listen to. My Mom and Dad were both in rocks bands growing up and if weren't for them I'd most likely have NO taste in music. When I first heard HIM I fell in love. I mean I just listened to the songs over and over. And went mad on a HIM hunt. I now have (almost) all there stuff, and I'm very proud to say I'm a HIM fan.

But I will NEVER stop wearing my HIM shirts or throw away my HIM drawing book. If people say I'm emo or a wannabe or a Bam fan. Who cares? I know I'm not. I've been made fun of all my life for wearing classic rock band-tees. People saying: "Oh! there old!" so why should something as little as some dumb kids who I don't care about what they think of me anything keep me from showing my suport of my fave band?

Althou it dose bother me when I try to talk to someone who's a 'HIM' fan my age....they're mindlesss emos who only care about the image. I love HIM because the lyics speak to me and the music is amazingy. Not because they're played on mtv....but because there a kick ass band and I love them!
*salutes*

Offline The Bloody Glove

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »
I remember when I was working at a Christian Camp for the summer

and I drew a small crapphy heartagram on my bookmark because I was reading a film book.

So the boss comes up to me on my break
and says

"who is the satanist"

after that I went on a 3 hour debate on why the heartagram is not a "PURE" satanic symbol and more of a ying and yang thing.

I payed 60 bucks for both DSBH and Greatest lovesongs

it was raining that day and it was my birthday
and I felt so happy

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 03:53:19 AM »
Awesome *looks at the Phantom Gate* You put that mmindless jerk in his place. haha.

Violet it seems you ar e one of the few people of my generation who seem to not be a complete airhead. *salutes to you*

On another positive note. . . I have a feeling with the new album alot of old fans will come out of the woodwork and the emo or poser whatever you call them will hopefully fade away. And move on to the next upcoming band. It is only a matter of time I feel before the trends change and HIM will be left to their true fans. I just hope they are not ever labeled as one of the trend bands. This is one of my fears.   :o     Uggghhhh!!!!! People and their mindless opinions of music they need to stay away from bands like HIM.

Offline Violet

• Meep.
  • Cafone
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 08:41:19 PM »
Thank you, and I toally agree.

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
You are welcome its always nice to find some smart youngins these days. This way I don't feel so alone. :D

Offline vtioldlde

• Associate
  • its been some time
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:51:13 AM »
Yeah damn Bamtards and emo kids ahhh!!! I do agree with Jay I enjoy not having to import everything anymore. That is probably the onlt upside. Oh and meetign the few cool HIM fans I have ran into in Philly. So vtioldlde when did you move from Pittsburgh to Allentown? I moved to Philly in January I prob seen you back at all the HIM shows in the burgh. Making fun of all the girls wearing pink RR shirts and blue jean mini skirts. For anyone who was there remember when Valo came out of the side door at the old rock jungle in station square with two hooters girls from next door. And there were actually people goin who's that. Then me Todd aka crying kid and I believe this kid Corey ran over to the bus cause were the only ones who didn't suck and got shit signed.
yea making fun of bitches was fun and crying for valo was sadd but i dont take it back being that I got to go to hooters with them. didnt know u where there honestly its all a blur from being so overwhelmed. OH and you know the little metal thing u had 2 jump over to get to the bus i did a face plant jumping over that lol didnt feal it until after i met valo.My actions at that show gave me a good and bad repp. Ppl knew i was a real HIM fan but also I did like cry so yea lol.
gas actually walked threw the line, bc he was wearing that pens jersey no one thought it was him but i knew it was!

The Laundry Boyz 4 lyfe!
R.I.P John Scully

Offline Violet

• Meep.
  • Cafone
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 03:35:36 AM »
WOw...thay sounds so cool. Who cares if you cried?

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
Yeah Todd I was messing with ya but it was funny at first. You know I still love ya though. And ouch a faceplant into that thing musta sucked. Damn I didn't see that. Just for that alone I woulda cried. Either way it was fun besides we all laughed and had fun the second show screaming with Mc.Fuck Remeber you climbed in the tree to look in the tour bus that was great.:)

Offline LonelyRoad

• Goodfella
  • Associate
  • get sick!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 02:13:21 PM »
remember when GLSV666 came out...

i do.

