Author Topic: what got you hooked in the first place?  (Read 2404 times)

Offline red_riding_hood

• Cafone
  • lemon is my fav fruit
what got you hooked in the first place?
« on: October 25, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »
Hey any of you who are still accidentally using this site!

I'm a new HIM fan, actually just started listening to them like a week ago...(I know very painfully that I'm pretty late to the game...) I had obviously heard some songs from HIM before like Join Me and Right Here In my Arms, but somehow never wound up listening to their other works. Then I somehow ended up listening the Funeral of Hearts (oh, the acoustic version is heaven) and it was over for me. The charisma Ville excudes...Currently I'm binging all HIM and Ville content possible and cursing that I didn't realize to listen to HIM and him earlier...(especially since I'm a finn and had plenty of oppoturnities back in the day to get to hear them live).

Anyways, I'm just curious to heard what hooked you in the first place, was it a particular song, picture, video etc? I'd love to hear your stories if there are still any people left to use this site :D

Offline HelldoneFestival13

Re: what got you hooked in the first place?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 01:22:42 PM »
Everyone had to start somewhere with HIM.

I was in Poland for vacation in 2003, back then they had MTV (don't know if if it still exist) and they played The Sacrament music video every 1 or 2 hours (no kidding!). I was not really into music back then, but i liked the song more and more after hearing it again and again. Didn't had internet or smartphone (i was 14), so i tried to learn the lyrics so i could search the song when i got home. I found out the song, album and band. In 2005 was my first concert. After that... If it ain't HIM, i ain't listening it lol.

Offline red_riding_hood

• Cafone
  • lemon is my fav fruit
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
That's a cool way to get started with HIM!
I have a feeling that HIM is one of those bands that are life long companions...I have listened to HIM just few days over a week and I can honestly say I have never had an experience quite like this. I listen and have listened lots of music especially these past 10 years and own quite a few cds...Still this is the first time I feel this invested in a band's music, the lyrics, vibe, aesthetics and the band as a whole. And I'm literally just beginning! I am currently checking which stores have HIM's albums avalable. May the journey begin...

I really hope that HIM gets back together someday, may it be in a year or in twenty, even if it is for a celebration tour or something of the sorts...Til that day!

Offline DarkSecret666

• Associate
  • This is just the beginning of the end
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
Nice to see some life here :D I could say that HIM is a life long thing for me haha. I'll tell how I got hooked... I was maybe 3 years old when my older brother handed his headphones over to me and played me a few songs from the And Love Said No compilation with his Sony CD Walkman. That moment was when I became a fan.

Thanks to HIM I got into music on the first place, started learning the guitar etc. I got to meet the guys once... one of my top moments for sure. I also hope for them to return, but I guess it won't be so soon.

Have a great time w/ HIM! + Esim. Levykauppa Äxästä, Huuto.netistä ja Torista löytyy aika hyvin levyjä ;)

Offline red_riding_hood

• Cafone
  • lemon is my fav fruit
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
I wish I had an early on introduction to HIM like you had :D And it's great to have someone else you know to be a fan. Also hoping to get to see them live at least once in my lifetime! We'll see...
And thanks for the recommendations, just today I snatched couple of cd's from levykauppa äx!

Offline Night Shade

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
Hi red_riding-hood, it's nice to meet you.  :)  I got hooked on HIM pretty late in the game too.  I first saw them on a video channel called The Cool TV.  They played the video for Killing Loneliness, and it was love at first hearing!  ;D  I get how you feel about wishing you had gotten into them earlier - I alway think of all the HIM goodness I missed out on!  :'(
"I can barely conceive of a type of beauty in which there is no Melancholy" - Charles Baudelaire

Offline red_riding_hood

• Cafone
  • lemon is my fav fruit
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:15:54 PM »
Hi red_riding-hood, it's nice to meet you.  :)  I got hooked on HIM pretty late in the game too.  I first saw them on a video channel called The Cool TV.  They played the video for Killing Loneliness, and it was love at first hearing!  ;D  I get how you feel about wishing you had gotten into them earlier - I alway think of all the HIM goodness I missed out on!  :'(

Good to know I'm not the only one one the late train! :D I wish this site was more active but it's quite understandable that now that the band has broken up and there is little new material and so the conversation goes slow...also these kind of sites are quite rare nowadays I quess, since all the oher social media has taken over. In that sense we are quite lucky to be fans on this time, since we can find pretty much all the available songs, pics, videos, interviews, news and so on so fast! My Pinterest has never been this popping now that I got hooked to the aesthetic that is Ville Valo XD
Anyways great hearing your introduction to HIM! :)

Offline Inferno

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 08:51:56 PM »
The CKY3 movie was the first time I discovered HIM. One listen to RHIMA and I was immediately hooked.
~*' Love Is Only The Anticipation Of The Emotions You're Addicted To '*~
[/

Offline SIRJARVIS01

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 12:47:00 AM »
Back in 2005, Dark Light was released.  I was in 8th grade and a friend asked me to download the album and burn it on a CD. back in the day Limewire was THE place for music so the first place I checked was there...the first song I downloaded was Vampire Heart and I ended up downloading a live version because I couldn't get the album version,  the same for Killing Loneliness.  The rest of the album I was able to find no problem and couldn't believe it was only one singer lol. After downloading Dark light, I listened to the songs over and over on repeat not by choice but to make sure the songs were complete and ended up humming along, then memorized the song titles and before I knew it, I liked a whole album for the first time. I then downloaded Dont Fear the Reaper by HIM which was a cover and gave it a listen and was beyond belief this was all Ville because of how his voice changed over time. I bought a legit copy of Dark light at a local store, then downloaded the rest of what I could find. However over the next few months, I completed my collection by getting some money together from an old family friend and saving up. And after that, I was officially hooked. What made them unique in my eyes was their live performances at the time, I sound like a broken record lol but I loved how they were able to create an atmosphere that was different from album to album and tour to tour. The Venus doom era will always be my favorite and will always make me wish i could go back in time to experience it a million times over because that to me solidified what i loved about their sound. Ville dropping his voice sounding like johnny cash, linde going all out as a guitarist and Burtons piano effects all made me feel this was perfect. The rest as they say is history

Offline Kaysa

• Picciotto
  • Let's get these teen hearts beating faster, faster
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
Good to know I'm not the only one one the late train! :D

This seems to be a bit of the theme here, I was also pretty late to the party : D
I had 3 or 4 songs from a friend - Killing Loneliness, Rip Out The Wings Of A Butterfly, and The Kiss of Dawn (and possibly Join Me) - and I vaguely liked those. Then I went to Ireland for a while in 2014 and wanted to get something as a souvenir. And when I looked through this shop's used CD collection I found Dark Light. It was the only CD I was kind of interested in and as soon as I was able to listen to it, I immediately fell in love : D
Still adore Under The Rose

I also totally used to have a crush on Ville in the Summer Wine video when that was on TV in, like, 2007 :'D
Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close