Author Topic: Update On New Album  (Read 12025 times)

Offline lastxcallforsin

Update On New Album
« on: January 19, 2007, 03:10:42 AM »
Was flipping through the new issue of Revolver and found an article on HIM. There is a new interview where Ville talks about the new album. Found it scanned by lisa007 on the official heartagram forum. I'll transcribe it below since the text is small.

“2006 WAS A WEIRD YEAR,” reflects HIM frontman Ville Valo, sipping a beer at his local pub in Helsinki, Finland. “A lot of personal shit hit the fan, and I have a lot of friends that have been getting really ill, just out of the blue. I know two people who are in comas in the hospital right now. Whereas, in the real of rock and roll, everything is perfect!”

Indeed, most bands would gladly laser off their tattoos to have the kind of success HIM enjoyed in 2006. The goth-metal quintet rocked its way across Europe, North America, and Asia, playing one sold-out venue after another; and its 2005 album, Dark Light, hit the 500,000 sales mark in the U.S. becoming the first-ever record by a Finnish band to go gold in America. But last September, on the eve of their second stateside tour of 2006, HIM abruptly cancelled their entire remaining concert itinerary, outing the need to work on new material.

“I was burned out,” Valo admits. “We’d been doing the same-old same-old, playing the same songs every night all over the world. We’d already done two tours in America since Dark Light came out, so why the fuck were we doing exactly the same thing all over again? I just wasn’t in the mental state to do it -- I was already looking forward to the end of it, before we even started. Rather then boring everybody to death, we’d rather excite everybody to death,” he chuckles.

To hear Valo describe it, the new HIM material does indeed sound exciting -- albeit markedly different from what fans of the poppy Dark Light may be expecting. “It’s like Black Sabbath’s Master of Reality meeting with My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless,” he says. “It’s going to be super melodic, and the vocals are going to be soft and sentimental, but the guitars are going to be in your face all the fucking time. We’ve been studying all our Black Sabbath albums and putting at least four excellent guitar riffs in every song. It’s like full-blown heavy metal for those headbangers who still want to hold a handkerchief in their hands, in case they might drop a tear. People are probably going to hate it, but we’ll see what happens,” he laughs.

With most of the new songs already written, the band plans to began recording in March at a studio in Helsinki with Dark Light producer Tim Palmer behind controls. We're hoping to get Hiili Hiilesmaa, who was the producer on [2003's] Love Metal, to coproduce it with Tim," says Valo. "The two of them did a couple tracks of our compilation album, [2004's] And Love Said No, and they worked really well together. We're trying to sort that out now"

Though the band enjoyed recording Dark Light in Los Angeles, Valo says everyone’s happy to be doing this one is Helsinki. “We were looking into different studios all around the world,” he explains, “but after touring for so long, it just felt right to do it where everyone can relax and feel safe. By the time the album’s finished, everyone will have been back at home for such a long time, they’ll be dying to go out and just tour the world. And that’s quite important,” he laughs, “since we’re probably going to have to tour extra long to convince people that it’s a good album!”
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:25:37 AM by lastxcallforsin »

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
  • I love my Sacrament sweethearts! :-)
Re: Update On New Album
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:15:24 AM »
Neat. Thanks.

Softer Vocals. Heavy Guitars.
I like the sound of that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:18:18 AM by It's Love Cancer »

Offline Tauriainen

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:46:44 AM »
With most of the new songs already written, the band plans to began recording in March at a studio in Helsinki with Dark Light producer Tim Palmer behind controls.
MUTTER FU.......

Thats it, another album gone terribly fucked up.

Well from what I have heard Hiili will have his hands completely busy, since he has to work on four other Albums of other bands.
I know Entwine wants to work on their upcoming album as well, plus he has a Punk album at the works too.
And the guy looks like in his early 30's, brilliant bastard I must say.

Sorry but the description he gave already sounds like Dark Light Two with more glittery gay stuff.

“since we’re probably going to have to tour extra long to convince people that it’s a good album!”
You bet your fucking ass.

Pathetic.

Offline Alone I Break

• Te Amo mi amor con todo mi corazon
  • Mobbed Up
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:58:04 PM »
i like the sound of heave guitars but i wont get my panties wet just yet and wont til i hear some good fucking music from this guys don't get me wrong i still love HIM as much as i did before but after dark light i want something new i want that feeling i got when i bought RR on its first release..............