Gemma

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 12:25:29 AM »
Being as I'm not american I don't really get a lot of the reasoning for complaint, but I guess to a certain extent HIM have a teeny "we do it cause we read it was cool in kerrang!" fanbase in The united kingdom and Europe, who have no idea what they're waffling on about most of the time and if you really sat back and took a blind bit of notice you'd want to hit with a brick..but...

Bam margera isn't the fault of the easily lead teenager, people associate bam & HIM because someone let him through the backdoor and allowed him to take the substantial piss, these kids just happen to be impressionable enough to take one as being part of the other, but technically this is not their fault. yes they're stupid but the fault lies more so with the band.

they allowed their image to be miscontrued to the extent it has become, in the US with the crappy hottopic merch that is just purely trash for the most part but they put their name to it, and everyone knows [not soley american people] that hottopic is a trend store, although it carries musical merchandise it also allows teenage kids who have no idea about music to buy trend items on impulse and become part of a scene, either because they saw one song on trl and liked it, or because the kid who sits next to them in geography has a shirt just like it. technically they marred themselves, intentionally or not.

And regardless of personal preference, I don't think anyone has the right to say who is a true fan or isn't, I've come across plenty of kids who don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to anything about the band, but I don't think that means they must be a scenester, I assume newbie. I think its slightly narrowminded to assume anything else, [but again the climate with american fans and european is different, its more of an epidemic in the US]

Bands like HIM couldn't afford to exist if they didn't make crappy merchandise and get their videos played on TRL, in an internet generation where bands become huge overnight they'll always struggle unless they budge and allow themselves to do ill concieved marketing, it'd be glorious if they could stay loyal to the hardcore masses and not make all this shit and have to associate with some tit who goes round slapping his dad for tv, but would they even bother to make music if that were the case forever, its lovely to be adored, but its even nicer to be adored and earn money too. 

oh fuck why did I even write this shit. do I have nowt better to do when I'm half drunk at 5am. jeez.

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 12:41:23 AM »
I love you Gemma you know how to put things straight ^_^ *MUAH*

Offline Daedalus

• The Sac Hoarder
  • Hitman
  • Made Man
    • Heartagram Daily
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 08:31:25 AM »
Bravo, Gemma! Well said!
Come love me 'till it hurts, dance the neon noir with me.

Offline LonelyRoad

• Goodfella
  • Associate
  • get sick!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »
its gay cuz for the most part

hot topic doesnt even have anything to do with any bands they sell merch of...

they buy the designs and they get all the profit off of them

some things that are in there arent that way...

but most are

i hate corporate america...

and GAP.

Offline Violet

• Meep.
  • Cafone
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 11:34:56 PM »
I coul really care less about what other people are doing. I mean, I'm worried about the music. Dose the heartagram being eveywhere in hotopic have anything to do with the music? No. It could make them go more radio pop like DL which it some-what did, but that was what the band did.

But you know, most bands get shitty after there third or fourth alumb. Than they realize, "Hey, we may be getting fans now. But once the fadt goes away we'll be alone. Cause all our real fans said, fuck this shit and left." So I think that the guys in HIM are smart enough to realize this too.

Offline LonelyRoad

• Goodfella
  • Associate
  • get sick!
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »
did you see new album titles?

bleed well

passions killing floor

doubt that its gunna happen anytime soon

although i liked dark light...
but its just not the same.

Offline monkeyboy32

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »
I too found out about HIM through Mr. Margera and I fell in love with the band instantly.  I bought all the albums and immersed myself in them til I knew the words to each song forwards and backwards.  I dont own any other HIM merch. but it does distress me when I see poser assholes going into hot topic and buying a bunch of merch.  Next time you see someone doing that or wearing a him shirt or whatever strike up a conversation like I did and you'll see they generally know nothing of the bands music or songs.

Offline RAZORBLADEKISSES

• Mobbed Up
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 12:03:31 AM »
Tell me about it hen they feel stupid. Eventually you will see that same person weeks later denying they even knew who HIM was. Like whats a heartagram. I love making posers feel dumb ;D

Offline Violet

• Meep.
  • Cafone
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 12:41:07 AM »
did you see new album titles?

bleed well

passions killing floor

doubt that its gunna happen anytime soon

although i liked dark light...
but its just not the same.

Yes, I did. I just like to believe in my faveoite band. I really dosen't matter what the songs are called. The first time a friend of mine talked about HIM I thought it was one of the dumset bands names ever, but here I am. Don't jugde a book by it's cover. And please don't think I'm attacking you.