Offline Len777

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »
my friend is a intern at warner bros. in nyc and his cubicle is right next to the sire portion of the office he told me the other day they were blasting demos from the new him album and he told me the song they were playing reminded him of right here in my arms the sound of it any way. and that it sounded much heavier than dark light. i was pretty excited. hopefully the album turns out how the demos did. :)

Offline Tauriainen

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 05:07:35 PM »
they were blasting demos
Thats the magical word.
Demos are often times Raw, but if the label thinks something should be fixed here and there, you get another Dark Light.
It is normal to feel that way.

Offline Len777

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »
i get what your're saying, but hopefully we don't get another dark light. i have faith in the guys i think they are gonna have a good surprise for us.

Offline SolitaryHeartache

• is Drunk on Shadows...and beer.
  • Mobbed Up
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:20:06 PM »
I think we are all, wishing, hoping, praying for the best.

Otherwise alot of us will be saying the best days are long gone.

Do us proud!

Offline NEGATIVE nancy (freewm3)

• Associate
  • The only game I know is strip solitaire
    • My myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 11:40:09 PM »
Hilli should just do the whole thing. He does great. Palmer over produces everything

kornworshiperus8

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 01:13:40 AM »
YAY!!!!! Now I'm all excited! I can't wait for the new cd. I'm looking forward to listening to it. I LOVE the heavy side of HIM, and to hear it again (because Greatest Love Songs vol. 666 to me was their heaviest), yeah, that makes me happy. They kind of strayed away from it, and that wasn't a BAD thing, but yeah, hearing Linde just jam off on the guitar (like the outro to "The Path" a personal favorite outro of mine) just makes me smile, and really love rock music. HIM makes music so lovely and sweet, even at heavy times. Their gothic sound is very unique, and I just can't wait to hear what Ville has come up with! (such a great mind he has!)

Offline Mat1az

• Picciotto
  • I unlit the light to embrace the dark
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 04:47:18 PM »
Didn't Ville say they were done with that overproduced music? So why do they call Tim Palmer for the next album again?

I just hope that the promices about the album is true this time around... :/

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »
I met Ville, told him I love the music no matter what goes on with it...

I keep my word.

But yet, this was two years ago.

Gemma

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »
I met Ville, told him I love the music no matter what goes on with it...
remind me to quote you on that in another two years time when HIM release "dark razorblade shadows & light 666 - The Country and western years"

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 10:52:06 PM »
Lol...

Yeah. Call me.

Offline Mat1az

• Picciotto
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 06:21:35 AM »
Dark Razorblade Shadows... ha ha, that sounded pretty cool :)

Offline Jerry Lee

• It's Love Cancer baby
  • A Fucking Legend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »
Deep Razorblade And Brilliant Romance

EMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneone

Offline Steel

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
i'm excited can't wait to hear some new stuff.. like len said tho i hope its not like dark light

Offline The Bloody Glove

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »
Greatest Lovesongs Vol. 777  8)

Offline Mat1az

• Picciotto
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 04:11:19 AM »
...wel they could do a version 616 :P

Offline valo66.6

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »
i hope HIM releases the buried alive by love (rescue me version) from cky4 .....fuckin would love to hear a good version of that out.
I hope its a mix of love metal and razorblade romance..with a mix of new shit...Linde needs some more guitar solos like razorblade kiss because dark light had fuck all when it came to solos.
Dont Fear -{H}-{I}-{M}- The Reaper

Offline Jay

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
Don't they always say the next album's going to be heavier than the last?  It's kinda like when bands say "the next album is way different from anything we've done before" and when it comes out, it's pretty much the same result.

Maybe that it started heavier/different, but after it goes through the system, it's the same polished shit we had before. 

That said, I am looking forward to this new album...when we find out the name of it, we'll have to do another guess the cover thread like we did for Dark Light.

Offline roger valo

• Mobbed Up
  • In joy and sorrow my home is in your arms
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
i read in him 666  that they already have a demo song of the new album, what do you know about it?
Cuantas veces??? Cuantas veces sea necesario

Offline The Bloody Glove

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »
that we will probably never hear it. >:(

Offline dahaka

• Picciotto
  • Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 02:12:05 AM »
I've read that they have demos for all the songs and that probably in march will enter the studio to start recordin! ,,, guess we will never hear those demos...

Offline Jay

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 01:14:10 PM »
I think Len666's intern friend should work late one night to steal borrow the demo for us.... :)